Asphalt Mile - what sprockets?

JDRiderCoach

Registered
For you asphalt milers, what sprockets do you use for front and rear? Looking to try Mojave Mile again but want better results. Last year my Bonneville setup was terrible for acceleration, too tall. What's the best compromise between acceleration needed for a short run but also allowing for top speed at or above 200? thanks in advance for your repsonses.

JD

I dont know if you have a gen 2 or not but Josh (GotBusa) recommended to go with 18-41 for me. I have a stock motor gen 2 with pretty much the same mods that he had done when he hit 204 at Texas. Gen 1s are probably a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like big sprockets (less chain friction) so I would start with a combo front/rear that allows you to hit say 210 right at the sweet spot of your engines hp. I like to start with to much gearing than to little so I don't bonce the revs or somehow end up at the finish beyond the engines peak hp. After a few passes i would adjust the rear up or down based on what rpm I crossed the mile. I would focus on getting the peak hp right at the finish.

I have 17/39 on my 05 right now...Not sure what it will do for me in the mile...but will know in a couple of weeks. If I am still pulling at the end I may go back to 17/40....the only other sprocket I have is a 44:laugh:

thanks for the responses everyone. I have a Gen 1 with 1397 kit making about 200 hp. Last year at Mojave it was still stock bore. I was running 18/39 then swapped the rear for a 40 and when that sucked tried a 41. I think I'll go with a 17 front and try a variety of rears. I have a lot more power now, so hopefully will be better even if the gearing is tall. thanks again for your feedback.

I have a Gen 1 and will be trying my first LSD event at Mojave , i'm going to run 17-41 with a 200 tire has more roll out so I'm close to the stock gearing with a 190, bike is stock bore turing out 170 and 99 Ft lbs I would like to get into the 190ies.......

you mean LSR event. :laugh:

you might want to go with a 43.
I have a Gen 1 and will be trying my first LSD event at Mojave , i'm going to run 17-41 with a 200 tire has more roll out so I'm close to the stock gearing with a 190, bike is stock bore turing out 170 and 99 Ft lbs I would like to get into the 190ies.......

You really gotta get on it with a Gen1 stocker. A good launch will help get you through the gears and into th revs in 6th. Also you have to consider your own size/weight. The better you tuck the faster you'll go.

Depends on the power. 18/41 is good for 200 but with the elevation at Mojave you might be better off with OEM 17/40 Gen-I or 18/43 Gen-II. The elevation kills the power for N/A runs in 1-mile... :(

thats why im going to try 17-41 on my Gen 1 hopefuly the wind is not to bad for the first runs of the morning.......

17/41 on a Gen I is probably good to start. Bring a 40 and a 39 just in case.

I ran my '08 there last year with 19/41 and I couldn't get into 6th gear and ran 198MPH in 5th. 18/43 would have probably been perfect which is stock gearing for that bike.

I am running a 17/39 at Mojave this year, my first time. The gearing commander says its good for 207 @ 10800. We will see.

My first time also! Will see what she will do and then make changes for the Oct meet.............

Hi
doing my first mile race on 9 july.

But in Germany-Europe we got km so the event aimes on 300km/h which are 187.5 mph.
My Facts:
lightly modded Gen1 with Akra 4-1 and airboxmod
dynoed at 168 RWP ,limiter raised to 11.000 (ECU flash) Gregs Quickshifter installed
(a smooth Dryshot of 30Hp possible)
about 3" stretched with this gearing (chain has 128 links)
front lowered 1" (lowering triple tree)
rear lowered 1.5" at the moment but i can change links to -3"
me about 180lbs dressed
zero gravity screen (or original > i m short)
I choosed a 18-43 gearing for start. about equal to 17-41)
18 in front to have lower friction on chain but i have all sprockets from 40 to 44 so i can change.
Pilot Power tires (a ittle more pressure 45PSI)

What do you think about my gearing ?
How low should i set it in rear ?

I have another tail which is a bit higher than stock (pic shows lowered 2.5" rear)

139_JAS_8884.jpg

With your power, I'd say 18/43 is a good place to start.

What tire are you running? 50 or 55 series? Depending on the tire you might have to play with your gearing more depending on the diameter.

Back