Anyone try push starting a bike?

drfbusa

Registered
I left the head light on and killed the battery. I got a new one, but thought about a push start. Has anyone ever done it? I saw a few youtub vids, but wanted to get the Org's thoughts.

anyone done it?

it's heavy...
firedevil.gif

one small issue....

Electronics typically require around 10.7 volts to work.. that needs to also have enough amperage to fire the coils and injectors... So unless the motor can at least start to crank itself, you likely do not have enough juice to run the computers... not like the old days at all...

You can do it on a busa with no problem, just pop the clutch in second gear (with the key on and the run/stop switch in the run position)

Pay attention: SECOND GEAR
smile.gif

First gear just gets your leathers all moist... and moist is a four letter word.

I did it all day one time when my buddys busa wouldnt hold a charge. The shop was closed on sunday and we wanted to ride. The prob was that he didnt know how to ride worth a **** and kept stalling out. This was in the middle of the street, at stop signs, red lights, parking lots LoL everywhere. He got a busa for his first bike ever. We laugh about it now but then it was 97deg and I was doing all the pushing I wasnt laughing. I must have pushed that bike 18 times on that hot azz day.
I felt obligated tho. I kinda punked him into getting a busa.
So yea, you can push start it in second. Make sure the key is on and make sure your in gear for God sake.

Why 2D gear?

I had enough juice to get the starter to turn but not enough to turn the motor. Im going to practice for the next bone head-leave-my-key-in-brain-fart. How fast do I have to go when im pushing? Can I push it while sitting on the bike?

Second was just easier for us. And find a hill or driveway or something cause you have to be at a good steady roll. 3-5 mph I guess.

I tried this just yesterday. I must be doing something wrong, I just couldn't do it. I did have it in 3rd, would that make enough of a difference? Will have to try it again.

I tried this just yesterday. I must be doing something wrong, I just couldn't do it. I did have it in 3rd, would that make enough of a difference? Will have to try it again.
regardless of what gear it is in, if you do not have enough juice to power the electronics, it is not going to start... the higher gear just makes it a bit easier to get the motor turning (wont lock the rear tire) when you dump the clutch.

You can not push start a completely (or nearly so) dead battery

Why 2D gear?

I had enough juice to get the starter to turn but not enough to turn the motor. Im going to practice for the next bone head-leave-my-key-in-brain-fart. How fast do I have to go when im pushing? Can I push it while sitting on the bike?
Use 2nd gear because 1st gear grabs too hard (engine braking) and practically brings you to a dead stop as soon as you loosen the clutch.

3rd gear probably won't work because you aren't hitting the engine hard enough to fire everything up.

2nd will give you a quick sputter, a slight tug under the rear tire, followed by the engine firing. All without slowing you down much. It's the sweet spot.

Why 2D gear?

I had enough juice to get the starter to turn but not enough to turn the motor.  Im going to practice for the next bone head-leave-my-key-in-brain-fart.  How fast do I have to go when im pushing?  Can I push it while sitting on the bike?
Use 2nd gear because 1st gear grabs too hard (engine braking) and practically brings you to a dead stop as soon as you loosen the clutch.

3rd gear probably won't work because you aren't hitting the engine hard enough to fire everything up.

2nd will give you a quick sputter, a slight tug under the rear tire, followed by the engine firing.  All without slowing you down much.  It's the sweet spot.
2nd gear starts them everytime.

Just what he said above...
werd.gif

Use jumper cables from a car to charge up the battery enough to activate the self check ( When the speedo and tach needles sweep up and back)

Find one or two pushers and a slight downhill incline,bump start, go riding for 50 miles or so your battery should be good again.

Just get a charger. Lots of them these days have big capacitors that let you actually start the bike on the charger (with a nearly dead battery).

I did it all day one time when my buddys busa wouldnt hold a charge. The shop was closed on sunday and we wanted to ride. The prob was that he didnt know how to ride worth a **** and kept stalling out. This was in the middle of the street, at stop signs, red lights, parking lots LoL everywhere. He got a busa for his first bike ever. We laugh about it now but then it was 97deg and I was doing all the pushing I wasnt laughing. I must have pushed that bike 18 times on that hot azz day.
So yea, you can push start it in second. Make sure the key is on and make sure your in gear for God sake.
rofl.gif

That just made my day  
laugh.gif

And I always said the Busa has so much torque it's almost impossible to stall...(Yes I've done it to...once
winkold.gif
)

rofl.gif

That just made my day  
laugh.gif

And I always said the Busa has so much torque it's almost impossible to stall...(Yes I've done it to...once
winkold.gif
)
That's true, if the idle is set right. However, when I first got mine the idle was at about 7 or 800rpm and if you BARELY engaged the clutch without enough throttle it would stall. Granted if you engage the clutch too much on anything without enough throttle it'll stall, but if it just barely started engaging at all it would stall. Now I've got the idle set at 12-1500 and it never stalls anymore.

Back