Arai, Motorcycle Superstore

I have delt with Arai customer service a few times and have never experienced anything like this. All the issues I had were minor and were solved very quickly and at no charge.

I hope it all works out for you.

Check the return/exchange policy (either that came with the helmet or what's on the website) and see what language supports a return or exchange. Then check Arai's website for warranty information on the helmet. Finally, every state has laws regarding implied and express warranties for goods, and in most states, they have to be specifically limited or disclaimed in writing. And many states have laws regarding the ability of consumers to reject goods within so many days.

Armed with whatever information you can gather, call (and then confirm in writing with) the manager at the "Super"store and tell him or her that you want to cancel the order for the Arai because of the defects in the helmet.

I really hate to hear this kind of stuff. Good luck.

Found this on Motorcycle-Superstore.com, if that's where you purchased it from:

Motorcycle Superstore Returns and Exchanges
All returns must be postmarked no later than 30 days from the original customer shipment date. Returns and exchanges must be in new condition and include original product packaging. Customer must ship all items in a shipping box or envelope; do not use the product packaging as a shipping container. Returns that do not meet these requirements will be refused by Motorcycle Superstore.
Warranty Exchanges: All warranty claims are processed through individual product manufacturers and subject to their policies and discretion. Warranty items should be returned directly to the manufacturer unless advised otherwise by a Motorcycle Superstore customer service representative.

Exchanges & Your Credit Card: When you return an item for exchange, credit card processing rules require us to issue a credit to your card and then charge the card for the new item being purchased. A credit can take 24-48 hours to post to your credit card account. We are not permitted to apply the original purchase price to the new order even if it is an exchange for the same item.

Found this on Arai's website:

WARRANTY
All Arai helmets are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, and are serviceable only for the properly fitted* first user for 5 years from date of first use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture. It should be replaced within 5 years of first use.

*As neither Arai or the consumer can be assured that helmets sold by mail order, phone or internet are properly fitted and delivered in original, as new condition, Arai cannot and does not extend its warranty to helmets purchased through these channels.

The Warranty and date information can be found on your chinstrap (one of the chinstraps is shown in the photo above). The date-of-manufacture (month / year) is on the opposite strap, for example 08/01, 04/02, 10/02, etc.

Warranty Policy and Procedures
Arai helmets are warranted as serviceable only for the properly fitted first user, for 5 years of use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture, for materials and workmanship. It should be replaced within 5 years of first use. Significant paint fading within the first year of use will be covered by the warranty, but fading claims submitted after 12 months from date of purchase will be handled on a pro-rated basis, based on the 60 months of the 5 year warranty period. ....

Arai reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to repair or replace any Arai helmet or Arai helmet part found to be defective in either material and/or workmanship within the warranty period.
All warranty claims must be submitted, directly to the retailer from whom the helmet and/or part was purchased, immediately following the discovery of a possible warranty problem. Any delay may effect or void the warranty.
Examples of problems not covered by this warranty include, but are not limited to:
Paint chipping or plastic damage/cracking due to impacts from road debris or impact with the ground or solid object while being worn, carried or transported.

I had the same miserable experience with Arai US, even contacted HQ in Japan.

Good helmet, terrible US distributor regarding customer service.

It'd be nice (or at least the bare minimum of service) to at least have a contact phone number, ARAI that is.

As far as motorcycle-superstores goes, I spoke with the manager Friday about 1 pm Eastern and she said she would call Arai immediately and asked if I wanted to hang on or have them call me back. I said call me back....

It is now 4:06 pm eastern on Monday and I have yet to hear a peep from anyone...good thing I wasn't waiting on hold  
pissed.gif

March 7th Update * This is getting comical.

I received an E-mail from motorcycle superstore service manager, here it is...

Dear (me),

I received a phone call today from Kathy at Arai.  She inquired into the status of your Arai Profile Sinister Helmet (SKU 225858, Medium, Black) and Arai Standard Faceshield (SKU 226115, Dark Smoke) from your order XXXXX.  She was told by the guys who are fixing the helmet that they have ordered new base plates for the helmet so the scratching doesn’t occur again.  It sounded as though that they have fixed the scratch that was already there.  Kathy also mentioned that the guys who will fix the helmet will be gone at Daytona and will not be back until March 19th.  I will be following up with them to make sure that the helmet has been sent back out to us on the 19th.  If you have any questions about the progress of this repair, you can call Arai at 610-837-4210 (Eastern).  You can also reach me via email or by the phone number below.

Thank you,

Victoria Freis

Returns Lead

Motorcycle Superstore

877-668-6872 ext *3228

------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off - no one called me and told me what happened and how to fix it and if I would be happy with a repair on my $550 month old helmet.

Second of all - this fricken thing is going to take 3 months to resolve, WhatThe... The only guys on the planet from Arai that can fix my helmet are going to Daytona for 12 DAYS....again...wtf.

Thirdly - Since they are replacing base plates, obviously the original ones are defective and Arai should (quite frankly) be kissing my butt to make me happy...and they are not...matter of fact, no one seems to give on rats arse about me  
mad.gif

I know how you feel, I just went through a bunch of horrible customer service with an ATV related company called Pro-Armor. I finally got in touch with the actual owner of the company to get my situation heard/resolved, and that shouldn't have to be how it has to be handled.

I neverr like their products anyway...good to hear about the behind the scene...by the way, Shoei is my next one...
wink.gif

For your entertainment purposes *

April 2nd update

Well, another month has come and gone still no helmet.

I did get a call on Monday from Arai, they assure me the scratches will buff out (I am sceptical) but said it was ready to go. They will drop ship directly to me and asked for my address. Said it will go out THAT DAY (March 26th).

Haven't seen it as of April 2nd so I asked for a tracking number. They said it went out Friday, the 30th.

After 8+weeks it takes them 5 days to drop it in the mail. No sense of urgency for customer satisfaction, Arai truely does not give a sht. Motorcycle-Superstore is no better...

God help them if after all this, their "buff" job is not spectacular.

Sorry again to hear all this. Hope it works out for you.

Not that it helps, but I haven't had a single problem with my two Shoei helmets and three Alpinestars jackets from the manufacturers and Ironpony.com. In the end, I guess it's all just luck.

I do Quality Control for a living and I understand nothing is 100% defect free but what gripes me is 1) how little Arai cares and 2) how motorcycle-superstore doesn't care or want to go to bat for it's customers on their behalf.

I don't normally post here, but I have to add my two cents in on this one.  I too had a somewhat similar experience with Aria and their terrible customer service.  In my case, it was a cheek pad that had fallen loose.

The dealership that I had purchased the helmet from had gone out of business, so I did not have that avenue.  So I attempted to contact Aria directly, and ran into the exact same thing that the person who started this post did.  No phone number; only an email that was tersely responded to.

After batting a couple of emails back and forth (at about two days each, like above), I was given an obscure snail-mail address and told to send my helmet in.  Now mind you, no form to fill out, no tracking number, or anything “official†like that.  As far as I was able to tell, I was talking to a hacker on the other end.  I wasn’t ABOUT to mail my helmet off to an address that I could not verify!

Luckily, I took my helmet to a dealership that is an Aria dealer.  They had a repair kit in the shop, and fixed my helmet for free while I waited (Dreyer Cycle in Indianapolis- thank you folks!).  Since then, the other cheek pad has developed the same problem.  I took it back to Dreyer again and they no longer offer repair services, thanks to Aria pulling the plug.  So I have decided to just live with it the problem until I feel that the helmet has outlasted it usefulness.

But indeed, though my problem is not as bad as the one described in this post, I can relate.  I do like this helmet, but it is for sure my LAST Aria, and I have recommended against them to several of my riding buddies.  I’ll go with a Shoei or something else like that in the future.

rant.gif

As we move to a more automated World we will see less and less good service.

Sorry so much grief over a helmet. Hope it works well for you when you get it back.

I used to be a big Arai Corsair fan. I just went to buy a new helmet and I tried on a Shoei X11. Light, comfy, sold!

The End

I'll rip when necessary and give credit freely when due...

Got the helmet back today and they did a nice job on it. It looks brand new. New faceshield, looks like this one clears the helmet, scratches are gone.

Could have been handled much better and QUICKER, I still say 10 weeks is bs.

Send Arai a copy of this thread. I sure makes me want to stay away from them.

(hydrabusa @ Apr. 04 2007,00:21) I was thinkin about this one...but, I'll pass...going back to good ole Shoei...
rock.gif
That's a sweet looking helmet.

I wore my Arai this morning and it's a wonderful helmet. Fits like a glove, I like it much much better than my Shoei in every aspect. I forgot how nice it was
bowdown.gif

Arai helmets kick arse, it's just their customer service sux. And I'd stay far away from motorcyle-superstore, I want a vendor that will apply some pressure and back up their customers if needed.

All in all would I buy another Arai...they fit so darn good, I'd have to say yes, almost exclusively BUT...any problems from here on out I fix or resolve by myself.

I have 2 RX7's, never a problem with either.I've had I think 6-7 Shoeis,I still have 3 and love them as well.The visor change on an Arai has a little to be desired which only takes seconds on the Shoeis.If I ever get treated like this by ANY manufacturer,believe me,they will be sorry.

Back