Mojave Mile

JDRiderCoach

Registered
I'm back from my first mile event and all I can say is how humbled I am, and further convinced how special it is to go 200 mph. My best run was 167 mph. Strong winds, tall gearing and inexperienced rider, at least at the asphalt mile thing. Fastest bike was 194 on a ZX-12. Next fastest was 190 on a Gen 2Busa I think. Went through hell to get there. Long story short I broke the damn right handle bar when I dropped it off the ramp loading onto the truck! A local mechanic loaned me his off his personal ride. Then we had to rig a kill switch tether from a turn signal connector when we failed tech inspection in Mojave. Little scratched up, little ghetto repair but we still raced it. Working a simple two button camera also proved almost as difficult as going 200 mph but I did manage to get some footage. It's on facebook, not sure if it will link correctly or not. Log In | FacebookThe fun starts at the 3:26 mark. Despite my slow speed, it's still a rush to run a Busa up to 10 grand through all 6 gears and not die. Things I learned: launch hard, use the whole 40 ft start gate and pound that throttle as close to redline as you can before shifting. And of course don't go too tall with the gearing. Had my Bonneville setup of 18 and 39. Only brought one other 40 tooth. It was not much help. Only managed 5 runs but still had a BLAST. I'll do better at the next one, and the Big Red Camaro was awesome. Only vehicle of the day to do 200.

That was me on the 190MPH Gen II. Which bike were you on?

I think the Kawi's were 196, 195, then there was a Gen II Busa (flamed) at about 193, then my 190.

I too was over-geared. changed sprockets once and went back for another and ran out of axle travel so I just ran it in 5th gear.

The track was great! My first time on pavement.

I think the Kawi's were 196, 195, then there was a Gen II Busa (flamed) at about 193, then my 190.

I too was over-geared. changed sprockets once and went back for another and ran out of axle travel so I just ran it in 5th gear.

What gearing, and mods do you have, just curious?

What gearing, and mods do you have, just curious?

Oh it's just a little ol' production legal bike.

Scott Horner of Heads Up Performance built the bike, it has spent more of it's life at his shop than in my garage :) The link is Heads Up Performance Home Page

The bike held the Production Land Speed record at Bonneville in 2008. Fred Vance has the record now (he's probably on the org)

Hey Shane. I was the black and silver Gen 1. "Josh", he he. I think you figured that out since we're FB friends now. I didn't realize the other Gen II had gone a bit faster than you. Was that the one with the extra large CO2 bottle for the air shifter? Can't wait for the next one, but with the Wind Farm location, I can't see +200 happening much at Mojave. Still a lot of fun, especially while bored and waiting for Bonneville in Aug. A few pics follow. Should have more later.

JD

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Oh it's just a little ol' production legal bike.

Scott Horner of Heads Up Performance built the bike, it has spent more of it's life at his shop than in my garage :) The link is Heads Up Performance Home Page

The bike held the Production Land Speed record at Bonneville in 2008. Fred Vance has the record now (he's probably on the org)
Good luck...go faster my friend.

Nice....I and some others had some confusion about the event. we were supposed to go but it seemed as after making a couple passes they asked you to upgrade and purchase another license to go over 150 mph....so another $240??? maybe you guys can explain how it was there....also the fact that there was 150 slots and they said they were almost full which doing the math just for the first run it would be over 5 hours for every one if they all ran...so we went to the track instead....maybe next time, the lady i was on the phone with didnt quite explain it very well.....but seems like you guys had fun!!!! maybe next time

Nice....I and some others had some confusion about the event. we were supposed to go but it seemed as after making a couple passes they asked you to upgrade and purchase another license to go over 150 mph....so another $240??? maybe you guys can explain how it was there....also the fact that there was 150 slots and they said they were almost full which doing the math just for the first run it would be over 5 hours for every one if they all ran...so we went to the track instead....maybe next time, the lady i was on the phone with didnt quite explain it very well.....but seems like you guys had fun!!!! maybe next time

Not sure about those fees. I entered the motorcycle sportsman class, 205 limit. I thought the street class went up to 165. Since my bike has been over 200 at Bonneville they grandfathered me in. Mike, the director, said if I got up to 190 they'd bump me to unlimited. Who knew I'd top out at under 170? I know the rules said something about moving up a class to go faster but I didn't realize it meant plunking down another $240. There was also some kind of bracket class where you had to come closest to a speed range or something. I was not concerned with that, just top speed, so I didn't bother reading it too closely.

While there I talked with a couple guys that have run at Texas and they said the wait was long compared to that. I got in five runs, and I remember Scott Stites was on his 6th run when I did my last. I think that was probably the most anyone got. I think it was the guy on the other Gen II that was saying they get in like 20+ runs in two days at Texas and that was with more entrys. It also looked like a lot of no shows. My buddy said he counted 80 vehicles total including bikes. The weather was crappy so I don't blame them. I think they were giving people credit for the next one if they didn't show but called ahead of time or something. I'm sure it was a learning experience for MKM Racing. Hopefully they'll get better at getting those lines moving. That being said, I'll definately be back for the next one. Hopefully they can squeeze one in before Bonneville in Aug.

Hello JD RiderCoach
I didn't get a chance to say Thank You . I went looking for you to hook up with your web site.
Well thanks to you and your buddy helping me we came close to my goal with a 1987 gsx-r 750 ,we went 129.1 and the goal was 130mph.

The class for 750's 185mph ,I think its stock horse power .

We are a long ways from it , but with time I think ,my team will figuer it out .

The Tether kill switch thing was great it got me past the tech ,that was very kind and I was very nervous until I got to do what I do best ride that bike then it was allgood to go as fast as it would go with out getting a speeding ticket.

Just want to say Thank You.

Gabe
here is my E-mail
gabedowney@aol.com

100_1431.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

Hey Gabe! Sorry I didn't stick around. Once I did my last run my boy Scott (the gray haired dude fixing your bike in the pics) had the truck standing by with the ramp, and we just wheeled it up and bailed. Glad you found me on here. I'll send you an e-mail with all my contact info. I think you'll find people helping you in the pits is the norm at Land Speed Racing events. If you want to come out to Bonneville in Aug, let me know and I'll be happy to share whatever I can to make the experience easier for you.

Hello JD RiderCoach
I didn't get a chance to say Thank You . I went looking for you to hook up with your web site.
Well thanks to you and your buddy helping me we came close to my goal with a 1987 gsx-r 750 ,we went 129.1 and the goal was 130mph.

The class for 750's 185mph ,I think its stock horse power .

We are a long ways from it , but with time I think ,my team will figuer it out .

The Tether kill switch thing was great it got me past the tech ,that was very kind and I was very nervous until I got to do what I do best ride that bike then it was allgood to go as fast as it would go with out getting a speeding ticket.

Just want to say Thank You.

Gabe

ok took care of business . Got all info and the beer thing your on .
thank you
gabe

Soloryder - we were admiring your GSXR all weekend. THat's a COOL RIDE!

I had an unlimited license so I didn't have to upgrade but I doubt they made you pay to upgrade. The event seemed very well put together.

Hey John what cams are you running? I think 200 on that track is certainly possible. In fact, I am pretty sure we could best those Kawi's. I wasn't setup for a mile...but NEXT TIME :thumbsup:

Shane, I've got a pair of Yosh stage I cams. Went with those so I wouldn't have to do any machining to the head. Yes, we'll definately do better next time. I posponed my big bore kit install to race at Mojave. Now it's time to tear it down. Will be 1397cc for Bonneville. I'll post some pics of the process.

I made it out there and got to meet a bunch of you guys. We seem to have those winds in the spring. If they do another one in the fall, there shouldn't be much wind.

Jay

Jay I missed meeting you - Scott Horner said you were around but I musta had my head stuck in my helmet somewhere.

Out at El Mirage the wind comes full on from the left/right and you're on dirt! Makes it real interesting :please:

Back