Chain

GP2001

Registered
Granted I m new to this style of bike. Went to loosen axle to adjust chain realized there no cotter pin in axle to keep nut from backing off. Never seen axle nut on that tight, I guess thats why. Whats proper torqe on the axle. Had to put on socket and hammer it loose. Does it need to be that tight?

[QUOTE, suppose to be pretty snug then. And me wondering, thanks for info. Need to read more.

The first time on both new Hayabusa's my brother , and I own was quiet tight . I think someones impact gun @ the build plant is off lol.

Hmmm. I can't say I recall going that tight on mine. Now I guess I need to wonder. What is the effects of it being under torqued? I am s ugged plus whatever it took to align it for the cotter. Nothing will back out and it feels normal. So what would be my downside I don't know about?

Hmmm. I can't say I recall going that tight on mine. Now I guess I need to wonder. What is the effects of it being under torqued? I am s ugged plus whatever it took to align it for the cotter. Nothing will back out and it feels normal. So what would be my downside I don't know about?

I would think, if it's waaay undertorqued, that the swingarm might not be squeezed together far enough to let all the collars snug down, and you might have side-side movement of the wheel on the axle...just a guess....

Torque it to spec,you don't want that wheel moving in the swing arm which could cause damage or accident,to tight and you could damage bearing's

Last edited:
I just don't recall torquing it. I'm positive it isn't loose, but it may not be 70 ft/lbs either. I'll pull the pin and see how close I got one of these days. I have no uneven tire wear or anything. Feels normal. Its officially on my list now.

Back