Are Walther's any good?

echoseven

Froot Loop
Donating Member
Registered
I live alone and have recently starting thinking of buy some home security in the form of a handgun :firing:. I went to Gander Mtn. and was looking at the Walther P99 .40. Does anyone have any experience with this firearm? Is it worth the price? Any other suggestions?

Screw a handgun for home protect get a shotgun and load it up with some of the new home protection rounds or some buck shot and that is the best thing point and shoot :welcome:

Screw a handgun for home protect get a shotgun and load it up with some of the new home protection rounds or some buck shot and that is the best thing point and shoot :welcome:

I had a Walther PPK and loved it. I would say it is probably worth the price but for home protection go with a shotgun.

I would say that if you are going to .40 I would go with a Glock 27. This is my carry weapon and I love it. It is small enought that I can wear it on my ankle if I choose to, or I can hide in under a sweatchirt of T-shirt. Lots of knockdown, and durable as hell.I bought mine new for $400, but I stole it. A fair price would prolly be $440. The nice thing about the glock is that you can find accessories and parts everywhere. Glock is now also the carry weapon for multiple Law Enforcement departments. I also have a Beretta 9mm (Too big to conceal) and a Springfield .45 ACP (just in case a run away gorilla breaks into my house.) The real toys are the AR-15's, but those are something that you can get later on. I have just a few if those, and they are a blast!

Just my $.02

I had a Walther PPK and loved it. I would say it is probably worth the price but for home protection go with a shotgun.

Nothing wrong with a shot gun, but it is so messy and chances are you will probably not kill them unless you are close if you are using buck shot. I live by a very wise motto!

"It is better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6."

If I shoot you, there will be no "my word against yours......just mine!"

In some states if someone breaks into your home with a fake gun, or bb gun, or knife, or no weapon at all and then you shoot him and he doesn't die then he can sue you. If he dies he can not

Nothing wrong with a shot gun, but it is so messy and chances are you will probably not kill them unless you are close if you are using buck shot. I live by a very wise motto!

"It is better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6."

If I shoot you, there will be no "my word against yours......just mine!"

I have never shot a human with buckshot but have killed many deer. It would have to be a huge house for buckshot not to kill a person. Just my two cents worth

I have never shot a human with buckshot but have killed many deer. It would have to be a huge house for buckshot not to kill a person. Just my two cents worth

I hope that you have buck shot confused.

Buck shot is not what you shoot a buck with. It is a bunch of small bee bees alot like bird shot. You use a SLUG to shoot a deer. Again, I go back to messy with a slug.

If you are hunting deer with buck shot....shame on you, in most states this is not legal. But it is what it is.

Unless you are well practiced or intend to become well practiced a pistol is a poor choice for home defense, especially an autoloader. Nothing better then a good short barrelled scatter gun loaded with double 00 buck for thin skinned game. If you are set on a hand gun, a revolver never jams and .44 S&W or .45 LC loaded with snake shot is very effective at close range. If you insist on a autoloader, find a good gunsmith and get the new gun ramped and polished so it will feed any type of ammo smoothly and reduce the chances of a jam. Go to the range and take the handgun safety course and then starting shooting, every week until you can hit what you are aiming at are are comfortable with handling the weapon. The other thing you need to make a priority is where and how you are going to secure the weapon, trigger lock, safe, locked gun case, carry with you all the time, etc. JMHO :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have the stainless Walther ppks .380. Perfect size to conceal IMHO but very heavy on the trigger. I may try and have a gun smith lighten up the trigger pull for me.

Unless you are well practiced or intend to become well practiced a pistol is a poor choice for home defense, especially an autoloader. Nothing better then a good short barrelled scatter gun loaded with double 00 buck for thin skinned game. If you are set on a hand gun, a revolver never jams and .44 S&W or .45 LC loaded with snake shot is very effective at close range. If you insist on a autoloader, find a good gunsmith and get the new gun ramped and polished so it will feed any type of ammo smoothly and reduce the chances of a jam. Go to the range and take the handgun safety course and then starting shooting, every week until you can hit what you are aiming at are are comfortable with handling the weapon. The other thing you need to make a priority is where and how you are going to secure the weapon, trigger lock, safe, locked gun case, carry with you all the time, etc. JMHO :thumbsup:

Totally agree with dmrowe. The revolver is the best way to gaurentee no jam. But, you are limited to the ammo that you have. I have put well over 5000 rounds through my Glock, and can't remember the last time it stovepiped or double fed. I use good ammo and I keep the gun cleaned, oiled, and maintained. I carry the Glock because it does not have a safety. It is actually built into the trigger, remember....a gun is a tool/weapon, not a toy. The thing about getting a gun of any kind is that you have to be ready to use it. If you can't say to yourself "If someone breaks into my house, and I am home they are not leaving alive." Then you need to buy a ball bat or a katana sword. I have never had to pull it, and I hope I hope I never do. The rules of engagement....if you pull it, you better use it. Otherwise, keep it put away.

As for locks, safes etc... I have a safe to put everything in when I am not at home. The more expensive hunting rifles/shotguns and assult rifles stay in my safe. But I every hand gun loaded with one in the chamber, and backup mags ready. Some people call me paranoid, I call myself prepared.

I agree with above said though. You should have some education and A LOT of practice. I have a LEO in the family, who was a sniper and now works undercover, and he got me on this kick when I bought my first home, and taught me how to clean, maintain, and shoot everything that I have now. The other thing that I would tell you to do is get your concealed carry permit if your state allows it. If you don't chances are at some point in time you will be tempted to carry and if you get caught, it's bye-bye time.

ok off my :soapbox:

I wish everyone had and carried a hand gun....especially with the economy in the shape that it's in. People get bold when it's like this, they would think twice before robbing someone if everyone had a hand gun.

Alright....alright..... I'm done!

I love my Glock 21. Its never jammed. The ppks jams frequently when I'm firing the cheaper ammo at the range.

I would say that if you are going to .40 I would go with a Glock 27. This is my carry weapon and I love it. It is small enought that I can wear it on my ankle if I choose to, or I can hide in under a sweatchirt of T-shirt. Lots of knockdown, and durable as hell.I bought mine new for $400, but I stole it. A fair price would prolly be $440. The nice thing about the glock is that you can find accessories and parts everywhere. Glock is now also the carry weapon for multiple Law Enforcement departments. I also have a Beretta 9mm (Too big to conceal) and a Springfield .45 ACP (just in case a run away gorilla breaks into my house.) The real toys are the AR-15's, but those are something that you can get later on. I have just a few if those, and they are a blast!

Just my $.02

Glocks are so awesome. I would suggest the Glock over a shotgun for one reason. A shotgun ties up your hands unless it's slung. Pistols IMHO are far better for this job. Point shooting especially at close range is so easy. The Glock is the easiest of all weapons to operate and maintain and they never malfunction; that's right never.

If you decide to go this route I suggest getting into a good firearms / concealed weapons permit class and become very proficient with any weapon you choose. When the crap goes down your training is what you'll fall back on. Make sure you train weak hand and one hand only operation. You never know...

I agree, but, my Glocks have never malfunctioned and I've put tens of thousands of rounds down range. All I do is clean it. Plus I start out with 16 rounds.

Shotgun is best home defense weapon. Not likely to miss, nor is the round going to go thru three walls and kill your wife/children hiding in the next room.

Having said that, I'm actually wearing my clock 27 right now, but I think i like the 26 (9mm) better. Dosen't kick so hard more controllable.

Shotgun is best home defense weapon. Not likely to miss, nor is the round going to go thru three walls and kill your wife/children hiding in the next room.

Having said that, I'm actually wearing my clock 27 right now, but I think i like the 26 (9mm) better. Dosen't kick so hard more controllable.

Someone needs.....

yhst-20483522292137_2038_39573842.jpg

:poke: :thumbsup:

yhst-20483522292137_2038_39573842.jpg

Ok, ok...:moon:

I just find I have better accuracy and time back on target improved with the 9.

Back