Anyone know if this battery will fit?

No it will not, the largest battery that will fit is a YTX12,, and with that you need to modify the bottom of the seat a little!

No it will not, the largest battery that will fit is a YTX12,, and with that you need to modify the bottom of the seat a little!

The BS-12 at the end of the part number is supposed to indicate it as a direct replacement for the YTX12 size battery...

This is the one I have in my 2009.

LFX18A1-BS12

If you walk yourself thru the menu on Shorai site two come up.
Ones a regular replacement and the other which is one I got is more heavier duty.

The factory battery measures at 5.85" wide, 3.25" deep and I dunno how tall (didn't take it out) so if it is more than 5.5" tall then the Shorai should fit...

Get the one I posted..

Fits fine..

3d2c774f.jpg

Blanca, I take it from the pic you posted that the -18 battery is still significantly smaller than the factory battery? Did it come with the foam or did you have to supply your own? Thanks for the pic BTW :beerchug:

Came with lots of different foam pieces in varying sizes and thickness.
All had adhesive on one side to stick it in place. Even came with one piece for the bottom of battery tray .Worked perfect. And yes it is much smaller than stock. You can see size reduction by amount of foam I had to use to fill tray so new one fit snugly.

Before....
e2ff2365.jpg

After....
41504173.jpg

Turns over quicker and fires up quicker as well.
Other than that I can't tell any difference.

Nice. Sounds Good :beerchug: Just had 2 bikes battery go dead on our last ride, weird. We went to Advanced Auto and all they had was Dry Cell Batteries. I have to say it was kinda weird but it worked. It was like Mr Wizards world out in the parking lot to get it going. :laugh:

Ok so here goes, I had some time today so I pulled the factory battery for comparison prior to ordering the Shorai (disclaimer, not doing this to be a d!ck, just for info purposes, any mod improving the function of the bike is worth looking into):

The stock battery on gen 2 IS a YTX12-BS . The one which requires some seat mod (trimming the plastic pan, no big deal) is the YTX14-BS.

Actual measurements of YTX12-BS: 5.125" Tall x 5.875" Wide x 3.250" Deep
Shorai Measurements of LFX21A6-12BS: 5.510" Tall x 5.830" Wide x 3.230" Deep

This indicates that the Shorai is 0.385" taller than the factory battery, and is slightly smaller than the factory battery in all other dimensions. The factory battery just kisses the underside of the seat, as there is actually a foam pad on the seat tray which just takes the "DO NOT OPEN" battery case raised lettering imprint very slightly.

This indicates to me that any thickness including the battery retention foam and the plastic pan can be included in the measurement of material I can remove.

The plastic and foam of the bottom of the seat pan measure out to be 0.375" thick. This indicates to me that the factory seat foam will apply 0.010" worth of tension on the top of the battery, which I believe will be fine for the Shorai, as I believe this is the same for the YTX-14BS battery.

Anyone got a link to the YTX-14's dimensions or the thread where guys were modifying the seat pan? I just want to make sure I will not be squashing/damaging my new battery in any way,...

Also I want to note, the factory battery terminals touch the seat foam, so I'm assuming the seat foam is non-conductive enough to touch the Shorai terminals too...

ETA: the reason I want to go as big with the battery as possible is because I plan on adding a relatively high current draw (~200 watts) accessory soon, and I figure I will upgrade the factory battery cables:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/electrical-mods/133945-rewiring-battery-starter.html
while I am in there.

Last edited:
The battery I linked for you is the heavy duty model.
Here is the description.

The LFX Duration recommendation is for those who want the strongest possible cranking performance and lifespan, and don’t mind a slight increase in weight and cost compared to the standard recommendation. Users with extra electrical accessories - like stereo systems used regularly when the vehicle isn’t running - may also choose the duration suggestion. This LFX battery is 5.17 Lbs. lighter than the lead-acid YTX12-BS. For technical questions, please see the Shorai FAQ.

So why are you looking at another model which needs to have seat pan cut to make it work?

if you dont end up getting that one you can look into ballistic batteries ...when i bought my bike it had a weak battery...replaced it with a ballistic;fits perfect and turns over pretty easy and i didnt have to modify the seat.

Get at least the 18 amp battery, the 30 amp might fit in there as I had to use most of the foam provided and one can't have too much cold cranking amps for our bikes.. The shorai has good reviews but I and several others had to send the failed 14 amp back for warranty although I haven't heard anything bad about ballistic,
so far so good with the shorai 18 amp one at least.

Back