Auction Site Going Away

Have you guys ever seen the local news.... They have those teasers that sound something like this "How safe is your child drinking milk, we checked it out and found 30 kids dead, watch at ten for whole story" makes you wonder what would happen between 6 and ten, kids dont drink any milk......... Let dad check it out......

My heartfelt desire for this site was free access to all the members.... the information on the board is good for everyone to know, we have hundreds of lurkers every day because they see value in the information.... I never want to start playing favorites, I think that I have been very fair across the board. Some of my favorite members here are ones that have very little, I will not ask them to pay for access nor will I deny them access because of their social or economic position. There is a solution out there, I just havent worked hard enough to find it. There has to be a way to keep this place open to the masses, that is what Hayabusa.org is all about...... I deeply believe that we have a unique group here and that we could as a group make changes that span this country..... Why would I isolate a few, I need everyone as much as they need the site.....

CAp

i personally hate that the auction site is going away but i completely understand why it has to happen...i don't want to see it go for very selfish reasons- if i saw something that i liked i put up what i would pay for it and i don't think i was ever outbid...that was great for me but would stink for the sellers...just not enough traffic and interested parties...back when the sales went through the forum, i was outbid on a regular basis (thanks to NJ and Pac)...anyway, i have supported the auction site as best i could and will move on to whatever we do next to keep this baby afloat (just made my december donation)...i love it here...thanks for letting me hang around
beerchug.gif

(NightCrawler @ Dec. 05 2006,10:34) Aside from my ~EBAY getting more traffic~ theory, I don't think people didn't use the auction site because they didn't like change. My thoughts on that is this:

How many times have you gone to a grocery store and forgot to buy what you intended to buy but ended up buying something you didn't plan on buying simply because you walked past it?

That's how I feel about the old forums. I seldomly scrolled down to the classified section. 98% of the sales I viewed were because I clicked on "New Posts". Example, I bought a set of lowering links from a member here a while back. I didn't log on looking for a set. Instead, I logged on, clicked NEW POSTS, saw the posted sale, and bought it. I didn't actually come here looking for it though.

I'm not sure if you can understand where I'm coming from as I may not be explaining myself correctly.
 Me too! Auction site sucked! It was like New old stock or? Or just buy it to help the ORG! I and most if they want to admit it would go to the 4 sale in new posts if you want to or not! I made a comment in the other post on this so if Cap lets me stay! How do you all know when the ORG tank is getting low? We need a fuel gage Cap! I just helped out but I'm the type that won't bug ya if ya ain't yellin for help! But in the Gator pit I'll go if I know you do.  
bowdown.gif

beerchug.gif

btw CAp, when you planning on killing it? i was just wondering because i have my eye on one more item i would like to get before you turn the masses loose to run up the prices
laugh.gif

Hey that sounds like a great idea.... I'll be back on here in a second... gotta go "behind the curtain".

I have to agree with other posts on here, I checked out the Auction Site and never saw anything that peeked my interest. It's a cool idea, but ya gotta have stuff on there to buy for people to shop.
sad.gif

Perhaps there is a way to intergrate the companies sponsoring the .org into the Auction site? If you are a sponsoring company you don't get charged the fee? Might drum up sponsors and breath enough life into the Auction site to get individuals to start posting up stuff they have for sale. Don't know.

I still think setting up a monthly auto-donate is the way to go. $5-$10 a month automatically re-billed for all those that want to sign up using a credit card.

It's Gotta be Easy,

Most everybody can afford $5 a month or so, and if you make it automatic it's painless.

Just do it Cap, and lets quit talking about it. Don't make it mandatory, but develop a different spinny Ball icon for monthly contributers and lets get a move on.

I simply forget to donate as it is. I don't mean to NOT donate, I just don't think about it, it doesn't come up.

This board is about the LAST Hayabusa Board Standing, the others are failing/failed, or too full of girly clicks and a55holes. So this one needs to remain up and running and I think automatic billing of $5-10 a month is the way to go.

ANYTHING to GET rid of this constant threat to the family of "Going to shut the Board Down" That's gotta stop. Sell the board to someone else, or lets finally get a REAL financial solution worked out.

POST UP THE BILLS, LETS HAVE IT ALL IN THE OPEN! THEN NOBODY CAN CLAIM YOUR LINING YOUR POCKETS!!!!!

POST UP THE EXPENSES, THE SCANNED images or the ELECTRONIC DOCS. Let EVERYONE see the REAL COSTS of running the board and then all debate can stop and we can set up a donation/autobilling plan.

I agree with Rev on getting on with the monthly donations...as I said behind the scenes, those that are willing to donate each month are also the same members that WILL NOT make others feel bad for not donating...that's not how we work here. There will still be free access to all that want it, but there are many here willing to help month to month to help keep it open for everyone, no pressure to be in that group, just something we won't mind doing...

I think it would help resolve a lot of burden Doug...and like Rev said, I don't really think to "just donate" but if I could set something up month-to-month, I'd gladly do it...

I have my CC automaticly billed $5 each month for the Humane Society of CT. I'd sign up this minute to do the same with this website if the option were available. LET'S DO IT
beerchug.gif

(monster @ Dec. 05 2006,13:23) I have my CC automaticly billed $5 each month for the Humane Society of CT.  I'd sign up this minute to do the same with this website if the option were available.  LET'S DO IT  
beerchug.gif
cool.gif
idea

(MC MUSTANG @ Dec. 05 2006,12
zzwhip.gif
) Guys -
CAp has been saying the same thing since I have been here, which is that, there is not and will not be a fee for membership here... kind of gotta let that one go folks...

The right answer here is for us to donate on our own, what we can, when we can.  We can post up all the threads in the world, but we need to understand that the CAp is vehemently opposed to charging any type of fees.  My recommendation is to throw something the boards way when:
Someone sends you something that saves you a bunch of money
Someone posts up a walk through that saves you time, effort and a bunch of money
Some sells something on the board, some small percentage, etc.

Just some thoughts,
MCM
MC,

I think all of us that have been here a few years realize this. However, we also have heard over the same time that the site can't continue to operate without some type of financial support.

Without fail, EVERY time this comes up, dozens, if not more, people offer to join some type of "pay to view" area of the site. I am not so arrogant as to tell Doug how to run this place, but I personally feel the time has come to change the status quo. If this is another round of the same cycle, we will be seeing the same subject come up again in 6 months.

All right Cap, you've heard the opinions of all.

Set up an auto-donate feature based on a credit card and make it easy for us to support on a monthly basis. That way there is no REQUIREMENT for it, but it is easy to do. That should add a few hundred a month to the coffers.

If you get disgusted and shut this thing down people are going to drive to OKCity to hurt you, and nobody wants that to happen.

Help US, to help YOU, to help ALL of us.

smile.gif

(Revlis @ Dec. 05 2006,13:09) I still think setting up a monthly auto-donate is the way to go.  $5-$10 a month automatically re-billed for all those that want to sign up using a credit card.  

It's Gotta be Easy,

Most everybody can afford $5 a month or so, and if you make it automatic it's painless.

Just do it Cap, and lets quit talking about it.  Don't make it mandatory, but develop a different spinny Ball icon for monthly contributers and lets get a move on.

I simply forget to donate as it is.  I don't mean to NOT donate, I just don't think about it, it doesn't come up.

This board is about the LAST Hayabusa Board Standing, the others are failing/failed, or too full of girly clicks and a55holes.  So this one needs to remain up and running and I think automatic billing of $5-10 a month is the way to go.
I agree with you rev 100% make it automatic Im in for 5 to 10 a month what ever is needed
beerchug.gif

i am all for the auto donate, it makes it easier for someone like me that has to many irons in the fire to remember ever month.

(Revlis @ Dec. 05 2006,16:09) I still think setting up a monthly auto-donate is the way to go. $5-$10 a month automatically re-billed for all those that want to sign up using a credit card.

It's Gotta be Easy,

Just do it Cap, and lets quit talking about it. Don't make it mandatory, but develop a different spinny Ball icon for monthly contributers and lets get a move on.

I simply forget to donate as it is. I don't mean to NOT donate, I just don't think about it, it doesn't come up.

This board is about the LAST Hayabusa Board Standing, the others are failing/failed, or too full of girly clicks and a55holes. So this one needs to remain up and running and I think automatic billing of $5-10 a month is the way to go.

ANYTHING to GET rid of this constant threat to the family of "Going to shut the Board Down" That's gotta stop. Sell the board to someone else, or lets finally get a REAL financial solution worked out.

POST UP THE BILLS, LETS HAVE IT ALL IN THE OPEN! THEN NOBODY CAN CLAIM YOUR LINING YOUR POCKETS!!!!!

POST UP THE EXPENSES, THE SCANNED images or the ELECTRONIC DOCS. Let EVERYONE see the REAL COSTS of running the board and then all debate can stop and we can set up a donation/autobilling plan.
+1

Most things in life a hand full do most of the work or donating while the rest enjoy.

I'd be very willing to do a monthly recurring donation and don't give a rats azz who else doesn't give or why. I'm willing to donate to keep the site going because I want to help out and keep the pressure off of you cap.

I don't look at it as singling any one out. I don't even care about putting a special icon or what that I am a monthly donating member. I wouldn't care if I and just a handfull of the org members would be the only donating members paying to keep the org going for the rest of the public to enjoy.

Not sure how anyone else would feel about that but I for one would hate to see the place go when I can and am willing to help out with a voluntary monthly donation.

Well looks like the problem is solved. Can't there be a monthly E mail sent to all members reminding them to send in a payment? I have gotten them from other sites!  
all_coholic.gif

Thanks for starting the donation thread. I would challenge the mods to give us "membership" members some kind of way of identification.

I think the balls are good for donations but people who are "vested" should get something different.

I also want to say that Doug, I am sorry to hear that you have other things causing stress in your life. I have to admit that I feel you have been neglecting us because you rarely post in our conversations and when you check into the chat room its a hello and then silence until you leave.

I don't mind helping you with this vision but I would like to see you post the occasional "whats going on with CAp" thread.

Of course I say this with the up most respect and I hope that you understand that we want you back as a member and not just a worker.

(8Daytona8 @ Dec. 05 2006,18:58) Well looks like the problem is solved. Can't there be a monthly E mail sent to all members reminding them to send in a payment? I have gotten them from other sites!  
all_coholic.gif
tpbio is gonna do a reminder thread on the first of every month. Maybe we can get somebody to send PMs to everyone. Kinda like Professor did a couple months ago.
rock.gif

I used the auction site, paid the fee, no biggie, it provided a service. I think it works better because there is no saying " the other guy was first or he offered more than I asked so I sold it to him instead even though you were first..."

I just donated, no biggie, I like the site and will help when asked but as the head guy at a large retail establishment I get whacked for every GD thing that somebody wants or needs a donation for... Personally I am sick of donations. The local police have hit me up at least six times this year for $35 or more, today was for "send a cop to shop", the Fire dept hit me at least three times this year. I give to them too. The AIDS clinic is upstairs in my building and they asked for stuff for the "Holiday Function" the MDA locked me up and wanted $250 to let me out. I give to the boy scouts and the girl scouts and every other "kid friendly thing" that comes along. I turn away at least 3 people a week and they think I'm an A-hole for doing so... I could be in the poorhouse and they'd still ask for something.

My opinion which I'm sure nobody cares about is don't call anything "FREE" if its gonna cost somebody something to keep it going. I rather be told "this much a month" then see somebody with their hand out. If you need to charge, then charge.

I'll get off of my soapbox,

Grumpy (and yes this is how I earned my name...)

(DNGrumpy @ Dec. 05 2006,20:07) I used the auction site, paid the fee, no biggie, it provided a service.  I think it works better because there is no saying " the other guy was first or he offered more than I asked so I sold it to him instead even though you were first..."

I just donated, no biggie, I like the site and will help when asked but as the head guy at a large retail establishment I get whacked for every GD thing that somebody wants or needs a donation for...  Personally I am sick of donations.  The local police have hit me up at least six times this year for $35 or more, today was for "send a cop to shop", the Fire dept hit me at least three times this year. I give to them too.  The AIDS clinic is upstairs in my building and they asked for stuff for the "Holiday Function"  the MDA locked me up and wanted $250 to let me out.  I give to the boy scouts and the girl scouts and every other "kid friendly thing" that comes along.  I turn away at least 3 people a week and they think I'm an A-hole for doing so...  I could be in the poorhouse and they'd still ask for something.

My opinion which I'm sure nobody cares about is don't call anything "FREE" if its gonna cost somebody something to keep it going.  I rather be told "this much a month" then see somebody with their hand out.  If you need to charge, then charge.

I'll get off of my soapbox,

Grumpy (and yes this is how I earned my name...)
This is exactly why I dont like donations or charging fees.......

Back