Anyone use a shipping company recently?

Yup. I used these guys (for the third time) a short while back to ship my Gen3 from Virginia to Texas. Also used them to ship my TL1000R from IA to CA and ship my Z1000 from MN to CA.

Haul-Bikes.jpg

I’m thinking of Atlanta GA to Fresno CA. What did they charge for the longest trip they made for you? Atlanta is about 2400 miles away.

Terry it cost $689 to ship the Gen3 from Virginia to El Paso, Texas. I think i paid about $500 for the other bikes through Haulbikes.com. But fuel was much cheaper then. Don't be in a hurry. The Gen3 got picked up in early November & arrived in El Paso mid-January. (It seemed like forever!) I then had to get the bike from Texas to California and that took more time & another buddy of mine has a place in Quarzite, AZ & offered to bring it back to CA. Those two met halfway along the interstate halfway between Quartzite, AZ & El Paso, Texas & swapped the bike.
The other two bikes (IA & MN purchases) were much faster. Don't know why this one took so long. But overall, I have had really good experience with all three of my out-of-state purchases. Sellers were cool and worked with me on all the little things despite the scariness of buying bikes completely sight unseen.

I also bought a fourth bike out-of-state, my second Gen2 sight-unseen but it was in Washington on Craigs List. A buddy of mine found out what I was doing and offered to go get it for me. (it was a joke at first, but then just sounded cool to him) He flew up to Spokane, Washington, Uber to the guys house from the airport and bought the bike for me and rode it back to CA from Washington. I paid for his flight & all his hotel expenses & it was still cheaper to buy out of state. Another one of my buddies found out about that fly-n-ride plan to go get my Gen2 and so he rode 1400 miles solo up to Spokane all the way from Los Angeles and met my buddy in Spokane, and they both rode back together from Spokane, WA back to CA and both said it was one of the best rides they'd ever done. People don't know that much of Eastern Oregon is desert-like and has a lot of open straight line roads. They took the long way and had a great time.

A week after he got home from that ride on my new Gen2, he hopped on Craigs List and bought a Gen2 for himself. When I went over to his place to pick up my new bike, there were two Gen2s in his garage. The white one was his, the blue one was mine. :D

Last edited:
I’ve gone out of state before for bikes without seeing them in person but not being familiar with them (used) no matter what the seller said, I didn’t feel like riding them home. I flew to Seattle to get my 1979 CBX and trucked it back. It rained every mile of the trip. I was happy to be in the truck. I drove a pickup 1,100 miles to Dillon MT to bring back a six year old Ducati with only a thousand miles on it. Despite the shape this bike is in a trip from Cornelia GA, some 2,400 + miles would be a gamble riding a 43 year old bike that (could) have an issue. Maybe I don’t like the seat! :D Finding a mechanic would be sheer luck. If I get it I do plan to tour on it. My 82 was a great touring rig. Never let me down. A low beam bulb burnt out somewhere NE of Cody WY on one trip though…But like any bike, I’d like to go thru it a bit and get some seat time in before heading all the way up 49 or Montana. Doing some calculations comparing a flight there and ride back, barring any problems that might arise, to having it shipped, shipping is cheaper. I’d want a delivery date closer to two weeks from pickup though. I’ll probably have to pay for that. I should know within a few days what I’m going to do.

Back