Anybody else own a 270 WSM

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
I recently acquired a Remington Model Seven chambered in 270 WSM. Was one of my Christmas presents, see pic below. I love this round but will admit I'm still learning about it. The killer is the price of ammo, $50 for 20 rounds is a bit pricey and I'm under way of setting up my reloading bench. I was pleasantly surprised the first couple times I shot it as recoil is not near what I thought it was going to be. Can't wait to get it out and do some long distance shots with it.

I was curious if anyone else does any loading for this monster and if so if they have a good outlet where I can buy brass or ammo at a reasonable price.

IMG_1043 trimmed.jpg

Beautiful stock. Looks light, is it? A friend years ago was boar hunting and after his friend hit a 270 pounder with four .44 mag rounds from an 8" wheelgun, with less than favorable results, he managed a single well placed hit that brought it down immediately. Can't recall what ammo he used.

Nice rifle by the way!:beerchug:

Thanks, I really like it. Glass is a 6x18 Nikon, fluted barrel and not too long or heavy. About the only thing I can use if for in my area is to hunt Coyote, groundhog etc. or targets. Bit over kill for hunting what I can hunt with it but it shoots fast and flat and hits hard, perfect for those long range shots.

I had checked Midway earlier but hadn't checked all of their products, they currently have Remington brass on clearance at the best price I have found yet, $224.73 for 500. Thanks for encouraging me to look again :thumbsup:

Thanks, I really like it. Glass is a 6x18 Nikon, fluted barrel and not too long or heavy. About the only thing I can use if for in my area is to hunt Coyote, groundhog etc. or targets. Bit over kill for hunting what I can hunt with it but it shoots fast and flat and hits hard, perfect for those long range shots.

I had checked Midway earlier but hadn't checked all of their products, they currently have Remington brass on clearance at the best price I have found yet, $224.73 for 500. Thanks for encouraging me to look again :thumbsup:

With the current demand on all reloading supplies the prices are only going to go up. My best friend owns a gun store and their dealer prices are now higher than retail prices were 6 months ago. Also companies are only guaranteeing their prices on a day by day basis and some are changing daily.

Overkill?? Can you kill it too dead??:laugh: I just traded my 7 mag for a 300 win mag. Our average deer size in Bama is 150# for bucks.

Beautiful stock. Looks light, is it? A friend years ago was boar hunting and after his friend hit a 270 pounder with four .44 mag rounds from an 8" wheelgun, with less than favorable results, he managed a single well placed hit that brought it down immediately. Can't recall what ammo he used.

7lb 3/8 oz without scope, 22 inch barrel, nice and compact. I'll change the stock out to a black synthetic if I plan to hunt with it. The picture doesn't do the wood justice, that was what really sold me on it.

With the current demand on all reloading supplies the prices are only going to go up. My best friend owns a gun store and their dealer prices are now higher than retail prices were 6 months ago. Also companies are only guaranteeing their prices on a day by day basis and some are changing daily.

Overkill?? Can you kill it too dead??:laugh: I just traded my 7 mag for a 300 win mag. Our average deer size in Bama is 150# for bucks.

I agree, all ammo prices have skyrocketed and I don't look for it to get any better. I won't load anything that I use for work but for something such as this I'll get a more accurate and better load if I do it myself plus I enjoy loading as it's a good stress relief.

They also make the short mags in 7mm wsm and 300 wsm. I've been impressed with them. From what I have read they are supposed to be more accurate with less recoil due to the case design. Also I can't say enough good about the Nikon scopes. Thing I really love is they have a 1/8" MOA at 100yds vs 1/4" and are as crisp and clear as a Leupold. The side focus is also great as it will be accurate to within about 10 yards once you adjust the parallax out of it.

Back