Any other chubby guys like me doin a 5K?

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I stopped goin to the gym in May just foe the summer. I started back last Wednesday with my mile at 9min 27sec, pretty good I think for not touchin my sneaks all summer.....

Got it in mh mind that I wanna train over winter and do a 5K in spring. I pushed hard tonight and got a time of 34min 19sec.

If there's any other will-be first time 5K'ers out there speak up & let's help boost each other along!

Most other chubbies are barely getting off of the couch. :laugh:

Btw,, I applaud you for getting back into shape. Your future will thank you.

I stopped goin to the gym in May just foe the summer. I started back last Wednesday with my mile at 9min 27sec, pretty good I think for not touchin my sneaks all summer.....

Got it in mh mind that I wanna train over winter and do a 5K in spring. I pushed hard tonight and got a time of 34min 19sec.

If there's any other will-be first time 5K'ers out there speak up & let's help boost each other along!

Pace yourself, don't push to hard right off the bat. Be fore you know it you will be picking up pace fast enough.

I'm not really pushin too hard just enough to make myself wanna quit then i back it off

If your running on a treadmill, 34 minutes to run 3 miles is horrible, but I know your not so I'd say 34 minutes is not too bad for a chubby cake. They make Marines run a 5k in under 25 minutes and they say that's average so I think we both should try and beat that time. Im 205Lbs and 5'11 and run 3 miles in 29 minutes. Been running for only 4 weeks though. Im gonna strap a donut in front of my face while I run to see if it works.

I never ran an organized 5k but trained on a 5k track in 2005. Started working on fitness last year and ran a few 3 mile runs in the morning. The wife and I entered a 10k about a week and half ago. I had some minor surgery that kept me from training but went anyhow. (the only run I had was about 2 miles about 6 weeks prior). My goal was to make the entire 10k with as minimal walking as possible. I was able to make the whole 10k without walking (except a few feet through three of the water stations). I didn't set any records at all, but I finished it. Don't worry about your time compared to others. Work on improving it.

We are entered in a 1/2 marathon near Thanksgiving. We started training for it Monday. 2.2 mile Monday, 3.3 miles Tuesday. A bit of core work today, running Thu/Fri/Sat.

By standards I'm 50 pounds or so overweight. We'll see what it is in about 6 weeks.

I do local 5k charity walk/runs all the time.

Hauling all 300lbs of me. :beerchug: I usually come in under and hour.

RedKat05

How are things going with the training?

My wife and I ran 10 miles Saturday. It was a struggle the first 3-4 miles but I made it through it.

You big boys want the best possible advice to signigicantly improve your 5k times? Go on a full blown vegan diet asap. Your endurance and stamina will skyrocket, as well as your overall health. I know this from personal experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

If your running on a treadmill, 34 minutes to run 3 miles is horrible, but I know your not so I'd say 34 minutes is not too bad for a chubby cake. They make Marines run a 5k in under 25 minutes and they say that's average so I think we both should try and beat that time. Im 205Lbs and 5'11 and run 3 miles in 29 minutes. Been running for only 4 weeks though. Im gonna strap a donut in front of my face while I run to see if it works.

it's 3 miles "5k" in 28 minutes...talking about running though...just did the marine corps marathon 26 miles in 4 hours 15 mins...not bad for my big arse lol sore as crap from that yesterday...but man keep up with it, gets easier with time, Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!oorah there's motivation for the day:thumbsup:

I am glad for you. Keep up the good work. I miss running so much. I cant do it anymore because of my back. I use to play softball for 10 hrs a day and loved every minute of it. Best of luck.

at my peak last year i was doing 3 miles in 20 minutes. this year i was doing 24 minutes at best cause i hate running. Now with the leg broke i dont have to run for long time :cheerleader: I get to strictly work on upper body :thumbsup:

The key to running is finding a deep breathing pattern that best fits you. And you only get better at running when you hit the point where it hurts and you think you cant go further and you keep pushing. Only at that point can you increase your running alot. (i started at running 18 minute 1.5 miles (36min+ 3mile) in 2008 and was at 20 min 3 mile this time last year in 2009.

uhhh...nope this fat boy ruined all hips and knees doing all my running in my youth...i would do 10 miles a day...i did x-c and averaged 5k in under 17mins. i am paying for it now..i graduated high school at 125 lbs at 5'10".... not any more

@ 260lbs and 6'3" i can run 5k in 24-26 mins usually. been having knee issues lately though and got to go see the ortho.....

Back