Axle bolt covers

djd928761

Registered
Any recommendations on installing axle bolt covers? I purchased this set for my 2007.

suzuki hayabusa axle dress up kit in black anodized

It comes with the threaded rods that need to be cut to length. Thats not much of an issue. Concern I have is that the rod is pretty thin and axle hole inner diameters are much wider. I'd think that this would make the covers wobble or be uncentered. Do I need some sort of inner spacer. I

My other concern is not having the cotter pin on the rear axle bolt.

Any recommendations/ threads or install pic's would be helpful.

Thanks

If you have to remove the cotter pin to install it, I would not do it. As far as mounting them using the rod, I would think that the caps would fit over the nut on each end, holding it from wobbling around.

I agree with Sous, DO NOT remove the cotter pin. The rod is threaded so that each end will screw into the axle caps. It seems the axle caps you have were not designed to be used with an axle bolt that uses a cotter pin. There are self locking axle bolts that you can buy that doesn't use the cotter pin I believe.

BMW5

The caps for rear axles sit into a groove on the new adjusting blocks keeping them centered, and the rod is more than enough because all it does is hold the 2 caps together. As far as the cotter pin, you do not need to remove it just modify it a bit, shorten it a bit where the cap insert will still slide into the axle or just use some like a hog ring. Cotter pin does not have to go thru both sides of axle as one side is plenty, pin just merely stops nut from working it's way loose and has no force on it at all. Just put the pin in one hole, pull it out of center of axle and then turn it right back up onto itself and trim length as needed to fit cap over it. Have been doing it for many years and never once had a problem, never even removed a pin which had any tension on it from the nut.

And btw you can find the exact same kits on e-bay for less than half that price. D2Moto was selling them for $14.99 but I think they finally ran out of them. And yes, it's the same exact kit. No matter what they try to say.

EB:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fork...Accessories&hash=item5ae0eded7b#ht_2629wt_965

That looks similar to the kit that I bought years ago. The threaded rods don't need to be cut to length. You just have to match up the right one to the location you're putting it. The covers don't turn with the wheel so they won't wobble or be uncentered.

Back