DMG(the new AMA) is showing their true colors

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Not only have DMG said 4 or 5 tracks that the "old" AMA agreed was too dangerous in the wet, are now safe to race in the wet with no changes to track safety.

Now they want to go back to Loudon;

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Mladin said, "It needs changes ... honestly the changes would have to be dramatic."

"I never complained about a race track's layout or its surface," said Mladin. "I can deal with that. As long as I have nothing (walls) to hit ... With DMG now promoting some sort of racing in this country, rider safety is pretty much at the bottom of the list of preferences. Rider safety is certainly a low priority for the new group."

Edmondson said DMG would have to "weigh the hazard and the risk" of any venue. They will do that with site visits and a pro rider committee. He added that the audience for Bike Week in New Hampshire (past estimates of 250,000 to 300,000 enthusiasts) must certainly be a place "where manufacturers want to be."

Without safety upgrades, Mladin said Suzuki would not force him to race in New Hampshire.

"There's no more conservative group of people than motorcycle racers," said Edmondson when speaking of changes to AMA racing, including adding different venues. "They have a comfort zone the size of a gnat."

Mladin said he would be happy to visit NHMS and offer advice for changes. He continued, "I've been a track safety advocate. I've paid my share of fines and I will continue to advocate for the riders.

"We take a lot of risks racing motorcycles ... the fact that a promoter wants to put a racer's life on the line (he paused), I believe Roger Edmondson said it's all about the pay day.

"We'll call the shots," said Edmondson of Mladin's past strong influence on the sport.

"With all due respect to Mat Mladin, who is one of the best racers on the planet, he's not the future."

Mladin replied: "I agree with (Edmondson). Finally he said something that makes sense. I won my first championship 27 years ago. I believe I could help going forward. My concern is for the sport and the kids."[/quote]

Its painfully obvious that DMG is all about making money at the EXPENSE of rider's safety.

I'm not paying a cent to the AMA or DMG's series next year!! I'm not going to any of the events. DMG has the wrong attitude and I'm not paying into it.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....764a32e

I absolutely agree 100%

but...I might be hypocritical but I plan on seeing WSBK next year, so if DMG is running, I'll be there but not going to watch the DMG races.

I love this Mladin quote: "We take a lot of risks racing motorcycles ... the fact that a promoter wants to put a racer's life on the line (he paused), I believe Roger Edmondson said it's all about the pay day.

I absolutely agree 100%

but...I might be hypocritical but I plan on seeing WSBK next year, so if DMG is running, I'll be there but not going to watch the DMG races.
That would be an exception for me as well. A motogp or WSBK event I'll go to. But forget about DMG only events.

I had a dream the the kingpin at the DMG won't be happy until the current riders safety association are replaced with puppets .

The AMA  has let me , as a American Motorcycle Road Racing fan down from my point of view . It seems there were  wrong people in the right position to help let me down , things that i liked in the past were not so good within the structure for a long while but was entirely fixable . In the press conference the AMA spokes person made clear they wanted to go the way AAA did back on the 50's and get out of racing . Sad to come so far to forget the why's of it's origins then sell out all thats been worked for .

I'll make certain to not renew my AMA membership . I already have AAA .

Last edited by a moderator:
DMG just keeps on getting worse. I wonder how long and what the next thing will be...

There's allot of advertising space on a horse. Think, if you shaved and tattooed a horse, you'd be able to sell allot of tattoos! I predict very soon, and the Kentucky Derby!

DMG just keeps on getting worse.  I wonder how long and what the next thing will be...
Spec tires (as soon as Goodyear makes a motorcycle tire), spec engines, spec gearing, spec body profiles / fairings and Darrell Waltrip replacing Freddy and screaming boogity, boogity, boogity lets go knee draggin boys!

It wouldn't be so funny if it werent true
banghead.gif

I'll be hated...     wasn't the AMA suffering financially and management wise already?  Weren't they on the brink of complete and utter collapse?  Sounds to me like the only thing that kept ANY life in the AMA cycle racing for the future was this buy out thing or whatever it was.  Without it, seems like it was fading faster than Hayabusa front brakes in lap 3.

I agree: I do not like what they are doing to the whole deal.   But at least the racing is not dead and buried.  They'll lose some hardcore people [like us and some riders] but they will gain a larger audience of people that will drink beer and watch cycle racing, and make tons of money at it.  if they didn't think that would happen, they would not have bothered with it.

out with the old, in with the new

maybe it will take a mass riders walk off to fix the safety issues

I'm past the class structure and spec this and that. At least that didn't incrase the danger to the sport. IT may be more boring, but not unsafe.

But to turn around and go backwards at all the work that the AMA and the riders accomplished with getting tracks to incrase safety is too far for me.

Even NASCAR has been improving safety over the years, not making the safety issue worse by running on unsafe tracks in the wet and going to Loudon.

After reading that , who is wearing the pants , DMG or the wealthy french family ?

Michelin , anyone know who owns that company ?

Looks like he's trying to do some damage control now;

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Daytona Motorsports Group's Roger Edmondson said today on the subject of Loudon, "There is no intent on our part to return to Loudon absent significant changes, as called for by almost every responsible member of our community. The implication that there is a unilateral attempt to do so by DMG is false and is not based in fact. To be willing to hear a presentation on how it could be done, to consider what changes could or would be made, is just common courtesy and a willingness to look to the future while remembering the heritage of one of the oldest motorcycle events in our country."

Edmondson continued, "Right now there is a new facility in New Jersey that will be ready for 2009, a new track coming on line soon in the Houston area that shows promise, and another one in North Carolina. All of these facilities will be judged on a criteria that includes safety, location, sponsor and spectator interest, and finally, the ability of our sport to afford additional events."[/quote]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jun/080616a.htm

But notice how he did not retract his statement about racer's comfort zones and other statements that he's been quoted on. In fact he's not retracting anything that he's been quoted on.
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

If DMG keeps going this way, I just wonder
winkold.gif
 how long the Factorys will stay
dunno.gif
. If they leave because of the Bike Classes, or Rules, then the Pro Racing as we know and love, will be gone for a while
sad.gif
Being in Business, I just can't understand DMG's attitude
argue.gif
. And as far as I have read or heard, they have NEVER met or talked to the Riders, Factorys or Fans as to WHAT THEY WANT
rock.gif
. To abandon the 1000cc as a also ran class (Which is the MOST
ThumbsUp.gif
 important bike the Manufactures make) in just INSANE
banghead.gif

There are several editorials posted on RR world but this one is the most poignant. It is an interview with Chip Spalding, manager of one of the better "Privateer" teams in the series right now.

"I have talked to a few of our sponsors over the last week and they are considering getting out of motorcycle road racing altogether. They are getting tired of the controversy. Tired of the instability. The manufactures are talking about leaving, the sponsors are talking about leaving, the teams and riders are talking about leaving. How long before the fans get tired of all the controversy and buy concert tickets instead? Nobody needs to go racing."

This whole thing seems like a big nightmare, I'm hoping to wake up and see it was just a dream  
sad.gif

Back