Are we doing right by members?

Everyone please take a look - Handling member assitance donations

• Everything works great, MC Keep it up!

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • Would like to see everyone who spills get assistance

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Form a committee to decide who gets what/how much

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Should be member advocates to track all mishaps

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Should be a physical location for spare parts storage

• We should not be asked to donate for other members

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donations to the board should be diverted for members

• Doesn't matter who does it, as long as it isn't MC!

• Would prefer to see (specific Member) handle donations

• Total voters
Q for the members who voted not to collect donations and to have someone other than me handle things; any suggestions as too who you would like to see? It doesn't bother me if people would like to see someone else, but with over 15K members, a little help narrowing the feild would be great!

(MC MUSTANG @ Sep. 11 2007,20:26) Q for the members who voted not to collect donations and to have someone other than me handle things;  any suggestions as too who you would like to see?  It doesn't bother me if people would like to see someone else, but with over 15K members, a little help narrowing the feild would be great!
I am very appreachative (spelling -1) of who ever takes on the task. I have a feeling it's a very large burden on that individual.

So Shawn, thank you for taking of the issues. And I'm sure if someone wants to take on the task, Shawn would let you. It takes organization and dedication. Thank you Shawn and anyone who donates there time helping others.

I, for one, am happy to keep it as is. That way, people can put their money where they see fit. Also, nobody ever has the challenge of not wanting a general fund payment to be used in a specific way. In other words, no resentment.

All of the cons you mention are very valid.

Setting up a standing fund or parts repository is difficult to manage. A committee needs to be established to determine who gets what. But then you have a problem of establishing criteria for all contributions and payouts. Who is deserving? How do you verify that they need help? What kinds of disasters do you help with? Wrecks only? Family problems? Everything? What if one person is given more than another?

Even though I'm happy with the way things are, I'm not opposed to setting up a general fund. If you do set one up, I'll contribute. I'm just saying that the burden of administrating it is somewhat challenging. It's a case of needing to make everyone happy.

Also, it would be a good idea to set up hayabusa.org as a 501(3)c non-profit organization so that all contributions are tax deductible to everyone. It's a great motivator.

It's a can of worms so be ready for it if you decide to open it.

--Wag--

Shawn, you and all the Admins are doing an incredible job.  Keep it up.
beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif

(Wag @ Sep. 11 2007,19:34) I, for one, am happy to keep it as is.  That way, people can put their money where they see fit.  Also, nobody ever has the challenge of not wanting a general fund payment to be used in a specific way.  In other words, no resentment.

All of the cons you mention are very valid.

Setting up a standing fund or parts repository is difficult to manage.  A committee needs to be established to determine who gets what.  But then you have a problem of establishing criteria for all contributions and payouts.  Who is deserving?  How do you verify that they need help?  What kinds of disasters do you help with?  Wrecks only?  Family problems?  Everything?  What if one person is given more than another?  

Even though I'm happy with the way things are, I'm not opposed to setting up a general fund.  If you do set one up, I'll contribute.  I'm just saying that the burden of administrating it is somewhat challenging.  It's a case of needing to make everyone happy.

Also, it would be a good idea to set up hayabusa.org as a 501(3)c non-profit organization so that all contributions are tax deductible to everyone.  It's a great motivator.

It's a can of worms so be ready for it if you decide to open it.

--Wag--
EEEEEwwwwwww!?!

Not sure about that one!
smile.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Sep. 11 2007,18:24) I just want to make sure that I am not shacking the apple tree too much and making members uncomfortable.
Don't worry about shaking the apple tree too much. People will contribute when they're able and they won't when they can't. I think people are comfortable with that.

--Wag--

Well there is no other trusted to be as unbiased and fair as yourself! But if you know the member or know of her/him they could get you on the job faster! You are the Man for the task! (Glad its not me!) could there be a PM system set up from senior members that could ping in when they know of a needy member? I know an Old Air Force Phantom mechanic would always get a fair shake from Marine brass rite!
SHOCKED.gif

(Wag @ Sep. 11 2007,19:34) Also, it would be a good idea to set up hayabusa.org as a 501(3)c non-profit organization so that all contributions are tax deductible to everyone.  It's a great motivator.
Wag has a heck of a good idea there!!! I think it would be a great way to spark donations and get something back. Not that that is the reason to donate or to help someone, but I would rather contribute money to the board than to taxes.

I'm still new here and when I was very new everyone was very helpfull( info wise) I only purched one part from here and that person did not know me from adam and gave me an incredible price like he was a good friend. Every thing I see here looks good to me. I wish I could more to help. My place is always open to an overnight stay or dinner if passing through.

I completely trust you and the rest of the admins to handle how member donations are doled out.

I can store parts if needed and handle the mailing aspect. I have plenty of space and time.

E.

Your doing a great job!

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 11 2007,16:38) Did I miss something?  I know alot of people want to chip in to get GSXcite back on the road, but that's because he has contributed alot to get others on the road.  I see others trying to get donations for a friend who went down that isn't even registered on the board.  Are we expected to have the same response for rider-x as we do for someone who selflessly comes through for the members of this board just because he/she wadded up a Busa?
I concur with Dennis. I donate to whom I feel is worthy . I think it is good if another member verifies the need before asking for donations. We dont want to open a free parts store for non members or cheaters.

I will move this poll off of the active boards tonight; just want to make sure that those who would like to respond, get the chance. Again, a simple sanity check for me/us - thanks!

Also, please keep in mind that those that donate may be doing so WHEN and IF they can...the waves of donations may come with paydays, my lottery winnings he he, or whether or not Uncle Sam took you for whatever else you thought you had...

I do have a point, honest...there are times when I simply can't donate, as I'm sure is the case for everyone...any skew in the amt member A gets over member B is simply due to how many can help at that time, though I do know that members that continually help others in so many ways DO stand out, and rightfully so...

I am proud that we AREN'T running a popularity contest here...I think we'd all love to help each and every member each and every time, but that's not always the way things work out...

I appreciate what you do Shawn...I help when I can...keep up the great work
smile.gif

I had to vote #1 stay the course...

things can get messy tax wise and personal wise once doantions are dicerted to other causes.

commitees... oh boy
guns.gif
are they voted in? secret ballot? how long of a term? any requirements to be on the ballot? how large would the commitee be? what would their charter be? What's their budget? who approves the budget? I could go on n on with this one...

starting a spare parts business just opens things up to additional logistical issues. Also then you would realy need to dedicate alot more resources.

Personaly I thnk getting the board more recognized would be best. Maybe some AMA recognition? Maybe donating board members would get a t-shirt and a small discount for services or parts from large established businesses.

Maybe get some freelance writer folks to cover some events like the busa bash and have a nice writeup and pics... the board could assist with the expenses associated with this.

Start a seperate section and write a quarterly bio of specifc board memebers with some pics for some kinda of accomplishment they've done, the way the help others, or just for being the character that they are.

doing the above two and also making it a downloadable pdf would be great so I have some hard copy material to read when I'm not online...

Anything that helps build a better commmunity would be a plus in my book. Also getting the board more recognized as an authoritative source of information just makes things bigger and better.

Shawn, I think you are doing a great job.  Centralizing everything money, pieces parts, etc is not such a good idea imho.  Each situation is different.  So far things have been working very well as far as I can tell.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

One minor change might help a little. Get one member to handle the pieces parts side and you keep handling the $$ donation. All of the administration here volunteer so the load could be shared.

Don

Well, I have been a member on here since 2006. I'm not a here today, gone tomorrow member..I have read countless great topics, tips, and suggestions. I have also donated to the board and a member in need, I also try to help the new guys that come along with my newfound knowledge I have taken from this site...This is a great place to relate with and we all have a common interest and respect. Even though I haven't personally met you guys, its great just reading your posts and opinions at times. I really don't know how you'd do it any better, I mean, I didn't know Mr. Hal but when I saw his bike, I knew I had to do a little something to help a fellow brother or sister member for that matter....Should I expect the same help in return? Not necessarily, because I haven't been around as long as many of you guys...Many times "it's not what you get, but the thought is what counts"...
bowdown.gif

Shawn, you do a great job above and beyond the call of duty!
beerchug.gif

Being a newbie, it's nice to have someone like yourself with inside knowledge say "this is a good person and he could use help" rather than someone posting up a "help me" thread. I don't know many of the riders here and if someone just asked for help, I don't know what I would do.

Knowing you, it was easier to say yes to GSXcite than just someone posting.

A fund would be a good idea. I'm sure this has been brought up before but oRg gear for sale with proceeds to the fund would be nice. I know it takes $ to run the board too...

As long as it doesn't impact your personal life, you're doing a heck of a job!
super.gif

Back