NEED HELP!! I have to write a proposal to my VP outlining why I deserve a raise..ugh

Re: NEED HELP!! I have to write a proposal to my VP outlining why I deserve a raise.

If you have a good recent annual evaluation that should be enough to justify an annual raise. If not, ask what you can do better or what you should have done better to get a raise. Put it in writing and make sure both of you agree. This is your boss, who I suppose, is someone with work with everyday. If a formal presentation is necessary above and beyond your annuall eval to justify a raise then you have a bigger problem that the raise itself and you should start looking elsewhere. If you can, just walk in with a better offer from another employer. Loyalty works both ways in business and never take it personally, if you are getting the shaft move on.

Last edited:
Re: NEED HELP!! I have to write a proposal to my VP outlining why I deserve a raise.

I'll be brutally honest here. This is not the right economic climate to be asking for a raise.

Here is the tactic I would take. Admit to your boss that the economy isn't in the best condition right now. Explain that, in order to be a team player, you're not going to ask for a raise this year. Those funds could be better used elsewhere to help the company weather the storm. Then next year bring this up, remind him how you put the company first, and ask for more than you would have this year to make up the difference.

If your business is struggling then I agree but if your company is doing well, and many are, then you are part of that reason they are successful and your efforts deserve to be rewarded.

Also be careful if he is looking for reasons to ding you, preparing a presentation for your own raise on company time may not be a good idea. Not saying you are doing that, just a suggestion.

be very factual on what you accomplished. No pie in the sky. Now also this is not a time to be shy. Everything that you contributed to that you have facts on should be brought up.

Thanks everyone! So for my company is doing pretty well. It is a HMO Health Insurance Company and I negotiate contracts with hospitals, facilities, provider groups, and such. So going to my boss, I report to a Vice President, with this is like a negotiation in itself. Ugh!

I am not doing this on company time though. For one, I do not want anything I do to have an electronic trail on the company's computer system. :)

Thanks everyone! So for my company is doing pretty well. It is a HMO Health Insurance Company and I negotiate contracts with hospitals, facilities, provider groups, and such. So going to my boss, I report to a Vice President, with this is like a negotiation in itself. Ugh!

I am not doing this on company time though. For one, I do not want anything I do to have an electronic trail on the company's computer system. :)

Man Im sure you and my wife could talk for HOURS....she has the SAME job you do...maybe same company! LOL:laugh:

Sure wish I had some good advise for ya but I don't. I just can't believe he's having you do this. You really put up with a lot of crap from this guy. Hopefully one day you can find a employer who appreciates what you do.
Good luck.

Back