B-King won't rev past 7k?????

Red5

Registered
Had a fuel pump go south and I changed it out with one i bought on ebay. This one. FPF Fuel Pump Suzuki B-King (GSX1300) 2008-2010, Replaces Suzuki 15100-23H00 | eBay

The bike ran fine after the install. I let it sit for a few months and when I went out to
20201110_172808.jpg
ride the bike would not rev past 7k. I did some research and someone found a faulty kickstand switch to be the culprit. I cut the wires on the kickstand switch and tied them together. While I n the garage the bike would then rev all the way up. Problem solved, nope. I go out to ride it today and it is doing the exact same thing. The bike won't rev past 7k. And if I hold the throttle wide open in neutral the bike will only rev to 4-5k and then fluctuate.

This feels electrical. Not sure where to start. I would change fuel pumps but the kickstand switch did something when I tried to bypass it, so I am thinking the problem may be elsewhere.

You guys know how I can fix this problem? I was supposed to go racing tonight, guess not.

Removed the fuel tank to check for a kincked line. Also checked all connections. When you turn on the key your fuel pump will prime the system. Can you tell if this is enough flow from this pump?

Trust us, this is a known issue with all 2nd gen B-kings and Busas... Clean the secondary injectors and let that thin eat...

Are you saying that my fuel flow was not enough? If this thing puts out enough fuel volume at the correct fuel pressure then my problem is not fuel pump related.

Does it flow enough?

Well if that’s all the fuel you got out on a prime I would do the filter mod. What’s your static fuel psi while running?

I've heard of this fuel filter mod. Not having much luck finding a good thread with a step by step. YOu have a good link? I'll give it a try tonight.

Is this the best thread we have?

Removed the fuel pump. It has no external filter attached. Thought those were on all bikes? And do you think this surface rust on the top of the fuel tank needs to be addressed?

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

@Red5

rusty tank?

if you "store" a bike with a steel tank for 3 months or longer
either
with 100% full of fuel (best without any ethanol)
or
100% empty with wide open cap

(empty and without the cap i have several steel tanks in my garage and there is no rust inside em)

the rust should be chemically converted - I personally advise against an internal coating

and i you have not yet get the manual a.s.a.p. and if bk is not available the one from the gen2 busa helos a lot too.

@Red5

rusty tank?

if you "store" a bike with a steel tank for 3 months or longer
either
with 100% full of fuel (best without any ethanol)
or
100% empty with wide open cap

(empty and without the cap i have several steel tanks in my garage and there is no rust inside em)

the rust should be chemically converted - I personally advise against an internal coating

and i you have not yet get the manual a.s.a.p. and if bk is not available the one from the gen2 busa helos a lot too.
Got a link on what I need to do?

The fuel filter is internal. Look into the picks in the thread I linked. You have to drill a hole to bypass then install an external filter

@Red5 welcome, and that is a great all-black B-King. That's the best one. Red 5 is from Star Wars I presume?

That said may I hijack the thread just a little bit? Would any of you gurus recommend adding an external filter early on in a bike's life, allowing one to swap the filter every couple of years? In the old days a fuel filter may have lasted forever. Today, even kept clean, I have concerns about ethanol eating it up and shortening its life, or filling it with materials that the ethanol eats up. Would you consider this mod on a clean bike excessive or smart?

Back