Are we doing right by members?

Everyone please take a look - Handling member assitance donations

• Everything works great, MC Keep it up!

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • Would like to see everyone who spills get assistance

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Form a committee to decide who gets what/how much

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Should be member advocates to track all mishaps

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Should be a physical location for spare parts storage

• We should not be asked to donate for other members

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donations to the board should be diverted for members

• Doesn't matter who does it, as long as it isn't MC!

• Would prefer to see (specific Member) handle donations

• Total voters

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Everyone:
I am not entirely sure how it happened, but somehow, I found myself sort of honcho'ing the donations when members need assistance.  Now, I absolutely don't mind doing this, but I can be admittedly myopic - especially with everything that has gone on in my personal life recently.

I guess what I am looking for is some feedback on how we are doing in supporting the members.  It seems like we dip too often into the well (so to speak) and that sometimes members fall through the cracks.

I have had a few ideas off and on, here is a short synopsis of those ideas and possible effects:
1. Set up a standing fund for members when they are injured/crash so that support can be sent without taking donations.
Issue (s):
- Money will still have to be either donated or generated through some sort of fund raising activities.  Since donations will not be going to specific individuals, it will be difficult to inspire the same sort of responce; ultimately the amounts and frequency of donations will go down.

2.  Actually storing and inventorying spare parts for distorbution to someone who is in need.
Issue (s):
- again, if someone doesn't know who they are donating to, they may be less apt to donate.  
- Reqires someone to dedicate time and space for warehousing the spare parts.
- Still requires fiscal resources for shipping.

3.  Instead of donations, sending cards or flowers from the .oRg as a token from all members.
Issue (s):
- While the thought counts, it does little to benefit the members - and we are about more than that.

The whole idea behind this poll is to see if we (I) am doing right by members and if there is more (or something different) that we could do to better serve the membership.

Thanks for looking, comments please.

MCM

Hey all, I would also ask that along with you vote, you post any ideas/recommendations/complaints so that they can be addressed and taken for consideration/action.

MCM
beerchug.gif

shawn, i feel that u do an excellent job handling donations from members to help other members. i voted that i think all members that spill should get assistance. only seems fair for all members on the board..
beerchug.gif

First off, Thanks Shawn for stepping up to the plate to handle donations. I think your doing a great job and doubt anyone will say otherwise.
beerchug.gif

I donate to whomever I feel needs it so far and feel more comfortable sending my extra parts to who I choose. Not that the board would not make a great decision on this. As you mentioned, I agree that people will send thae parts as needed to crashed riders. Our board is amazing when it comes to this. I have recieved and sent parts and am sure member will continue to do so without the burden put on you or the Cap. If there are extra funds from donations and the Cap feels that he wants to use tose to help, that sounds great. I would say, lets not fix what is not broken. You have jumped in quickly in the past and started pay pal collections and organized collections of parts per situation without flaw. Keep up the great work Shawn, you are an asset to this community.
bowdown.gif

I have no problem with you handling this Shawn, as long as it does not negatively affect your life responsibilites. I appreciate your proactive approach to the situations.

I think we continue with the way we are doing it. Some people will need help after a spill and some will not.

I feel it needs to remain up to members to donate as they feel necessary....either parts, $$, flowers, yard work, ...etc.

just my .02
beerchug.gif

Did I miss something? I know alot of people want to chip in to get GSXcite back on the road, but that's because he has contributed alot to get others on the road. I see others trying to get donations for a friend who went down that isn't even registered on the board. Are we expected to have the same response for rider-x as we do for someone who selflessly comes through for the members of this board just because he/she wadded up a Busa?

Shawn I thought this was a great Poll Bro I am glad you posted it. Me I think that everyone on the org that takes a spill deserves a little help. I voted everyone should get a little assistance. I do agree that maybe a commitee should be formed to help out with dishing out the $$$ that way no one sees it as a favoritism thing then once the commitee reaches a dollar amount to which they agree on the they present that to the admins of the org for the final approval. I also agree with maybe a .org parts house as well so if a person can not afford to send money but has spare parts to send this could be done as well. But other than that Shawn I think you are doing an outstand job by heading up what you have already done. Also if you need someone to store spare parts I have plenty of room that you and fellow org members can use. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
super.gif

(BlueHaya @ Sep. 11 2007,14:flamethrowing:) I have no problem with you handling this Shawn, as long as it does not negatively affect your life responsibilites.  I appreciate your proactive approach to the situations.

I think we continue with the way we are doing it.  Some people will need help after a spill and some will not.

I feel it needs to remain up to members to donate as they feel necessary....either parts, $$, flowers, yard work, ...etc.

just my .02
beerchug.gif
I concur!

I'm not sure on the fix....or even if there is a problem. Members should donate if they choose to, if they don't or can't then no problem.

I think the committee idea to decide who and how much could be a good idea.....still thinking on this one.

Quick story, leaving out the names of course...... Last year we had a fairly new member go down. Bike was beat up pretty good. We all came together and rebuild his bike as he didn't have adequate insurance.......immediately after the rebuild he sells the Busa buys a different bike and pretty much dissappeared.

Other than that....I'm a happy camper here and wouldn't trade this place for anything.

DD

I will add.......that I completely trust in all decisions made by the Admin Bubbas here to spend the donated monies wisely. It has never been a second thought.

DD

I'm fairly new to the board, and don't have to much insite on how things get or should be handled.
I can say that I have seen that the org. and it's members are very helpful in many situations that they can help on. I think it is a great place for people of a common bond to come and share whatever they might want to.
No matter how things get handle today or tomorrow in someone's eyes that may not be the right way
The org. is a great place and I think it runs great , and more people should know about it.
Just .02

SHAWN , You do a great job at keeping everything going when donations are needed and distributing the funds to who needs it, IF IT AIN"T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Keep up the good work.
beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 11 2007,16:38) Did I miss something?  I know alot of people want to chip in to get GSXcite back on the road, but that's because he has contributed alot to get others on the road.  I see others trying to get donations for a friend who went down that isn't even registered on the board.  Are we expected to have the same response for rider-x as we do for someone who selflessly comes through for the members of this board just because he/she wadded up a Busa?
I agree with Busawhipped. As I said above, I like to choose the person I donate to. If it is a regular member of the board that helps out others, that is who I am sending my $$ to, not Someones buddy who rides a cbr with a non donating member of our site. It should be up to the members.

(Fate @ Sep. 11 2007,15:06)
(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 11 2007,16:38) Did I miss something?  I know alot of people want to chip in to get GSXcite back on the road, but that's because he has contributed alot to get others on the road.  I see others trying to get donations for a friend who went down that isn't even registered on the board.  Are we expected to have the same response for rider-x as we do for someone who selflessly comes through for the members of this board just because he/she wadded up a Busa?
I agree with Busawhipped. As I said above, I like to choose the person I donate to. If it is a regular member of the board that helps out others, that is who I am sending my $$ to, not Someones buddy who rides a cbr with a non donating member of our site. It should be up to the members.
I agree but also I would like to be able to send a personal thank you to members who helped me.

I have not been on here very long but I love the way all of the .org members pull together to help out a fellow rider that went down I like the way it is running right now and you are doing a FINE job MC. I hope that I can help out with a fellow rider in the future when things get better on my end.
beerchug.gif

As a new member I feel I hardly have room to talk here, but I would like to offer my opinion. This is the most adult, mature sites I have ever been on. You guys really watch out for one another and care for all the members of the org. I am seriously impressed with the communication and professionalism of the members here. I may not be able to do much, but I am a member, and I support all of our members no matter what they ride. With that said, I would like to say that I am always available to the members of this site if you happen to be down the Tulsa way. Not to get off track, I really like how things are handled from what I have seen so far. Thank you folks.

I don't care how it gets handled because when it comes down to it, its up to me! I make the decision on what I want to do, if I want to send money, if I want to send parts, as far as I am concerned once it leaves my possesion, it's gone. I already wrote the expense or part off and if I am taken as a fool, so be it, but for the most part I get personal satisfaction our of helping others. There are several members who have helped when when I was down (bad choice of words for the highspeed get off) and I like to return the support. I may not always send assistance to those you might need it, but that may depend on many factors, but that's up to me to decide.

Ok... I'm going back to the corner...

Guys,
The replys are good - I/we appreciate them. The reason for the poll is to make sure that we are doing right; with so many members, well - not everyone will be happy all the time, but I would like to think that conceptually we do it well. I am looking for a sanity check here. For those of you who have said that not everyone will get the same support - that is true. Some people (like Hal, as a great example) have had a tremendous impact on the board - at the different gatherings, with parts support, donations and simple wrench time! I think it is safe to say that he would recieve more support than say a member with 5 posts and three days on board... not that post count is key, but rather overall contributions to our community.
I would love to get something to every single person that suffers a mishap - but honestly, I don't catch every thread.
I just want to make sure that I am not shacking the apple tree too much and making members uncomfortable. Ted is on the money - it is up to you as members if you would like to contribute - what and how much/how often... some people contribute financially, soe with parts and others with moral support. Bottom line is that it is up to you what/how you do it, if at all... So no, nothing is broken - but I want to make sure I am on the same page as everyone else.

Back