C Clip removal on axle nut

Delgado

Formerly known as KAI
Registered
I posted in another thread asking this question but figured it would get more attention if I just went ahead and made my own thread. I did a search and apparently I'm the only idiot that doesn't know how to do this lol.

I'm about to adjust my chain and read in that thread to remove a cotter pin from the axle nut to loosen it. I don't know if the pre 08 bikes are different but mine doesn't have a cotter pin there. I have a tiny c clip in place with very little space to remove it. Just wondering for people that have done this, what did you do to remove that clip from out of there? I'd hate to screw up the threads trying to remove this dang thing :banghead:

I simply pried mine off with a small screwdriver....

This is just great news. When I changed my rear tire a few months ago I noticed that there was no cotter pin like my Gen I had, but there was no retainer period. Now I'll have to look on the show room floor and buy one at the dealership. However my '08 has close to 7K on it now. Guess I've been lucky or they stopped using this at some point. I did buy my '08 just a few months prior to the release of the '09's. ???

Yea this sucks. I actually just noticed there are 2 separate clips which is even worse >.< I'll try to take a pic of it. I'll also try the screw driver method if I can find me some small enough. Thanks so far

I'm guessing that you're talking spanner clip. I typically use a small screw driver as well.

Like I said in my first post, I'm an idiot. Those aren't clips and I didn't have to take them off. At first when I was loosening the nut, it got tighter so I figured those were holding it in place. After I got desperate, I just put more force and it eventually got loose. Thanks everyone for the input :beerchug:

There should be a cotter pin there.
Cut off the narrow end, or straighten it out, and pull out the large end with a plier.
If it is not clearly visible, it is not there.
You can't get the socket on with the cotter pin in so that is how you will know.
I replaced mine with a hitch pin clip for faster service.

Rear Axle clip.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said in my first post, I'm an idiot. Those aren't clips and I didn't have to take them off. At first when I was loosening the nut, it got tighter so I figured those were holding it in place. After I got desperate, I just put more force and it eventually got loose. Thanks everyone for the input :beerchug:

Glad you were able to get it off...don't be afraid to ask us for help :thumbsup:

There should be a cotter pin there.
Cut off the narrow end, or straighten it out, and pull out the large end with a plier.
If it is not clearly visible, it is not there.
You can't get the socket on with the cotter pin in so that is how you will know.
I replaced mine with a circlip for faster service.

Read what forum we are in brother :rulez:

Gen2 does not use a cotter pin :whistle:

Right, neither do any Gen 1's outside US and Canada.
My pic is for info for anyone else reading the thread who is interested.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Well, in this thread it only confuses the issue...

I know that you are trying to be helpful, but there are MANY differences between the two Generations...I own BOTH and I was thinking WTF is this guy talking about. I almost went to the shop manual to check on it.

I always try and look at what forum the thread is in AND what year the bike in question is, as well as what Mods, mileage, and service history. Without ALL the info how can anyone offer a proper opinion as to what the problem might be ???

Last edited:
Well, in this thread it only confuses the issue...

I know that you are trying to be helpful, but there are MANY differences between the two Generations...I own BOTH and I was thinking WTF is this guy talking about. I almost went to the shop manual to check on it.

I always try and look at what forum the thread is in AND what year the bike in question is, as well as what Mods, mileage, and service history. Without ALL the info how can anyone offer a proper opinion as to what the problem might be ???

I don't think he was anymore confused, but again thanks for setting everyone straight.
If anything he can see where it goes on a Gen 1 now.
How about I post, and whoever gets something out of it will, and you feel free to correct me anytime you like.
Sorry again you still haven't gotten over the HOON thing.

Hey KAI, glad you got it BTW. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The 'what' thing ???

Many times when YOU are the first one to respond in a thread, and you have a answer for a Gen1...and it's a Gen2 thread...it confuses EVERYBODY trying to respond to the thread.

Dude YOU need to get over the four letter word thing...if anybody wants to use a word that is synonymous with using the words...c**t, f**k, or being a homosexual, and overly gay...I don't really care.

:laugh: another thread goes down in smoke. Both of you guys are extremely helpful around here. I'm just glad my bikes not missing something :rofl:

Back