Air, Electric & combo shifters

PORT

Registered
I want to purchase a shifter to use when I feel like doing some rollons, but shift normal(hand clutch/foot shift) during daily rides. What are the advantages & disadvantages of each kit?
Pingle sells
1. All electric shifter, most expensive $799
2. Air Shifter
3. Electric over air shifter
               Thanks

I don't think I'll ever get done with this bike

Go with the MPS auto air shifter and be sure to get the optional horn/shift toggle switch and the on-board air compressor. The tank will fit nicely in the hump, is easily filled by unlocking the hump and can be disconnected for normal 2up riding.
Electric shifters become unreliable faster, and cost more to fix if they break. With the MPS kit you should get the 10K RPM auto shift modules and use the 10800 RPM module from that kit. Perfect redline shift every time so far...

USED THE PINGEL ELECTRIC OVER AIR KIT WITH ENGINE KILL AND A MPS ONBOARD COMPRESSOR GET THE WIRING HARNESS ALSO EASY INSTALL WORKS GREAT

All eletric are gimmicky, stay away from them.

MPS makes a good selection. THe only question you should have is whether you want C-02 or compressed air. DOn't put the tank in the hump, put it on the RH side of the tail instead.

I have the MPS auto shifter. This is a great kit. Fairly easy to install. I only problem i had was it kept blowing out the plastic hose.

Does the on board compressor fill the bottle with regular air, so there is no need to fill the bottle with Co2 or Nitrous? or is the compressor there to do something else?

I have the compressor type. No problems, and I like it. No need to go and refill bottles. People say that the C02 types last a long time on one bottle, but you still have to have it refilled every so often. More so if you have a small leak. I do, and damned if I can find it. Sprayed soapy water on everything and found nothing. Not a big deal for me, I just run the compressor on the way to the track and when riding up the return road.

I went to MPS site as you recommended, but the write up says they sell everything in the kit, except the bracketry for the shifter? What did you do?

I went to MPS site as you recommended, but the write up says they sell everything in the kit, except the bracketry for the shifter? What did you do?
Give Joe Hahn a call at Orient Express,he has the whole shebang including onboard compressor,I'll post up pics of mine within a couple of days.NJ.

I ran a 1/4 drill bit into the hollow motormount bolt, just above the shifter and tapped it for a 5/16-18 bolt. Then I drilled the shift lever for the clevis. Commonly done way. They make brackets to go behind your peg, but they will not work with stock exhaust.

As far as compressors go, buy a Wal-mart one and take the plastic case off of it. That is what everyone else does, and they work great. Easy to get replacements, too.

Don't buy the MPS (or other shifter companies) compressors for $50 that is all they do (take off the plastic)

If you have any installation questions, I will be glad to help. I did mine myself and it took me forever, but I could do one now in a couple hours. I am really picky about hiding the wiring and making it look factory:blush:

ls,your switching valve (solinoid) may have a leak,spray a little soapy water in the exhast port,it is a good idea to release the pressure from the system when not in use,there is a bleed on the solinoid

spencer cycle makes a nice aluminum bracket for the shifter

IM000712.jpg

Back