Suzuki to possibly pull the plug on AMA racing

gtrpimp76

S.Q.U.I.D. Extraordinaire
Donating Member
Registered
All speculation and proposals so far. NOTHING IN STONE AS OF YET! But I knew/had a feeling the AMA/DMG deal was a BAD IDEA! Letting NASCAR run bike racing....hmmmm....

DMG 2009 rule proposals to Japanese OEM Manufacturers.

The 600cc "Superbike" Class is a little vague. Are they making it "THE" Superbike class or running 2 superbike classes: 1000cc and 600cc? Also adding the Moto-ST class (run by NASCAR already) with spec fuel and spec tires. It seems to me they are trying to "better" the show by dumbing down the advanced bike technology.

wow. talk about mixed emotions on this one....

on one hand, bike racing is not known near as well as it deserves to be and the power of nascar funding and experience could help boost things on every level....

on the other hand, bike racing getting neutered for the viewing public is not good for it's true fans

SOMEONE needs to recreate Open Style Racing where groups can build the BEST they can with NO limits or restrictions. THAT would be like old school racing and get an instant fan base. You'd have true heros and amazing gear!

Well here it goes down the tubes! Now it will have the same hype as Pro wrestling! What a bunch of hoopla $$ makin crap!
lurk.gif

Won't be worth watching once Spies and Mladin leave anyway! Most likely will become a haven for the washed up has beens from WSB, BSB and MotoGp.

I think at this point Suzuki's threats are just a way to get compromises that they want.

AMA racing definitely needs some changing though.

I most definitely agree that the AMA needs a major overhaul. That's why they sold all of there ownership/marketing rights to DMG/Nascar. The original deal was to have the AMA technical proposals still in place without having DMG interfere with that. DMG was supposed deal with the sponsorship, marketing, TV advertising, etc.

The AMA 09 rules were going to have the Superbike class more homolagated to the OEM machines. Rid of the Superstock class and make the Superbike the "premier" class. I think Formula Xtreme and Supersport were going to still be a part of the classes as "feeder support classes" for Superbike. Now, it seems DMG wants to take things further by making a 600 Superbike class (now, bear in mind that on the club racing level, there are 600 Superbike classes), instill Moto-ST, and maybe rid of the 1000's? That's why some, if not all of the manufacturers are up in arms about it b/c so much time and money has been invested into the liter bike class and it's still the world standard, a la British Superbike and World Superbike. To change that format and make it "less worldly/more American" may turn off a lot of the core fans and some of the riders who had MotoGP aspirations. GP teams don't look at a "support" format like a 600 class. They look at the 250's and Superbike (although the latter is becoming less and less). I'm very interested to see what the developments will be in the coming months. Will Zuk be the only team that bails and just focuses on the world stage or do ALL of the factory team follow suit and do the same. American Moto Racing is definitely on the brink and I've never felt more in doubt about it now compared to recent years.

I can't believe they would drop 1000s all together.

If they did, I bet all 4 manufacturers would bail.

That's what I'm sayin too. With all the major manufacturers gone, the fans may just as well leave too.

Ducati is already gone, Suzuki threatening man its a dark time in the AMA! All the more reason for me to want to go to Miller for the WSB/AMA weekend. I have been beating up the wife to do this trip but we just have too many "family commitments" this year.

Lost for words....Pro's and con's either way you look at it! It would take a miracle for them to get it right. I use to watch Nascar when it was the Winston cup, before the car of tommorrow. Now, I only watch the last 5 laps of any race if I come accross it on the TV! Other then that they lost a fan. And you all are right in saying that motorcycling (Racing) itself doesn't get alot of attention here in the states like it does in Europe!!! I Motogp, WSB, and the TT.....when they do show it here!

There is a whole series of articles on Superbike planet about the DMG/AMA VS the big Four Manufacturers today. Not a fun read at all. It sounds like DMG want to promote MotoST and "600 Daytona Superbike" (AKA FX) and wants nothing to do with liter bikes! They even want to do away with 600 Supersport! Those are without fail some of the most entertaining races you will ever see and Roger Edmundson and his croneys want to pull the plug? They are talking Spec fuels and tires even though all of the majors have signeded contracts with Dunlop through 09. It sounds as if Mel Harris was the only one who treated them accordingly and showed them the door! Granted I don't have all the facts yet but it certainly looks like the end of the AMA series as we know it. This SUCKS!
thumb_down.gif

If DMG does this 600Superbike and motoST 75hp, 90hp and 120hp as the class structure, then US Superbike will lose all creditbility. The rest of the world rides 1000s and if we only race 600s, no one will think our riders are any good.

What will happen?

There will be less fans at the track.
Any good rider who wants to be recognized as the best will move to Europe.

This could be really bad...
sad.gif

What these retards don't get is 2 things;

1)Would NASCAR be successful if the cars were 4 cylinder 3 liter engines??  HECK no!!!  No redneck is going to waste his time watching a 3 liter engine JUST like no motorcycle fan is going to show up for a 600 superbike as the top class.

2)Are any cars remotely like a NASCAR??  HECK no!! But today's motorcycles are VERY similiar to the race bikes compared to a NASCAR and a ford taurus...

Maybe the Canadian Superbike series will become the dominant racing series in North America? I watched some good races in Port Coqitlam (Westwood?) back in the 90's so it can't be all that bad now can it?

And when the heck did I buy an
'06 hayabusa
'00 zx9r ninja
'05 dodge magnum

And Move to North Alabama?

The site is on the fritz today.

I saw all of this writing on the wall when this was announced.

In my opinion NASCAR castrated stock car racing by aiming to increase'lead changes' rather than letting dominant machines be what they were designed to be, dominant.

My prediction for a future rule change:
"make the Suzuki teams bolt half a sheet of plywood to the front of the bike to catch wind and slow them down so that we have more lead changes".

What these retards don't get is 2 things;

1)Would NASCAR be successful if the cars were 4 cylinder 3 liter engines??  HECK no!!!  No redneck is going to waste his time watching a 3 liter engine JUST like no motorcycle fan is going to show up for a 600 superbike as the top class.

2)Are any cars remotely like a NASCAR??  HECK no!! But today's motorcycles are VERY similiar to the race bikes compared to a NASCAR and a ford taurus...
Couldnt've said it any better myself

Back