CA gun owners

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
I have been doing some reading and i want to make sure i am reading this correctly.

im getting ready for a trip on my bike to CA. well i will feel safer if i have some protection. my CCW permit is valid on almost every state except for CA. (the ones ill be passing through anyway). so im legit if i have my handgun unloaded in either my "trunk" or locked in its case in a saddle or tankbag? and essentialy i cant load it unless i believe i, or my bike, is in grave danger?

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf
The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of
being concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of
18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the
excepted classes prescribed by Penal Code sections 12021 or 12021.1 or Welfare
and Institutions Code sections 8100 or 8103, provided that the following applies:
- the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a
locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment; and
California Firearms Laws 2006 33
- when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any
lawful purpose, the firearm must be contained in a locked container while being
physically carried. (Penal Code § 12026.1.)

sidenote: that would suck if i needed to use it (if i am interpreting the law correctly) because i would have to unlock it, load it, point, and click. to be effective on target....

Yes, you are reading it correctly. The ammunition and weapon must be in separate compartments. That would include the weapon in a locked case and ammunition separate.

Stupid Kalifornia does not reciprocate CCW from anywhere else.

Where in CA you going to?

It must be locked out of reach, IE,a trunk unloaded. Also, the ammo must be locked away separate from the weapon. Damn liberals.

Next week they will pass a law here......You may own a refridgerator, but you may not have it plugged in..........Pinheads.

Yes, you are reading it correctly. The ammunition and weapon must be in separate compartments. That would include the weapon in a locked case and ammunition separate.

Stupid Kalifornia does not reciprocate CCW from anywhere else.

Where in CA you going to?

Camp Pendleton, Miramar, El Cajon. ill drop off the weaopn before going theough the gates of CampPen and miramar. im not 100% on the orders there so better safe than sorry.

yea..seperated out. That way if you use it they know you had time to leave the danger and can file charges against you.

Perhaps you should just take a shot gun in display?

It must be locked out of reach, IE,a trunk unloaded. Also, the ammo must be locked away separate from the weapon. Damn liberals.

so... when pertaining to a bike...put the gun under lock and key in a saddlebag and the ammo in another? neither can go in the tank bag?

one thing i did read was that it isnt considered consealed when in a holster on a belt. in MS it is considered consealed regardless of how you have it.

one thing i did read was that it isnt considered consealed when in a holster on a belt. in MS it is considered consealed regardless of how you have it.

carried in a lock box from your car to house?:rofl:

correct, you can open carry in a holster (open-ended) as long as your coat does not cover it. You CANNOT have any ammunition in the weapon. You must have ammunition separate.

Can you imagine, pull your revolver and tell them, hang on, I gotta load it! Yeah, stupid.

Enjoy your trip to SoCal.

I am not certain what you will be traveling with, but I believe that some states allow or do not allow high cap mags...and some ammo types. From what I have seen in shot gun news they do not ship some items to cali...if you are broke down in an area that your not comfortable with...take necessary precautions. Have fun + good luck on your travels.

I am not certain what you will be traveling with, but I believe that some states allow or do not allow high cap mags...and some ammo types. From what I have seen in shot gun news they do not ship some items to cali...if you are broke down in an area that your not comfortable with...take necessary precautions. Have fun + good luck on your travels.

i have a shiney new Glock G22. 15 round cap....

in CA it's 9 round max. But since you're not living here, not sure it applies. You can call our CHP for clarification. Might not be a bad idea.

in CA it's 9 round max. But since you're not living here, not sure it applies. You can call our CHP for clarification. Might not be a bad idea.

i remember last time i had to call a state governing body there... i was on hold for like 3 days. but yeah ill end up calling them with any tiny details i cant iron out. like if its 9 round max can i just put 9 rounds in a 15 round clip? or do i have to completely unload as i cross the state line? ir is it just plain illegal?

i have a shiney new Glock G22. 15 round cap....

High cap mags (10+)I believe are illegal in CA. Also california has an approved list of legal weapons. There are federal interstate laws pertaining to the transport of weapons as well. Basically you can transport any legal owed weapon through any state to any state that the weapon is legal. The seperate locked containers applies to the Federal interstate transportation law.

So, do your homework...

Last edited:
Call a CA Gun dealer. They will know the local law, and they will be on your side....

High cap mags (10+)I believe are illegal in CA. Also california has an approved list of legal weapons. There are federal interstate laws pertaining to the transport of weapons as well. Basically you can transport any legal owed weapon through any state to any state that the weapon is legal. The seperate locked containers applies to the Federal interstate transportation law.

So, do your homework...

the G22 is legal in CA according to Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General but i guess the clips are not? and according to NRA-ILA :: through all the states ill be traveling through, NM is the only one that doesnt acknowledge my CCW. but if i lock the gun in my trunk, and seperate my ammo, im good. since the glock 22 and 23 both come with 10+ clips and are legal in CA (the guns anyway....) im probably going to have to call chp

so is it 10+ as in more than 10, or ten or more? the lowest cap i see is 10 round clips for this gun.

Back