CA gun owners

CA should honor your CCW. It's not legal to bring hi caps into the state(more than 10 rounders) You can bring them in for a event such as an IPSC Match. Not sure with a CCW from out of state. I would just bring 10's.

The CHP won't tell you much other than to call DOJ. I've called DOJ in the past and they won't tell you much either. The standard response is read the law on our website, if you have ANY questions get a Lawyer that is familiar with CA Laws and have him advise you. That's all you will get from them.

As far as transporting a semi auto it has to be in a locked container and unloaded. That means empty chamber, magazine out and unloaded. The mag can be in the same locked container, but unloaded and out of the gun. Don't have the mag loaded even if it is seperate from the gun.

The locked container in your tankbag or saddle bags would be ok.

needs to be in a locked container in the vehicle....seperate from ammo...but since you are on a bike, i would put a trigger lock on it...keep the ammo seperated in another container....I put a lock on my bags , and you are good, ive been stopped coming back from work once or twice, california stop :laugh: and tail light out :whistle: and the officer sometimes asks me whats in the bags....i state i have a weapon (i work with guns in the gov), and they dont say anything except ask me a couple questions and thats it....I do have a concealed permit though but i have never had to mention it...if you are clean and the weapon is legal here along with its parts (no more than 10 rd mags) then you are ok....I carry a print out of the law with me folded up just in case...

Now for you, best bet to be sure Call an aproved firearms dealer to be sure and better yet...call the CHP, they can tell you the best since in theory if you get stopped, it will be most likely one of thier officers...good luck...i dont know since you are not from here and there are legal technicalities as where the weapon is going to be left when you are here and about...your permit is not valid here...so you cant legally carry it....leaving it in your bags parked would be out of the question and irresponsible, so where would you leave it??

Ohhh...I work on base in camp pendleton...DO NOT...DO NOT..again DO NOT...go through the gate with the weapon....BAD BAD BAD JUJU....dont even go near unless you are military..then youd have to stop at the gate anyways to register...tell them you have a weapon and they will check it in to the armory until you are out....unless you are a resident which you are not....

CA should honor your CCW. It's not legal to bring hi caps into the state(more than 10 rounders) You can bring them in for a event such as an IPSC Match. Not sure with a CCW from out of state. I would just bring 10's.

The CHP won't tell you much other than to call DOJ. I've called DOJ in the past and they won't tell you much either. The standard response is read the law on our website, if you have ANY questions get a Lawyer that is familiar with CA Laws and have him advise you. That's all you will get from them.

As far as transporting a semi auto it has to be in a locked container and unloaded. That means empty chamber, magazine out and unloaded. The mag can be in the same locked container, but unloaded and out of the gun. Don't have the mag loaded even if it is seperate from the gun.

The locked container in your tankbag or saddle bags would be ok.

I verified via my state that CA does not honor my CCW. Thanks a ton for clearing that up. i might as well throw the gun away when i hit CA lol. hopefully i'll never need it.

needs to be in a locked container in the vehicle....seperate from ammo...but since you are on a bike, i would put a trigger lock on it...keep the ammo seperated in another container....I put a lock on my bags , and you are good, ive been stopped coming back from work once or twice, california stop :laugh: and tail light out :whistle: and the officer sometimes asks me whats in the bags....i state i have a weapon (i work with guns in the gov), and they dont say anything except ask me a couple questions and thats it....I do have a concealed permit though but i have never had to mention it...if you are clean and the weapon is legal here along with its parts (no more than 10 rd mags) then you are ok....I carry a print out of the law with me folded up just in case...

Now for you, best bet to be sure Call an aproved firearms dealer to be sure and better yet...call the CHP, they can tell you the best since in theory if you get stopped, it will be most likely one of thier officers...good luck...i dont know since you are not from here and there are legal technicalities as where the weapon is going to be left when you are here and about...your permit is not valid here...so you cant legally carry it....leaving it in your bags parked would be out of the question and irresponsible, so where would you leave it??

Ohhh...I work on base in camp pendleton...DO NOT...DO NOT..again DO NOT...go through the gate with the weapon....BAD BAD BAD JUJU....dont even go near unless you are military..then youd have to stop at the gate anyways to register...tell them you have a weapon and they will check it in to the armory until you are out....unless you are a resident which you are not....

Cool. I am military. US Marines. my weapon will be stowed at my sisters house during the beginning of my stay and as soon as i figure out the orders on base for personally owned weapons, i will act accordingly.:beerchug:

BTW for those that care, im going to cali to deploy.... and become full on active duty in my attempts to go through the ECP program and become an Officer.

Of course if you don't want to be on hold for 3 days with CHP you could always contact Pendelton JAG and have them find out for you. I'm sure there is a paralegal with nothing better to do.

i didnt read every post, but when move guns i ask a highway patrol or sheriff take their name and etc they usually know pretty well and can define in these terms. if you have a problem you can say you tried...

also some states a loaded magazine is the same as it being in the gun, an atty can usually fight it but if you dont want to stay in cali and fight the courts you might look into it....

also i believe pre ban high caps are legal to bring in i could be wrong. my buddy from out there said so but hes not a cop or lawyer.

I agree with calling a firearms dealer in Cali. Here's a number I just pulled out of the yellow pages. Gun World in Burbank 818-238-9071.
I believe you CAN carry the gun in a holster on your belt unloaded but you're going to get yanked by every cop that passes you and answer a LOT of questions.

Cool. I am military. US Marines. my weapon will be stowed at my sisters house during the beginning of my stay and as soon as i figure out the orders on base for personally owned weapons, i will act accordingly.:beerchug:

CA has storage laws too. Still has to be locked up. Not kosher to leave it in someone else's possession either.

CA sucks for any type of firearm. You'll see soon enough. Too bad your not coming up north were going shooting this weekend. :beerchug: be careful how you carry and I would not suggest unconcealed carry. It just creates more trouble than it's worth.

you can "loan" your firearm to your sister, that is legal and she does not have to hold a hsc to "borrow" the gun. If in the process of this she is kind enough to "have" to store it then it is legal.

Well, I am a former active duty Marine...now out..once always..hit me up and maybe we can ride...the thing with pre ban magazines is you HAVE to have OWNED them BEFORE the ban....BUT there is no way of really proving it....anyways..be safe..semper fi...and I have to agree...dont call the JAG in Pendelton...they ARE always busy :laugh::laugh:

Hey yeah Rich over at metcalf your more than welcome to come hang out and watch my future brother in law redeem his last effort with open iron sights ( he got a scope) :laugh:. around 8:30

were heading up to mendecino county to do some boar hunting next week so he wants to get it sighted in a little better.

Back