Are Walther's any good?

Shotgun, with a flashlight either mounted on it or kept close. More than likely if someone unwelcome comes in while your home it will be a night. 00 buck works very well. dont shoot to kill, shoot to stop a threat to yourself or loved ones.

Shotgun, with a flashlight either mounted on it or kept close. More than likely if someone unwelcome comes in while your home it will be a night. 00 buck works very well. dont shoot to kill, shoot to stop a threat to yourself or loved ones.

Let me know how that works out in court!:laugh:

I suggest that you want something very intimidating, say 12 gauge with buckshot. Less chance that you will need to shoot, jack that pump for effect, train it between the eyes & cooperation will set in with any luck. Pointing a small handgun the idiot might start to move on you. You won't miss with the buckshot & it will kill a guy.

There is no apostrophe in "Walthers."

That being said, my P99 is literally one of the finest weapons I own, and that's not an exaggeration. It's tight, the action is buttery smooth on every trigger pull, sight adustment is easy, it field strips in seconds in one smooth motion, it's light, concealable, reliable as the sunrise, has never mis-fed or jammed regardless of the crap ammunition I've put through it, and it fits the shape of my hand like it was made for me. Mine even came with three interchangeable backstraps to further customize the shape of the grip.

3293154387_2eacb9f2e9.jpg

We all know Glocks are incredible guns, but every time I see someone on an internet forum proclaiming that the Glock is the Pangaea of handgun design I feel sorry for all the people that buy them because of the hype and then dislike them. There are those of us who just can not shoot them comfortably or well because of their shape. The clunky rectangular shape and odd grip angle are a perfect fit some people, they make others miserable.

A pistol must point naturally as an extension of the shooter's arm and hand. If someone tells you to point at an object with your finger you simply raise your arm and extend your finger, your brain knows exactly where the end of your finger is, you don't have to sight down the length of your finger to point at the door or the ceiling fan or the computer screen.

A pistol that fits YOUR hand (and one that you practice with) will become that same natural extension. I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't even consider buying a gun (a pistol especially) until you've at least held one and made sure it's compatible with your hand.

There is no apostrophe in "Walthers."

That being said, my P99 is literally one of the finest weapons I own, and that's not an exaggeration. It's tight, the action is buttery smooth on every trigger pull, sight adustment is easy, it field strips in seconds in one smooth motion, it's light, concealable, reliable as the sunrise, has never mis-fed or jammed regardless of the crap ammunition I've put through it, and it fits the shape of my hand like it was made for me. Mine even came with three interchangeable backstraps to further customize the shape of the grip.

3293154387_2eacb9f2e9.jpg

We all know Glocks are incredible guns, but every time I see someone on an internet forum proclaiming that the Glock is the Pangaea of handgun design I feel sorry for all the people that buy them because of the hype and then dislike them. There are those of us who just can not shoot them comfortably or well because of their shape. The clunky rectangular shape and odd grip angle are a perfect fit some people, they make others miserable.

A pistol must point naturally as an extension of the shooter's arm and hand. If someone tells you to point at an object with your finger you simply raise your arm and extend your finger, your brain knows exactly where the end of your finger is, you don't have to sight down the length of your finger to point at the door or the ceiling fan or the computer screen.

A pistol that fits YOUR hand (and one that you practice with) will become that same natural extension. I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't even consider buying a gun (a pistol especially) until you've at least held one and made sure it's compatible with your hand.

Good call....but you need to get rid of those FMJs and get some HP ammo!

Just kidding.....but for home protection the HP is the way to go.

Nothing wrong with the Walther you mention. They make a good quality firearm and I know a couple guys that carry them daily and love them.

I won't go into great details but I personally don't like them and prefer to carry a Glock. I'm not claiming either is better than the other in any way.

My biggest complaint with the Walther is the magazine release's design and location. I am not able to operate it with only one hand. For home defense this may or may not be an issue for you. For duty use it is for me as I can't afford to not be able to operate every function of the weapon with only one hand. In the event one of my hands is disabled my life may depend upon it.

My other problems I won't even go into detail as they are minor to the average shooter.

I hope that you have buck shot confused.

Buck shot is not what you shoot a buck with. It is a bunch of small bee bees alot like bird shot. You use a SLUG to shoot a deer. Again, I go back to messy with a slug.

If you are hunting deer with buck shot....shame on you, in most states this is not legal. But it is what it is.

I wouldn't hunt with buck shot. But, for humans, it depends on the size of the shot. 00 is the most common, and that is 12 .36 caliber slugs. At close range, 1 shot and your target is down for good. I actually took a Remington Model 1100 (I think), and cut the barrel down inch by inch. When the barrel was the same length as the stock cartridge tube, I found that I got the best pattern with 000 buck. It gives you a two foot wide swath at 10 feet. If you can't hit something with that pattern, you should probably run. That was a long time ago. Now 3.5 inch magnums and 10 gauge shells are available. But you need to remember that you need to be able to quickly change target area. A long barreled shotgun is not that quick.

Walthers have an impeccable reliability record. As far as I know they don't come in .45 ACP. I much prefer a .45 ACP to a .40 Glock or any other mfg.
The main reason that the FBI went with the .40 was that the recoil was less and a double stack mag wasn't so big that women couldn't handle a pistol using that round.

My biggest complaint with the Walther is the magazine release's design and location. I am not able to operate it with only one hand.

This very thing used to be the only issue that annoyed me about my P99. I hated having to radically (almost to the point of dropping the pistol) change my grip to reach the mag release with my thumb. Then I discovered that I could operate the other side of the release catch (it's ambidextrous, there's a lever on both sides of the trigger guard) with the tip of the middle finger of my shooting hand without having to rotate the pistol towards me at all. I can drop the mag and insert a new one without ever having to point the gun away from what I'm shooting at.

This kind of issue is the exact thing I'm talking about; you can't tell whether you can reach the mag release with another finger, or operate the slide release with your non dominant hand, or reach the decocker with your thumb by looking at pictures on the internet. Eventually, you're going to actually have to go to a gun store and put your hands on one to make sure it suits you and the shape of your hands and fingers.

Back