Are Gen II OEM pistons Forged ?

RacingJake

Registered
Got a 2008 B King and it has the Gen II engine and would like to know if the pistons are Cast or Forged ?

Thanks
Jake

i guess

forged pistons might be a lot more expensive than cast ones.

the bike - over all - would become more expensive
what would lower their profit.

They are forged. Below is from the Suzuki website.

Engine Features
Powerful, 1340cc, inline-four-cylinder, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, DOHC engine delivers a broad wave of torque for effortless acceleration.
Forged three-ring aluminum alloy slipper pistons provide superior strength, while PVD-coated rings reduce friction and improve cylinder sealing.

Engine Features
Powerful, 1340cc, inline-four-cylinder, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, DOHC engine delivers a broad wave of torque for effortless acceleration.
Forged three-ring aluminum alloy slipper pistons provide superior strength, while PVD-coated rings reduce friction and improve cylinder sealing.
Guess I need to take a closer look. They look cast to me.
@RacingJake why do you want to know if they’re forged? Plan on throwing some boost at it?

Here shortly I’ll be doing a budget build series on YouTube. The goal is to build a 500hp capable engine for less then $1500. I’ll be reusing the factory pistons with the ring gaps opened up.

In my opinion, the rings are the weak point as they are really thin. The crowns of the piston are a concern too as there’s a lot of material removed to keep the pistons light. But if they are forged that will help out in the long run.

Engine Features

thanks for that info for the GEN 2 !

but how is it at the gen 1 ?

I would never rely on a marketing blurb such as the bike description on Suzuki's web site for robust parts information, particularly for a part that one is planning on pushing to the limits. Documentation tends to be the last thing that any company updates and also information that perpetually contains mistakes. In one year a company may use one part, then while they may change the processes all sorts of bureaucratic factors prevent the information from getting corrected everywhere.

Just an aside: I find it odd that the experienced tech's impression is that the pistons are cast, which differs from the marketing blurb. Hrm.

Are there different grades of forging today or is any sort of forging all of the information one needs to know?

I would suggest writing to Suzuki customer service but unlike Honda I have not gotten a response from them. (Score: Honda 1 Suzuki 0)

i did a bit research and found this at "mahle"

I quote from their homepage :
"Another advantage of forged pistons is the potential to produce thinner walls, thus reducing weight. "

from this quote it follows for me that you could only get a really reliable statement if you compared the weight of a forged and a of cast piston .
both from the same Busa and same dia .
prerequisite - neither of the two pistons has been machined in any way.
then the lighter one should be the forged piston.

but who of us would have the time and money to go this way ?

at one thing i am quiet sure - if you drill up the cylinders you only will use / get forged pistons, because there won't be that sized casted pistons for our busa on the market, i guess.
i also guess that their weight might be too high for the crankshaft´s bearings.

i did a bit research and found this at "mahle"

I quote from their homepage :
"Another advantage of forged pistons is the potential to produce thinner walls, thus reducing weight. "

from this quote it follows for me that you could only get a really reliable statement if you compared the weight of a forged and a of cast piston .
both from the same Busa and same dia .
prerequisite - neither of the two pistons has been machined in any way.
then the lighter one should be the forged piston.

but who of us would have the time and money to go this way ?

at one thing i am quiet sure - if you drill up the cylinders you only will use / get forged pistons, because there won't be that sized casted pistons for our busa on the market, i guess.
i also guess that their weight might be too high for the crankshaft´s bearings.
I would expect aftermarket pistons to be billet, not forged. Could be wrong but given the low volume would make sense.

@RacingJake why do you want to know if they’re forged? Plan on throwing some boost at it?

I do have a T25 turbo and manifold in my closet that could go on ? but right now I'm running a 20 shot of nitrous with ECU Editor. I also got a Turbo Coupe running 25lbs of boost with all the goodies and the car is a blast to drive so the B King might be next.

You know that old saying " Forged pistons can make a bad turner look good for awhile" LOL, I like to think I'm a good tuner, wait that doesn't sounds right.

Last edited:
I do have a T25 turbo and manifold in my closet that could go on ? but right now I'm running a 20 shot of nitrous with ECU Editor. I also got a Turbo Coupe running 25lbs of boost with all the goodies and the car is a blast to drive so the B King might be next.

You know that old saying " Forged pistons can make a bad turner look good for awhile" LOL, I like to think I'm a good tuner, wait that doesn't sounds right.
Pics of the turbo coupe?

I was looking for a car in about 1992 to replace my Delta 88. A family friend who just buys and enjoys various cars had a Black Thunderbird Turbo with red striping, black wheels, and a ground effects kit from a reputable local company. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. He wanted 7 or 8k for it, a ton of money for an aging used car so I had to pass. :(

I paid 3K for it 2 years ago and kept reading about guys paying 500 for one, not my luck.

I bought this car in June, picked it up in July, was hit in the rear quarter panel and total in August, and repaired in September. Got 3500 back from Insurance so I broke even on most of the parts.

Here shortly I’ll be doing a budget build series on YouTube. The goal is to build a 500hp capable engine for less then $1500. I’ll be reusing the factory pistons with the ring gaps opened up.

In my opinion, the rings are the weak point as they are really thin. The crowns of the piston are a concern too as there’s a lot of material removed to keep the pistons light. But if they are forged that will help out in the long run.

WOW I'd be happy with 300 !

Good Luck

Back