Any RN's out there?

I wonder if there are programs that pay for your schooling and you work under them under contract for a year or so...Also can you become a rn in 2 years? Ive been wanting to be a nurse for quite sone time...Im 28, its time to start a career!

If you have your prerequisites completed, as well as your undergraduate requirements, it'll be 2 years. Otherwise, you're looking at 3 years if you're starting from scratch. And that's at a full time load 16 units coursework/semester.

Thanks for the good wishes guys. I'm starting to think more and more that this the direction I want to go in. I know I want something in medical, I was just lookin on that burou of labor statistics page and something else I might be interested in is Anesthesiology. I'll have to look into that as well. I don't know what all is involved in that. Probably a lot more schooling and things like that, so I don't know. But I'll figure it out. I'm also gonna have to figure out how I can go back to school and still make enough money during school to keep the busa, cause I'm not sellin it!

I believe there's quite a bit more schooling involved. It's almost like an MD. I remember the Anesthesiologist that administered my wife's epidural when she was giving birth to our daughter was SUPER SMART and Super informative as to what he was administering. He was even teaching all the RN's a thing or two about the contraindications and dimensional analysis of what he's injecting. :bowdown:

I just read the BLM stats. seems like the local hospitals near me are right in-line with the reports with what starting pay is and what my aunt is currently making. Another thing to consider is to get a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing after completing ADN/RN school, working for a while, then doing the RN to BSN transition. You'll have many more career/salary opportunities open right up.

Also, Nurse Practitioners make VERY GOOD salaries. You can even open your own practice and treat patients like a regular MD would. expect at least 6 digit figures and a higher work/stress load. But the benefits of helping people and having your own practice far outweigh the cons. I plan going the NP route eventually.
:agree: on NP.. We have an NP that "fills" in for the Doc when he is not around and she works about 2 days a week at $40,000 per year.. Location is everything in pay rates.. our RN's start at $25 an hour..

Hats off to everyone in that field of work.. requires a lot of work to be good at it and how you deal with all you do? wow... I could not do it.. seems pretty stressful at times to me..

I believe there's quite a bit more schooling involved. It's almost like an MD. I remember the Anesthesiologist that administered my wife's epidural when she was giving birth to our daughter was SUPER SMART and Super informative as to what he was administering. He was even teaching all the RN's a thing or two about the contraindications and dimensional analysis of what he's injecting. :bowdown:

That's what I'm thinking. But I'll find out for sure just how much school is involved. Maybe once I get the RN under my belt I can take the other courses while I work. As I said, at the moment I'm pretty much throwing ideas around and brain storming and just trying to get information. I know this is the direction I'm going to go, I just don't know EXACTLY what I'm going to do yet.

I asked my dad about the anesthesiology thing and you were right. It is an MD. College the medical school then anesthesiology. So it's about 12 years or so of schooling, so that's out. But I can still be a nurse anesthatist which would be RN, then a certain amount of work experience then some more courses to "upgrade" to nurse anesthatist. So from what I'm finding out I'll probably go the RN route and get that, then get some experience and see where I want to go after that.

I'm a RN. I work as an Emergency Room RN and in a CCU or Critical Care ICU. If anyone has any questions send me a PM and I will try and answer them or provide insight as best as possible.

Hey im in the halfway through my RN school i took this semester off i have 1 year from jan so sweet but also the pay grades are also based on what hours your work so at my hospital working 7am to 3pm you get your base pay grade, working 3pm to 11pm you get another 10 percent, 11pm to 7am 20 percent on top of your base pay grade extra 8 percent working weekends, 15 percent on holidays, if they call me and ask me to come in cause they're short i get an automatic hour added onto my pay and the whole time im working that shift i get overtime pay whether i have 40 hours that week or 8 and if im already in over time its double pay, plus an extra 60 bucks for each shift i pick up over 72 hours in 2 weeks so potential for baller cash even at my pay grade cause im basically working as a cna and fill in secretary cause i work over nights and making more than most people do. Plus one of my friends who graduated started working at another hospital and they basically said that because he's a male that they started him out making more i think 5 bucks an hour more than what they usually start new grads. But being a guy your will work much harder cause when people need help lifting and moving your the first that they call. If you do the RN program the RN to BSN program for me is a part time program meaning instead of going to class 3 days a week for 8 hours you go 3 days at 4 hours, the pay difference between RN and BSN is very little at best but what it does is if you want to go pursue a career in nursing it will help you to already have the school with you and some hospitals require you to have 1 person with a BSN on the floor at all times.

And like they said there are tons of hot women here, the er at the last few hopitals i've been at has the hot ones plus the freaky girls work the overnights btw. If you have any questions i can help you with them let me know

I asked my dad about the anesthesiology thing and you were right. It is an MD. College the medical school then anesthesiology. So it's about 12 years or so of schooling, so that's out. But I can still be a nurse anesthatist which would be RN, then a certain amount of work experience then some more courses to "upgrade" to nurse anesthatist. So from what I'm finding out I'll probably go the RN route and get that, then get some experience and see where I want to go after that.

I think what people are talking about is a nurse anethetist its called a CRNA degree its a masters degree you have to have 2 years of cardiac intensicve care and you BSN degree before you can apply to the program and i think the average pay is around my area 120k - 180k in my area acording to one of the job sights i was on. My aunt is one up in the chicago subs and she i think gets 15 and hour for being on call and is on call 24/7 and 150 and hour from the time she need's to come into work to the time she clocks out

Yeah, being an RN seems like a rewarding job field. My Wife is a Pharmacist and I am begining Dental School next year:thumbsup: We will be in a lot of debt by time I am finish, but there is job security that is parallel to no other in the medical professions. I think as long as you have the personality to deal with people, you will be ok. Do not do it just for the money though, because you may regret it at some point. You should go to a hospital and watch the nurses and see what they do for about 4 hours or so a week to make sure that you would want to do that for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Yeah, being an RN seems like a rewarding job field. My Wife is a Pharmacist and I am begining Dental School next year:thumbsup: We will be in a lot of debt by time I am finish, but there is job security that is parallel to no other in the medical professions. I think as long as you have the personality to deal with people, you will be ok. Do not do it just for the money though, because you may regret it at some point. You should go to a hospital and watch the nurses and see what they do for about 4 hours or so a week to make sure that you would want to do that for the rest of your life.
Boy aint that the truth... no occupation should be hit for the $$ you can make... pick what you love and figure out how to make $$..

Our RN has duties that are way removed from the hostpital environment.. We do IVIG (auto immune deficency) treatments and so mostly IV starts, monitoring and paperwork... no poop/barf/wound care... Plenty of ports/needles and mixing however :)

how long until you finish your schooling?

Dentist is definitely a good proffession. My dad is a retired dentist and is teaching in the dental hygenist program at the school I'd be going to for nursing. I'm also not just doing it for the money. I've been thinking about a career in medical for quite a while now and nursing always seems to come back as something I think I would like to do. The money and the women are just added bonuses!:thumbsup:

if you want to help people nurse is the way to go your the patients advocate. if you don't think the doc is right you have every right to question it. they're usually right but it's fun to mess with the guys that are new. nicu is fun being 300lbs and working on a kid that 400 grams is fun, much smaller than 1 of my hands. the idea of becoming a nurse is better than all others thats why i went from a rrt to a rn there are MANY more opportunities and responsibilities.

Boy aint that the truth... no occupation should be hit for the $$ you can make... pick what you love and figure out how to make $$..

Our RN has duties that are way removed from the hostpital environment.. We do IVIG (auto immune deficency) treatments and so mostly IV starts, monitoring and paperwork... no poop/barf/wound care... Plenty of ports/needles and mixing however :)

how long until you finish your schooling?

at my hospital depending on the shift you work as a nurse you could be doing all the work cause our icu, pcu, imscu, ccc, cvu or snu have no overnight techs unless its slammed or they're short nurses. im still the pct playing with the poop n barf and everything not so nice so don't think that your always gonna be able to get out of it don't be expect to do it everyonce in a while but by the time your finished with the first few semesters in school it won't even phase you

Back