Arg, went down when leaving for work

jessed22

Registered
Hey all,

This morning was a good reminder to me about keeping my "no riding when it's under 20 degrees" rule. A tree (or something) was nice enough to provide a little shade on the road so the "visibly" clean and dry road had a residual spot of frost from over night... just waiting for some dumb year-round rider to enter turn onto the road right there... So now I have a little damage to repair.... (thankfully all the damaged parts can be replaced and none need to "heal".)

Surprisingly there are only three damaged parts and I can replace all of them for about $320. Before I order I wanted to ask a question about something odd I noticed while inspecting the bike prior to riding it back home. (The experts here came to mind immediately.)

I went down on the left side, but when I inspected the bike I noticed that the right-side handlebar end-cap assembly now just slides in and out of the handlebar without difficulty; it isn't secured at all. When looking into the handlebar I don't see anything that it would secure to, leading me to conclude that the base is just glued into the handlebar, then the cap ("balancer") is screwed into the base. Is this accurate? If so, what kind of bonding agent should be used to repair it myself?

thanks,
--jesse

Sorry to hear about it bro. I am glad you were not hurt.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Sometimes it'll bite you when you least expect it. Happy to see you didn't get any damage to yourself.

Glad the damage is minimal.

Your bar ends are of the expanding collet type. Try tightening the bolt that runs through the bar end and. It should tighten up, and the end should be secure, and not spin. If this does not work, the parts that lock the bar ends in are easily replaced.

If you need some help with the repairs, drop me a PM. I live out by Offut Lake not far from you!

It was 12 degrees at my house at daylight this morning. I can't believe anyone could survive riding in that? :shocked:

If you need some help with the repairs, drop me a PM. I live out by Offut Lake not far from you!

It was 12 degrees at my house at daylight this morning. I can't believe anyone could survive riding in that? :shocked:

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. The only repairs required are the left handlebar cap, the crank case cover, and the left fairing (and the scratches there blend in enough that it may wait until after Christmas). I commute to Seattle and much prefer the bike over the car. The HOV lane is a necessity for a decent commute, and besides, even in December the bike is more fun than a car (well... some days more than others). This year I have heated gloves as well, so life is good!

--jesse

Glad the damage is minimal.

Your bar ends are of the expanding collet type. Try tightening the bolt that runs through the bar end and. It should tighten up, and the end should be secure, and not spin. If this does not work, the parts that lock the bar ends in are easily replaced.

Thanks for this. I hadn't expected it to expand through compression, (or that it was secured through expansion at all, actually.) That one is good as new now.

thanks,
--jesse

Glad you are ok.
Those roads over there can be deceptive. I did notice your roads some times get slicker when they age. My Brother in-law found that out the hard way. I would have been on the road with you if I was in that area.

Bummer to hear. Damage sounds easily fixable, and no injuries...that is good! As far as riding in 12 degree weather.... You got some brass ones sir :bowdown:

If you have no luck fixing it, I think I have a pair of bar ends I can give you. (I no longer have my BK.) Drop me a PM if you need them.

If you have no luck fixing it, I think I have a pair of bar ends I can give you. (I no longer have my BK.) Drop me a PM if you need them.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I have already ordered a replacement for the left one. The right one had apparently just come loose. I'm not big on coincidence given the circumstances, but it's untouched and .... either way, it's back on and looks like new.

thanks,
--jesse

I know what you mean bro, I pulled out of work tonight and got sideways luckily I was able to recover it.
I was pulling out to the left and was trying to beat the oncoming traffic.
I guess I need to let those tires heat up a bit before I try to pull out so quickly.

Who's a lucky boy then....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have seen guys drop their bikes at 50km/h, and then have to spend the next 6 months getting over their injuries.:banghead:

Glad u r ok.

PS: riding in such cold weather is fun, as long as you have the right gear.:thumbsup:

Glad you're okay. The bike is fixable. Get a Tour Master Synergy jacket or vest to compliment your gloves. You won't want to park the bike unless it's snowing or icy after you try one. :thumbsup:

Glad you're OK. I just dropped my B King on turn 3 at Homestead Raceway during Penguin Racing school. It was warm and the pavement just slightly damp from morning rain. Luckily I had OES sliders on the frame and rear axle, and R&G sliders on the engine cover. I also went down on the left side. The OES frame slider ground down about and inch and then broke off when the bike slid off the track into the grass. I broke my windscreen but no other damage except for scratches to the left fuel tank cover and tail piece. Suzuki makes a tough bike - I was back racing in less than an hour after wiping off some dirt, removing the broken screen, and getting another tech inspection. No leaks or bends. One of the school instructors commented "if it was a Ducati, it would be in the truck."

I have ordered all new sliders for the left side - they were well worth the investment.:goodidea:

Back