anyone familiar with "on demand" dvd viewing?

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok here is what is up.. I have maybe 400 movies? I would love to put them to hard drive and setup an "on demand" that could service a few tv's via regular coaxial cable connections so I could house the PC/HDDs remotely..

is this even possible? or is there a STB that might work? I know a long shot..

hmmmm kinda maybe I dunno
TVersity - Home
is a free media server you run on the PC and you can server up movie, music, photos etc

MythTV, Open Source DVR
does a TiVo thing I think

not sure if that is what you seek. ANYTHING is always possible depending on price :)

PERSONALLY, rather than the whole coax network on demand thing, I would pursue PCs at the TVs simply because I think that would be cheaper and have more flexibility than a routed coax system with back end channel driver hardware and such

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
might be the best forum on the net to answer your question

Last edited:
hmmmm kinda maybe I dunno
TVersity - Home
is a free media server you run on the PC and you can server up movie, music, photos etc

MythTV, Open Source DVR
does a TiVo thing I think

not sure if that is what you seek. ANYTHING is always possible depending on price :)

PERSONALLY, rather than the whole coax network on demand thing, I would pursue PCs at the TVs simply because I think that would be cheaper and have more flexibility than a routed coax system with back end channel driver hardware and such

AVS Forum
might be the best forum on the net to answer your question
Going to take me some time to go through this list dang it man, you already working on this stuff yourself? I like the linux based MtyhTV already..

I already have all the coax/network wiring in place so not too big a deal there.. it was the marriage of both and making it so patients could navigate the system easily and still have adequate bandwidth to pull it all off...

I will update as I learn more about all the above Thx :)

This was what the whole Microsoft Entertainment Center Edition was supposed to be for. :rofl:

I went so far as running S-video cable (20 feet) to my tv from my MCE PC and then also ran coax (older video capture device) back to it so I could dump movies straight off my DVR to my hard drive for burning/storage etc. They do make wireless routers just for this now. All you would need to do is dump all your movies onto External hard drive(s) (assuming you dont want em all on your primary) and voila. Something like this would do it.

Is that what you were after?

This was what the whole Microsoft Entertainment Center Edition was supposed to be for. :rofl:

I went so far as running S-video cable (20 feet) to my tv from my MCE PC and then also ran coax (older video capture device) back to it so I could dump movies straight off my DVR to my hard drive for burning/storage etc. They do make wireless routers just for this now. All you would need to do is dump all your movies onto External hard drive(s) (assuming you dont want em all on your primary) and voila. Something like this would do it.

Is that what you were after?
am distributing the movies over about 8 TV's.. Media player will work if I put a computer in every room.. was sort of trying to get away from that due to the clutter.. If I could distribute to each room remotely, it would make my job a lot more easy..

Going to take me some time to go through this list dang it man, you already working on this stuff yourself?

I'm tinkering with the server based stuff: TVersity from PC to PS3, and direct to Plasma that has built in media viewer, but am not building a Home Theater PC yet. So, I;ve had my eyes in the stuff for a while, but not enough to act on it.

Sounds like you want a STB so 8 people can watch 8 different movies on 8 TVs right all at same time? Gotta be something out there for that. But most things are pointing to HTPCs these days.it should be easy to make one PC brodcast to your own internal "Cable" network, but mutilple channels of movie choices is much more advanced. That's why I stick with TVersity. :) It might bordcast to your mobile phone over the internet also. How nerdy is THAT?

Last edited:
I'm tinkering with the server based stuff: TVersity from PC to PS3, and direct to Plasma that has built in media viewer, but am not building a Home Theater PC yet. So, I;ve had my eyes in the stuff for a while, but not enough to act on it.

Sounds like you want a STB so 8 people can watch 8 different movies on 8 TVs right all at same time? Gotta be something out there for that. But most things are pointing to HTPCs these days.it should be easy to make one PC brodcast to your own internal "Cable" network, but mutilple channels of movie choices is much more advanced. That's why I stick with TVersity. :) It might bordcast to your mobile phone over the internet also. How nerdy is THAT?
watching movies on a 1 or 2" screen? nerdy... very.. :rofl: but yes you have the concept of what I want to try..

Back