anybody have backfiring problems with an airshifte

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
****title should be air or electric shifter *****

I have talked to a few guys and they are saying its pretty normal at high rpm's. I thought I would ask hereand get a legitimate answer and reason. It doesnt happen at lower rpms with the shifter only after 6-7,000 rpms. It doesnt do it at all foot shifting. I know it has something to do with killing the engine between shifts, like its loading up. A few guys that I ride with said its normal.....happens all the time at the strip. I ask them that if its that normal of a thing, wouldnt the guys running Nos with an airshifter be freaking? I know you guys will steer me right.

2003 hayabusa...15k miles....pair valve removed...full muzzy exhaust...small airbox mod...k&n air filter....usb pcIII...pingle electric shifter with kill box..do ya need any other info?

I have played with the milliseconds on the kill box...does it across the board..I have also changed the map back and forth.....I did add new iridium plugs gapped at .029......Can ya help?

I was going to steer you toward the killbox, oh well
all_coholic.gif

Is weird...doesnt do it all the time at high rpms.....I know it's time to synch the tb's and valve clearance check..

The kill box is only stopping the spark. The ECU is still putting fuel in there. On the next stroke unburnt fuel is sent to the exhaust where it is lit after the kill is over. Shortening up the kill time reduces it some, but you still need enough time to make the shift cleanly.

I’m cutting the fuel on mine, so I don’t get the pop during the shift. I don’t know if it is better of different, most kill the spark.

I have the pingle electric shifter and have not had this problem! I loaded the quick shifter program in to my PC and use the blue wire in the harness that would go to the kill box if I had one to trigger the quick shifter function of the PC3USB (also have the ignition commander hooked up as well) No pops sputters or backfires!
I have heard that the Fi light comes on with the kill box? Has this happened to you? With my set up I get no Fi light comming on when I use the electric shifter!

(05BusaLe @ Apr. 25 2007,19:08) I have the pingle electric shifter and have not had this problem! I loaded the quick shifter program in to my PC and use the blue wire in the harness that would go to the kill box if I had one to trigger the quick shifter function of the PC3USB (also have the ignition commander hooked up as well) No pops sputters or backfires!
I have heard that the Fi light comes on with the kill box? Has this happened to you? With my set up I get no Fi light comming on when I use the electric shifter!
I'm getting an FI light with mine... at 50ms kill I believe. I have not tried to turn it down just yet. No pops or backfires at all. The A/F does go lean on the logger when it happens. Works good so far, but I want to tune on it a bit more.

How are you connecting the blue wire to the PC.. are you using a relay to close the two wires going to the PC? I haven't looked at what the two wires are doing inside the pc yet.

I'm going to install a pressure switch on my air system. What this should do is allow it to pressure the ram and then once it reaches the desired pressure, fire the kill circuit. I hope to reduce the kill time this way.

Back