Manufacturers may propose a racing series in US

Suzuki's Mel Harris's view;

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Harris says. "I see a foundation or a platform (between the manufacturers and DMG) coming closer. But we need to see the complete DMG package before you can make a good, strong decision. "I think that we here at Suzuki would feel comfortable about that (running a World Superbike-spec class in the United States)," Harris says. "It makes the bikes the same spec, the same rules, around the world. The establishment of a common Superbike-spec would mean that manufacturers could start to look at ways of cutting the costs of Superbikes worldwide, rather than trying to create cost-savings within a patchwork quilt of national and international regulations.
[/quote]

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33119

Kawasaki's Bruce Stjernstrom's view;

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
As far as Kawasaki is concerned, the proposal to go to World Superbike specs for the headlining U.S. class may give the manufacturer a place to do what it wants to do in racing "“ develop its motorcycles.[/quote]

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33120

Now THIS IS WHAT I LIKE!! If these rumors are true, DMG may actually get it right this time!

I like the fact that Daytona Superbike can be a stepping stone for the 2010 MotoGP 600cc 4 stroke class. And "Factory Superbike" can help riders get rides with WSBK.

As long as they have Factory Superbike, Daytona Superbike as co-headliners, along with Red Bull Rookies Cup on the side, I really don't mind seeing MotoST on the schedule.

If the OEM's and DMG get it right, I think AMA Superbike will be BETTER THAN EVER!
clap.gif

Let's just hope and pray that this is what they'll end up doing. The future of the series is on the line.

It sounds like the best solution is to have 2 classes(1000 and 600) as Factory classes that use a format the manufacturers want(and most fans). Riders don't get purses but are paid salaries by the manufacturers.

And another 2 classes(1000 and 600) as Daytona Spec classes where DMG gets their close racing format. Riders is this class are awarded purses from DMG and paid by sponsored teams.

I think this would be the way to go and see what sells better. The "best on the best" or "close racing".

But at least this way everyone gets a peice of what they want.

lurk.gif

This IS THE 2 WHEELED VERSION OF CART VS. IRL! ROFLMAO!!

It's interesting that DMG is softening their stance a little bit. I do like the idea of Daytona 600's and American Superbike co-headlining. But I would love to see the Big Superbikes do doubleheaders in 1 day as opposed to 2 days, more inline with WSBK
That argument hurt both racing bodies.. to many egos, and not enough input by the real racers... hope the bike racing does not see this split...

I really do not know either side of the arguments myself but trust that you guys do... Good luck and I hope the best thing for bike racing happens..

As I was reading this I couldn't help but think what future ramifications this might create with the proposed DMG series? If the Auto makers start to scale back their NASCAR efforts (it appears as though they are) DMG will have no choice but to attempt to Generate revenue (gotta take care of the stakeholders) through other means. Perhaps this is a double edged sword but now more than ever they should be looking at creating as viable a sporting entity as possible in the AMA arena. I have read that they (DMG) are now to the point of softening (or perhaps rationalizing) their stance and creating a "Factory Superbike" class based on the FIM reg's (which IMO is what they should have done all along). Either way damage has been done and by now most of the top AMA guys have feelers out in the world arena so while we may not have the Spies, Mladin, Zemke, Hayes, Hacking level of talent left here this might be salvageable after all. It's the fourth of July and as an American I am ever optimistic!

With the economy is this bad of shape, not a good idea to have 2 split series...

Well Honda doesn't seem to like the new idea...

American Honda Senior Vice-President Ray Blank stated, "Looking at the current state of affairs and how much needs to be accomplished, and the current status of teams, promoters, plans, contracts and budgets, I think we need to take a new tack."

"My concept requires that we move World Superbike rules and regs down a notch to allow a wider field and some economies. I think all concerned would like that. Then, hopefully, British Superbike and Japanese Superbike adopt these. Then we have our global rule platform. How long will it take to get this agreement with the alphabet soup of organizations (WSB, MSMA, FIM, etc.)? Longer than we can draw out this thing for the parties above."

Blank's solution is this: "Propose that 2009 stays unchanged. Use now thru next year to accomplish the new concept global program. Get everyone on the same page. We need to do this right."[/quote]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jul/080707ah.htm

Back