Arai giving away helmets for free...

eynlai

Registered
... Or at least they're acting like they are. With their snooty attitude by restricting internet and mail order sales. I know this is a old topic, but I just have to ask: How many of you bought another Arai since their gestpo, no mail order/internet sales policy?

Who exactly do these people at Arai think they are? Versace? Louie Vuitton? Like their crap don't stink. I don't care how much peeps are raving about Arai's, if there is a comparable out there, that treats their customers better (pre-sales and post-sales), then I'll put my $$$ on that instead...Oops, someone forgot to tell Arai that there are something comparable... Shoei, Suomy, etc... Sure Shoei restricted on advertised price over the internet, but at least you can still call and buy.

I guess Arai's executives/family didn't pay attention to the 4 P's of Marketing. They may be strong at product (quality), promotion (advertising), but they already are weak in Price (higher MMRP, Manufacturer Mandatory Retail Price), and with this NO internet/mail order sales restriction, they just lopped off 1 of their 3 remaining legs, Place (location, location, virtual location?).

Silly, snooty Arai. If you wanted to be like BMW, you sure did succeed. Guess Arai's executives/family been rubbing elbows with the BMW executives too much down at the country to learn the, "We are Arai, our crap don't stink. And we don't care how hard it is for potential (or existing) customers to get our products. Because if they can't drive/ride/fly 100 miles to our "authorized" dealers to have a 19 y.o. wrap a metric tape measure around their head for $600. Then those people aren't our target market, and we don't want them to be our customers."

Hmmm... I was thinking about a Shoei X-Eleven, Suomy, Vemar, or Schuberth.

Ya know I had the same reaction... I was freakin pissed. BUT, then I did some asking around and Arai did it to insure that people were getting properly fitted helmets. (IN THEORY BY SOMEONE TRAINED) I know I know, but it was explained to me that they were getting too much negative feedback regarding helmets fitting improperly and not performing properly due to this. So instead of risking folks dying due to their own stupidity and inability to understand basic helmet fit, they made it a "FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ONLY" thing...

Yeah I was pissed but after listening to folks here and out in the world talk about helmets and wondering how they should fit? I think they (ARAI) made the right move...

STILL A PAIN IN ASS THOUGH I agree...

I was wondering why they couldn't Mail out a "Sizing Kit" kinda like Vanson does. Then you can size yourself properly, and mail in your results... Hell At least sell them DIRECT through one online Vendor at least...

VEMAR keeps catching my eye... They have that trippy Carbon helmet...
thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, but that "proper" fit excuse is just another 98% bogus reason that Arai seems to use universally to charge more for their product without exception. I say 98% because I like to think that 98% of us that can throttle back, clutch in, shift up, throttle and clutch out will have enough sense to properly fit a helmet to ourselves. Come on now! How hard is it really to fit a helmet, keep head in place while rocking test helmet back and forth, side to side to see if there's side? Oh, let's not forget the 1 finger slip between the forehead pad and our forehead!

Jeez... Arai makes it sound like they would tailor mold a helmet to a customers head to craddle every bump! If that was the case then I can understand. Like a nice dresser from Ethan Allen's or a cool 3-button black suit tailor cut.

laugh.gif
Still sounds like ya have some unresolved Arai Angst...

Seriously? NO I don't think a good number of folks here know how a helmet should fit. Same with leathers...

Not because they are ignorant wretches, but because it isn't necessarily intuitive...
smile.gif

It's OK Man, Breath deep, Go check out a Vemar... I'd like to hear how they actually work...

Go check out a Vemar... I'd like to hear how they actually work...
I was wonderin' about Vemar lids, too. I read a review of one and while it was a half assed review they raved about it and actually kinda halfway put it above the Arai in a round about way.

I've already decided that I won't be buyin' an Arai for my next lid. The reviews I posted the link to and what I've seen and heard elsewhere has me convinced that Arai lids are not worth the price. My next lid will likely be a Shoei unless I find a Vemar in stock somewhere and get blown away by it.

That's too bad man, But you cannot really go wrong with a Shoei...

ehhh, i'll keep my hjc ac-11. the only pricy helmet that looks kinda of appealing is the roof helmet but i can't find any place where i can actually try it on so for now, hjc is fine. my friend is looking for an arai corsiar retail for about 700 bucks at most dealers, he's really into the name thing though.

$700 for a name. I love it. That's what I really think Arai is really selling on. Theorically, they can turn out a batch of crappy lids for 2005... Cheapest material, forced labor assembly in China's political prison camps, route all of their customer care calls to India.... But if they pick it back up in 2006, they can still come back based on the name and still sell crappy during that 2005 year. Oooops... DON'T YOU SNEAKY BASTARDS EXECUTIVES AT ARAI GET ANY IDEAS, YOU MOMMYPHUCKERS!!! That was just meant to be sarcasm.

But seriously, I currently have a Shoei RF-1000(my first helmet just like Busa is my first bike), but was just looking for something different... Better maybe? But it obviously won't be an Arai.... Okay, Rev. You can lay it on with the analogy about how starting out with a Busa and a Shoei is like loosing my virginity to a supermodel in Paris... Yeah, I still remember that reply to one of my earlier posts.

I'll see about checking out the Vemar and let you all know if I pick up one.

Umm Seriously though eynlai... ARAI is the helmet I trust more than any other... MADE IN JAPAN, IN THE SAME FACTORY they were made in 30 something years ago...

You can ##### and Whine and Spout off all you want, doesn't change the fact that ARAI is still the Best made, best fitting helmet on the market... They take pride in their product. Something that is lacking elsewhere...

So go ahead, and join the long line of folks HATING ARAI for whatever misguided personal reason they can come up with. It's just like the Hayabusa, those that don't own one just don't get it and spend WAY too much time picking them apart...

Besides Your just frustrated about being denied your Quick ARAI fix... "I want it now now!!!! I'm more important, I'm an American Consumer, I must have it NOW!!!"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm finding out that it is important to get a really snug fitting helmet though because as the thing "breaks-in" it gets looser which really makes a big difference when you factor in 180 mph winds. I have a big ol mellon so I got the XL Shoei which was tight as hell but has broken in pretty good for me. Glad I didn't get the XXL, of course they didn't make that size when I got mine.:)

Rev pretty much summed it up, but I'll add a bit.

I've been riding for the last 26 years, and I've had just about every level of helmet that there is. From the $30 Wal-Mart specials to the...yes...$600 Arai Corsair RX-7. I can honestly say that I've never had a more comfortable feeling helmet. It is a bit noisy, but it's a small trade off for the comfort and protection it provides. I'm not sure about Shoie or the others,but Arai has a completely removable inner liner that can be washed, and also multiple pieces so that you can customized the fit with different cheek pads, top pads, etc... This will allow you to have a custom helmet for many years to come even if your body changes. The Arai's also have one of the thinnest shells but still manages to outperform most other brands.

I didn't like the idea of finding an authorized dealer, but once I got the Corsair, I never had any second thoughts about it. It sucked paying for it, but then again...What is your head/life worth?

Arai helmets are the best period, and they cost the most as well (in general). You get what you pay for and my head is worth the best. Your call here. I agree the sales policy is kind of a pain but it is for good intentions on Arai's part.

Thinnest shell, light weight, most comfort, several shapes to suit several heads, awesome graphics (if that is your thing). What is not to like (well except the price). And besides I have a large-ish head so if I buy a Shoei or any other brand it looks like I am wearing a blimp. Again, Arai helmets have thin shells which allow a smaller physical size and to make thinner shells that still pass the testing process requires high tech materials which require high cost (and also make for less weight - yeah!). Makes sense to me.

Rev, you got me all pegged wrong. It's not lack of patience I'm guilty of. If it was then I wouldn't be b*tching about NOT being able to buy off the internet/mail order. I'm willing to put up with the wait, even if it's 2 weeks. What I'm b*tching about is the lack of choice that came about due to Arai's no sales via internet/mail order policy. THAT in my book is UNAmerican. It hampers (maybe not as much) the whole Free Enterprise system that this great country's economic system is builded on.

Damn it! IF I wanted to have my choices of which retailers restricted, I move my skinny little ass to China.... Don't get all PC on me, I'm chinese so I can say that
smile.gif

No, no, no... What I want is choice. The ability to choose who, what, where, when and how to buy. I want the retailers to compete for my $450 - $600, with price, and service. Arai's policy undermines all of that. GREAT product Arai's helmets maybe, but what mindset is their principle on service?

I do understand the frustration, hell I had the same reaction initially because I needed a new helmet, wanted an Arai only to find out I cannot just point and click one? This was especially frustrating cause I had allready worn an ARAI Quantum for a few thousand miles... I knew exactly what I needed... Yeah I was pissed. But in the end, it was worth it to go to the dealership, and work it out with them... Frustrating, but worth it, lid fits perfect.

But, Shoei builds top notch lids too, and there X-11 and a couple of others seems to be nice and modern with all the ventilation you'll ever need. Problem solved.

Though I still think you need to get the Carbon Venmar and take lots of pics....

LQQkn Schweeet (Vemar VSR Carbon).
bdm.com
List price $899.95  - Our Price $764.95

WEIGHT:  We mention it in other sections of our site, but the European 22-05 standard helmets have a HUGE advantage in the weight department.  The VSR comes in at just over 3lbs, placing it at the top of the helmet industry.

VENTING:  The VSR has a very aggressive vent system.  Even in the heat of Arizona, the helmet works outstanding.  This helmet is noisy, and we've found that ear plugs are a must at above 75mph.

PERFORMANCE:  At speed the VSR stays planted, and we encountered no helmet lift.

FIT:  We've found that most riders will stay with their current size when switching to the VSR.  We would describe the shell as more round than oval, but those with moderately oval heads also achieve a good fit.

Sounds like I am outta luck... I got a head like fuggin Brick. No way the Vemar is going to be the right Oval shape...
sad.gif

Back