NEED HELP!! I have to write a proposal to my VP outlining why I deserve a raise..ugh

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
My boss, Vice President, in which I friendly call Satan :devil: (hubby calls prison beotch) had a rather heated discussion this morning regarding the annual evaluation/raise process that has not happened (other shid hit the fan but the main festering elephant in the room was salary).

His suggestion is that I work up a proposal highlighting what exactly I have done for the company (him) and schedule a meeting with him to discuss "said raise".

Some information that might prove helpful is the following:

• Websites that help me put what I want to say in "nice" professional wording.
  • Salary negotiation tactics
  • Is there anything that I should NOT bring up?
  • How do I find out market salary for my position in my actual city? The national market salary makes mine look laughable, so asking for that big of a raise would be ridiculous.
  • I am a contract negotiator so would it be better to list out percentages of contracts "obtained" in a certain geographic area, or try to make pretty graphs from a spreadsheet?

ANY and ALL help is appreciated! Let me know if there is something that I should include that I have not thought of.

I would like to schedule "The Meeting" for late Friday Afternoon as it tends to cut down on conflicts...hee hee.:laugh:

I am so down, bummed, and depressed about the beat down I took at work today.
This proposal is not to say I do not have a current resume out there. :whistle:

Re: NEED HELP!! I have to write a proposal to my VP outlining why I deserve a raise.

I actually just took a class from phoenix online about business communication. I will look up some of the readings and pass them on to you if there is anything about raises.... Yeah I didnt read all of the reading but pulled a 95% lol... Best of luck and hope I can help!

Re: NEED HELP!! I have to write a proposal to my VP outlining why I deserve a raise.

Graphs make presentations 47% more effective (not sure how they got that number but I would say go with a graph... If you need help pm me the numbers and I will build one for you. I would show the national salary and be like you are getting a steal with me working for these prices. Let him know that there are other options out there for more but dont make it sound like an altimatium is possible.

Come on I know a lot of you all have nice jobs and probably have some good advice... It sounds like she should get a rais just for dealing with this guy!

Thanks so much Nick! What makes me is a humongous DONKEY about all of this is that I have passed up jobs to stay out of some sick sense of loyalty to this azzhat.

Bob or 99Busa could chime in and tell stories of this guy from when I used to have access to the .org at work!

Kristin,
Do you have a specific list of your job duties (Job Description)as outlined by the company? If you do you can use these as bullet poiints to build your case. You may also look at each one & consider what you have not done that he may use against you (Devil's Advocate) Has your position, & or department helped or hurt the overall goals of the company over the past year? What individual tasks / projects have you been given & the results of those. Did you get them done on time, early, or not at all. Who have you helped to develop or mentor in your department? What ideas have you had to improve productivity, moral, efficiency, etc? Just stick w/ facts & don't let your emotions come into play no matter how much you hate him. Take it out on his wallet w/ a good raise.

Above all else, you have to make a case. If you are a contract negotiator, you already have the skills. Dont attack him or the company, he wont care that you passed up other jobs to stay with him, and if things are already heated, he may offer that you take one of those opportunities. You have to sell yourself. "What have you done for me lately?" Show the work you have produced, meeting timelines and budgets are always a must, do you consistantly meets the goals that are set for you? Labor is surplus right now, and good jobs are a premium. What is reasonable to you? Start at a reasonable amount, say 8% and leave room to negotiate down. You will not be able to start too high, or his ears will close and his eyes will glaze over, no matter how proficient you are at your job. How many hours do you put in? Any work happen after hours for which you are not compensated? When was the last time you had a merit increase? All these things come into play. Hope that helps in some way. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Thanks for all the advice. I do have a job description with bullet points. I have also been one of his top contract "getters" since I have been there. He hired me cheap, out of 8 employees I make the least. I am on salary $4500.00 a year less than the others, more experienced than most, out peform most.

I do have to say that when I took the job I was in a very bad place and I did not negotiate with him. I had other priorities which required me to get a job like yesterday so I took this one and was like "just give me the offer letter; Thanks."

I really wish companies still cared about loyalty like they used too!

Time to freshen up the resume. He either doesn't know enough about what you do or appreciate what you do enough to reward you with a raise. Save the time an energy selling yourself to you current boss for preparing and selling yourself to a new employer. And if they come back with a counter offer once you have a new position, it's too late for them. Nothing that you don't like about your current boss will change with more money.

Time to freshen up the resume. He either doesn't know enough about what you do or appreciate what you do enough to reward you with a raise. Save the time an energy selling yourself to you current boss for preparing and selling yourself to a new employer. And if they come back with a counter offer once you have a new position, it's too late for them. Nothing that you don't like about your current boss will change with more money.

Truer words have not been spoken. Well accept maybe in a fortune cookie. hee hee :laugh:

If he is married maybe some pics of him with another woman could work wonders :whistle:

Black mail is a legitimate way of getting raises an promotions:whistle: How do you think politicians work.:laugh:

I wish! They have a really messed up relationship! Now she might sleep with me so that I could use those pics to make him mad?? Let's just not go into how that would actually work in my favor. ;) :rofl: :rofl: Although I have never ventured into the girl on girl thing; everyone has their price. KIDDING HONEY!!! Oh what am I saying, my hubby would just want the pics.....again kidding. :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, back to the nice thread about work.

Stick to facts, not opinions. My boss is the same way and the only thing I found that worked was pointing out what value I added to the company in terms of reduced expenses or increased profit. In your situation I would answer the following question. How has each contract benefited the company? What does the company gain from you that no one else can or will offer? Bottom line, why do you deserve it? Here's a site that might also help with the salary comparison...

Job Salaries-Performance Reviews-Compensation software- Salary.com

Good luck! Let us know how things go! :beerchug:

Cause "Stone Cold said so":laugh: I can only offer a bit of humor, not very "buisenessy"

At the appointed time, walk into his office, sit down, lay a loaded 45 on the desk in front of you and say " I'm here to negotiate the raise"
Done.........

Percentages, percentages percentages kristin...they LIVE by the numbers...

1. Be detailed as to what percentage of growth or income to the company your efforts as a solid employee have contributed to.

2. Be detailed as to what percentage of SAVINGS your actions have contributed to.

3. Be detailed as to what the raise will ENSURE in outgoing years from your performance.

4. Disarm him...set the tone and use the SAME wit, charm, savvy and drive that makes you a success in acquiring your contracts, smile alot (in spite of him) take it as a game, simply put tell him..

You know I spend countless hours securing over X amount of income for this company, I think it's pretty neat that now I get to negotiate WITH you instead of FOR you.

BE the devils advocate, be ready to respond in advance with anything he COULD say about your points and achievements...example.

Within the last 2 quarters, I have seecured X amount of X, now I know you MIGHT say, yeah Kristin but that was related to an exisitng follow on that realistically shouldnt be attirbued to your efforts, but to that I would say, not necessarily, because it is JUST as important to MAINTAIN that steady contract stream, which is why I say my actions such as X, X and X have managed to KEEP the revenue stream...(you follow me?)blah blah blah..

DO NOT get flustered, frustrated, twitchy, antagonized or ruffled...dominate the conversation and SHOW him WHY he benefits and the company benefits by giving you what you feel is "modest" but certainly tripled in effort and reward to the company in the long run...

If that doesnt work...double tap point blank to the head:laugh::laugh:

DO NOT comment to others on HOW you did or WHAT you think after it, remain jovial and optimistic, for sure the spies will be about trying to ascertain for him what your next move will be...if you hold your head high in spite of it, he MAY change his mind...you never know, he may be turning you down just to see how you deal with the adversity...

Nothing comes...quietly get another gig, you're worth more than that anyways....

Good luck and for gods sakes, lets be carefull out there:laugh::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lots of good advice here! Good luck with your meeting ... don't let the asshat get the better of you. Hold your head high and remember - you are worth it, you just have to show him what you are made of - and - that you are the better person. :cheerleader:

I'll be brutally honest here. This is not the right economic climate to be asking for a raise.

Here is the tactic I would take. Admit to your boss that the economy isn't in the best condition right now. Explain that, in order to be a team player, you're not going to ask for a raise this year. Those funds could be better used elsewhere to help the company weather the storm. Then next year bring this up, remind him how you put the company first, and ask for more than you would have this year to make up the difference.

it all comes down to if he wants to (feels like) giving you a raise. Making you jump through hoops tells me he doesn't value you as an asset to the department/company. I hope you can pull it off. I would take the time to polish the resume and use the analysis to better present yourself for new opportunities.

Back