Auction Site Going Away

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to lay it on the line here......

I've tried everything that I know to do to keep this place open. There is a relationship on this site between members, sponsors and the board staff.

We get as many sponsors as we can, I've given trial time so the sponsors can test the traffic out that we send to them... I am getting more and more reports from the sponsors that we are sending decent amounts of traffic to their websites but no one is buying. This creates a decision for them, keep advertising or cut and run.. Many are leaving or have already left. This leaves a huge financial gap that someone has to pay.

I dont know what else to do, frankly I'm pretty beat down.... I made 81.00 in 3 months on the auction site.... I never even recouped the cost of the auction software..... One of my favorite all time members that used to frequent here was Thinker62... Greg told me one time that I went through periods where I just had enough, he had it tracked down to a couple time a year, Im having one of those times now.

I dont have anything to offer, I cant sell ads because the members wont use the sponsors. I think everyone has a closet full of shirts. The auction site is too complicated and to top it off it seems the members think I'm a selfish bastard trying to make a fortune.......

I am going to open the forums back up for sales threads, I need to run this by the other Admins so they can come up with the rules and such.... I'm out of ideas, cash and to tell you the truth Im tired of fighting......

I have my own problems in my life right now... This place is a second job and its eating my family life and finances..... My intentions are not to get pity from the members just open dialog so that everyone knows what is going on......

Please don't jack my thread with we support you cap messages just tell me how happy you all are that sales are coming back to the board.

CAp

not too sure what to say other than I tried to support the auction site. Perhaps not as much as I should have, but I did try.
sad.gif

Cap, how about a $5-10 fee for listing in the for sale section... Or at least when something sells, the board gets a certain percentage or a set price (Like, Someone sold a busa for $10,000 so the board would get $50 of that) or something like that?

Honestly I believe most thought they could get more money auctioning off their item(s) on EBAY due to the heavier traffic.

As for what Yamahor said ... I agree. A variation could be a simple honor system. If you sell something here donate 5-10% of your earnings as a form of gratitude. I mean Cap can put something in place I'm sure, but I think most members here are honest enough to do it without having to do it.

(yamahor @ Dec. 04 2006,23:15) Cap, how about a $5-10 fee for listing in the for sale section... Or at least when something sells, the board gets a certain percentage or a set price (Like, Someone sold a busa for $10,000 so the board would get $50 of that) or something like that?
If you notice that since the auction site went up the 24 hour users online has gone down by about 100 a day. The honor system is only good as the persons honor.... Most of the folks that really want to sell on the site will never donate anything or offer anything for selling here. The site is seen as a free tool to most, who cares who pays for it, just use it then move on.

If they were going to give back to the site they would have done it before the auction site.......

Just watch and see who comes and sells on the board and never even created a login for the auction site. That should tell you alot about the intentions of the sellers. his will surely not be true in every case but I would bet more often than not.

Cap

I just didn't have anything to sell. I would've if I could've. I'll pay for an annual membership. Can't you just ding everyone for $4.99 a month and pay for the site that way?

--Wag--

I am not sure what you are saying Cap? Are you thinking about or coming to the point where you have to shut down this site?

Could it be set up so that only "donating" members are allowed to post in the for sale section?

I don't come to this site because it is about Hayabusa's anymore, I come here because you guys are like family to me. That is priceless to me Cap, and I will do everything I can to help this place out. You people have helped me and my family out tremendously in the last couple of days and I owe it back to everyone in everyway I can.

Another idea would be to have more raffles, but increase the price of the tickets Cap. People will pay an extra dollar or two, because they are still getting the chance to win a nice item for the price of a value meal at McDonalds.

You have great admins that take care of the site Cap, just sit down and figure out how to make money! Nobody here can say that they don't want you to make a profit off of this site, if they do, then they are not puting themselves in your shoes. We all have to make a living and you are no different. You can really find out who your true friends are when you ask for their help when you need it.

I am offering myself to help you and this site out. I am on here many hours a day and I love this place and you people!

-Randy

(300Busa @ Dec. 05 2006,00:46) I am not sure what you are saying Cap?  Are you thinking about or coming to the point where you have to shut down this site?  

Could it be set up so that only "donating" members are allowed to post in the for sale section?  

I don't come to this site because it is about Hayabusa's anymore, I come here because you guys are like family to me.  That is priceless to me Cap, and I will do everything I can to help this place out.  You people have helped me and my family out tremendously in the last couple of days and I owe it back to everyone in everyway I can.  

Another idea would be to have more raffles, but increase the price of the tickets Cap.  People will pay an extra dollar or two, because they are still getting the chance to win a nice item for the price of a value meal at McDonalds.  

You have great admins that take care of the site Cap, just sit down and figure out how to make money!  Nobody here can say that they don't want you to make a profit off of this site, if they do, then they are not puting themselves in your shoes.  We all have to make a living and you are no different.  You can really find out who your true friends are when you ask for their help when you need it.  

I am offering myself to help you and this site out.  I am on here many hours a day and I love this place and you people!

-Randy
I was wondering the same thing. I myself would pay a mebership fee. I too come here because of the people and not only because of the info concerning Hayabusas. I have suffered financial difficulties dealing with my grandparents and not really worked in the last month and a half. I have not sold  but have bought one or two items here and have had items donated and have donated items when I was down and have seen how members can pull together to help each other out. I donated to Rsd because he was a good guy and one of the reasons I have always enjoyed this site. He keeps the site interesting. People always pull together and help each other here. I am sure if we had a membership fee we would lose some members, but oh well. The main ones here would stay. I do not think that anyone should be able to sell on this site unless they are donating members. I would leave the buying open to keep possible customers open and to keep sales up. Maybe it is time to make this a membership site instead of a free site. I know you have been against this Cap. But It sounds like you are close to the end and this may be a necessity.

Perhaps it is because the auction site is not quick enough. I've noticed that the classified sections are hot because you can post something for sale and literally sell it the same day. If it's a long auction, though, people will be on other boards or eBay.

You could try quicker auctions. Or for board sponsors, negotiate incentives for members. Perhaps vendors offer a discount for board members to ensure traffic is coming from here and not being circumvented.

The truth is that the Internet has gotten bigger and faster and users are accustomed to it. With Google, eBay and other boards, people are just a few clicks away from finding the best bottom-line prices. That is some hefty competition to play with.

Also, if you're not getting turn-around revenue, it might be good to streamline bandwidth. I remember talking to Dennis (SH.org) a couple years back and he mentioned that he could never handle the bandwidth of image/movie downloads and galleries. I think it's great that those are offered, but if it's open and free, it's going to be abused. I would definitely look into either losing the 'baggage' or charging a premium for having on board.

Speaking of which, what is the bandwidth breakdown? I remember this has been an issue a few times in the past.

(Wag @ Dec. 04 2006,22:34) I just didn't have anything to sell.  I would've if I could've.  I'll pay for an annual membership.  Can't you just ding everyone for $4.99 a month and pay for the site that way?  

--Wag--
I am in agreement with Wag. Although $5/month might not seem like a lot to many of us. I am sure that it will help cover some expenses for keeping the board operational. For example if a 100 members pay $5/month. That's $500 for board expensives, etc. What do you think?
Donald

(Cuffee @ Dec. 05 2006,05:04)
(Wag @ Dec. 04 2006,22:34) I just didn't have anything to sell.  I would've if I could've.  I'll pay for an annual membership.  Can't you just ding everyone for $4.99 a month and pay for the site that way?  

--Wag--
I am in agreement with Wag. Although $5/month might not seem like a lot to many of us. I am sure that it will help cover some expenses for keeping the board operational. For example if a 100 members pay $5/month. That's $500 for board expensives, etc. What do you think?
Donald
i would be in for this. i myself have tried to support the auction sight. the last time i sold something in the for sale ads before the auction i gave half of that to the board, i think everone that sells on here needs to give a part back to the board, because if not for it they couldnt sell it. i up for whatever it takes to keep this forum going, i also do not come here just because its a hayabusa forum, i enjoy the brothers and sisters here. we can band together and keep it going.

Let me start by saying I'M NOT AGAINST A MEMBERSHIP FEE. But I think so many people viewed Cap as being "greedy" with the pety auction fee, that if he was to setup a monthly/annual fee he'd receive some major backlash.

Of course we may think ~oh well ... drastic times ...~, but he may not want to go through that.

I'm not trying to speak for Cap. All I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure many here wouldn't mind a $5 monthly fee, but in the eyes of many he'd be seen as a money grubber if he put that into effect.

Cap, I'm not sure you are giving the auction site a fair shake. Even though its and extension of the board, it is a new startup business. How many businesses are profitable in only 3 months? Narcissus has some good observations, maybe it just needs some tweeking.

A monthly charge would be OK with me. I know you want to keep the board free to all, but as yo observed, most people won't give unless they feel it is mandatory. If the Donating Member group were only good a year, how many people would balls?
There's an idea, time out the donating member group to remind people that its been a while. I don't know how long I went between donations, I'm sure alot of others forget too.

(NightCrawler @ Dec. 05 2006,07:36) Let me start by saying I'M NOT AGAINST A MEMBERSHIP FEE. But I think so many people viewed Cap as being "greedy" with the pety auction fee, that if he was to setup a monthly/annual fee he'd receive some major backlash.
Make it a pay-to play site. Take away posting, pm'ing priviledges of those that don't want to pay a membership fee and you'll never get another greedy bastage pm again. If they don't like it they can go play elsewhere or start thier own forum.

I bought from the auction site, but I guess auctions are not the answer.

Make it a straight $5 a month drafted from my checking account and I'll never miss it or forget it. Let new members have a 30 day trial free to find out it's worth it then let them to choose to look for free or have full priveleges for $5 a month. As for any "greedy bastige" azzhole comments, in the immortal words of our beloved Rev & Rubb-

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'></span>FUGG 'EM!!!
guns.gif

I'll gladly pay a monthly fee, and I think the idea of giving something "extra" for it (like, for example, posting, PM, search, and buy/sell privileges) will encourage people to join (otherwise, all you can do is look at the posts). Decide on a flat fee to become a donating member, and then a small monthly fee for privileges. Maybe offer a small discount for one-year memberships.

Motorcycle gear - $300
New Suzuki Hayabusa - $11000
Full tank of gas - soon to be your first born
Donating Member of Hayabusa.org - Yes you guessed it. Priceless.

Cap my Bonus check came in the mail yesterday.
wink.gif

$$$ coming you way.

I have dealings with 2 sponsors. And could not be happier. But there is only so much one can put on their bike or credit card. I wont look any further then our site sponsors as soon as I need new tires.

Back