cotter pin

rocktober

Registered
no more cotter pins on the rear axle i guess ,.......i got to tighten my chain after 100 miles it had 2 in of play in it.....

no more cotter pins on the rear axle i guess ,.......i got to tighten my chain after 100 miles it had 2 in of play in it.....
Not unusual to have to do this early-on to a brand-new, big-bore machines. My chain showed a good 40mm of play at about 125 miles. Re-adjusted to 25mm; I should go take another look now that it's been several hundred miles since that adjustment....

no more cotter pins on the rear axle i guess ,.......i got  to tighten my chain after 100 miles it had 2 in of play in it.....
I noticed the lack of a cotter pin as well while checking the bike over. (Just brought it home last night). Looks to be a self locking nut of some kind. Scary to look at when you are used to big old cotter pin hanging out.

I would keep the chain pretty loose...the suspension guy at the track suggested keeping it a loose as possible as long as it doesn't skip or drag hit the mid-pipe...

What, no pictures....

Ok, here is a picture...

DSC02781.jpg

I would keep the chain pretty loose...the suspension guy at the track suggested keeping it a loose as possible as long as it doesn't skip or drag hit the mid-pipe...
I question that.
As a general guideline, it is, in fact, better for the chain to be a pinch loose than it is to have it be a pinch tight. But within reason.... to have it "loose as possible as long as it doesn't skip" or smack the undercarriage, etc, that seems a bit problematic.

Personally, for street riding, I don't see an advantage to purposely keep the chain adjusted such that it has greater than 30mm of play (this ASSumes the chain is in good shape and can maintain its adjustment). If the chain is knackered, has tight spots, stretched areas, etc, that's a different story.

I didn't notice the lack of cotter until I failed tech at El Mirage. Had to go hustle up a drill and install one.

Back