Are you for or opposed???

Are you for or opposed??? - Quadcycles, euroquadcycles being legal.

• Yes, I'm all for new Quadcycles on the roads.

Votes: 37 100.0%
  • No, I'm against them (Post Reasons).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

c50bartsBusa

Registered
OK guys here is our chance to make a differance...I have a few things in the works with local Goverment and I need your input..I am trying to get Street legal quads in all 50 states..I know this isnt going to be easy and It might never be...
But with some of the newer street version quads poping up ..Polaris revolver being one of them.....As it is now the classification of a motorcycle is a 2 or 3 wheeled vechicle....and has its own set of standards...I would like to also have this classification ammended to include 4 wheel vehicles...

Guys, I have many other bikes I'm interested in getting legalized... Please email me at c50bart@aol.com your concerns or comments that you would like included in the petition I am drawing up to argu the Motorcycle law.

So what would be your safety concerns or the safety benifits of having 4 wheels instead of 2 or 3...

Please tell me why you would or why you wouldnt want a quad type machine on the road...On off road type machine...

Thanks in advance...
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

revolver_2.JPG

beerchug.gif

Cool looking machines..

Don't know about the legalities over here...

I didn't vote because I don't know enough about quads.

My only concern would be how well quads handle at freeway speeds.  Braking distance and cornering handling.

But as long as quads can perform as well as any other legal vehicle on the road, I'd have no problem with them being street legal.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142963669 -->

My only concern would be how well quads handle at freeway speeds.  Braking distance and cornering handling.

But as long as quads can perform as well as any other legal vehicle on the road, I'd have no problem with them being street legal.
Good points. I think they look cool and would be fun to ride. I'm not sure I would want to ride any of them on a freeway though!

I'm all for them.  I hope they grab the insurance spotlight away from sportbikes.  Bring'em  smile.gif
I would be all for them except the issues of stability on the roads. I don't believe they are stable enough for high speed cornering and don't really think they would take attention away for the sport bikes in the insurance agencies eyes. I believe the insurance agencies would some how catagorize them by engine size and somehow keep them in a motorbike category which would probably increase our rates. Only speculation. Who know how it would work out. Time will tell.

I just can't see them as being sound for high-speed freeway use.  They sit very low and would be more difficult to see.  I can't imagine one of these things taking a sweeping turn at 70 mph.  Seems it would be much more prone to tipping than a motorcycle.  At least motorcycles have some height to them and can be leaned into the turn.  

And if you think squids are giving cyclists a bad name in the public's view now could you imagine a bunch of 15-18 year olds on these things on the highways.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142969534 -->

I race ATV's and think it would be a bad idea, if you cant slide the rear end around a turn they get extremly tippy at high speeds. A stovk ATV is bad enough in the dirt, we have to add a +4&quot; wider axel in the rear to help solve this. It is harder to get an ATV squirley but once you do there is almost no recovery, and it wont lay down and slide it comes after you and grabs you up and takes you for a flipping rolling ride.

So my expert opinion is very bad idea.

logically i dont see why they should not be street legal...i also dont think the higway issue is that much of a concern, its like the little vespas, street legal except on highways...
at the same time i think bec of the fact that they have four wheels and they dont need anywhere near the amount of concentration put into driving one of those compared to a bike, that they will give the driver a false sense of security on one.
it just seems to easy for anyone to just jump on one and rip it up on the streets...but even this is doesnt really makes sense since any kid can jump in a corvett and kill himself just as easy...
so to sum up what i just said...i dunno rock.gif
laugh.gif

you are exactly right, people think you can just hop on one and ride it around, which is true at speeds below 30mph, after that they are harder to control than a bike and take more concentration. Thats why people are always getting hurt on them they try to drive it like a car instead of ride it.

Well, these quadcycles will take an R1 in the corner and get smoked in the straights. I'm speaking directly with these manufactuers. They are completely legal in Europe.

My vote is yes........BUT qualified(if used for streets):
Requires Quad safty course.
Requires state MC licenes.
Limited to street use only, no hwy or frwy travel. rock.gif

Well, these quadcycles will take an R1 in the corner and get smoked in the straights. I'm speaking directly with these manufactuers. They are completely legal in Europe.
Take an R1 in a corner!!!! I wouldn't belive that, or better yet I would not put your money on it. They sit too high and dont weigh enough nor are they wide enough to really stick to the ground. Sounds like they are selling snake oil to you.

I race ATV's and think it would be a bad idea, if you cant slide the rear end around a turn they get extremly tippy at high speeds. A stovk ATV is bad enough in the dirt, we have to add a +4&quot; wider axel in the rear to help solve this. It is harder to get an ATV squirley but once you do there is almost no recovery, and it wont lay down and slide it comes after you and grabs you up and takes you for a flipping rolling ride.

So my expert opinion is very bad idea.
No, They already have a wider wheel base &amp; suspension is setup for the asphalt. I have all the tech sheets on these. They all handle great, of course if you have it up at 120mph you have to be careful with the steering. That's with anything. The black one is a Supermoto designed by EATV Racing. They cost 24K. The high price reflects on the performance &amp; handling.. I have concerns too, but only about the classification of Quadcycles. I would like to petition the law (Motorcycles) Then let the engineers at the NHTSA tell the manufactuers what needs to be done to be acceptable for the road. Here is the motorcycle law off the Fed. Website.

CLASSIFICATION FOR MOTORCYCLES
§ 123. Motorcycle. Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for
the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three
wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor.

ATVs
§ 2281. Definitions. For the purposes of this article: 1. (a) &quot;All
terrain vehicle&quot; or &quot;ATV&quot; means any self-propelled vehicle which is
manufactured for sale for operation primarily on off-highway trails or
off-highway competitions and only incidentally operated on public
highways providing that such vehicle does not exceed seventy inches in
width, or one thousand pounds dry weight. Provided, however, this
definition shall not include a &quot;snowmobile&quot; or other self-propelled
vehicles manufactured for off-highway use exclusively designed for
travel on snow or ice, steered by skis or runners and supported in whole
or in part by one or more skis, belts or cleats which utilize an endless
belt tread.
( Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this
subdivision, the term &quot;all terrain vehicle&quot; or &quot;ATV&quot; shall not include
any vehicle used for agricultural purposes or for snowplowing, other
than for hire, provided, however, that any such vehicle shall register
as an &quot;all terrain vehicle&quot; or &quot;ATV&quot; pursuant to the provisions of this
article if such vehicle is used or is intended to be used for any
purpose other than agricultural purposes or for snowplowing and shall be
regulated in accordance with provisions governing the operation of &quot;all
terrain vehicles&quot; or &quot;ATV's&quot; while in such use.
2. &quot;Dealer&quot; means any person engaged in the business of selling ATVs
at wholesale or retail.

id like to tear some shid up on those ! kinda like the vid of the guy on the shiftercart tearin up the expressway !
they definatly look cool , and why not freeway use if they can handle at 55mph ? they wont have to prove themselves at 120 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back