any GenII with AudioVox, HELP!

troypennock

Registered
My AudioVox is installed. Since I do not have any LED add-on lights anywhere (except one set to the state id plate and one set to the front position lights <brown-white wire>) I did not install a relay. The unit fails to engage. I now am guessing I made a mistake and need the relay. I hold one (Murphy supplied relay) in my right hand, there are wires black, red, yellow, blue, and white. Where are they to be attached? Also, I am less than confident about my dep switch settings. I would appreciate some wisdom from anyone who has installed an AudioVox on a GenII. Thank you.

Hopefully Cap will chime in...he just installed one on his Gen II

The 08/09 taillight is comprised of LEDs. I'd say you do definitely need the relay to properly 'ground' the appropriate lead on the servo. I thought that was to disengage, not engage, but I'm probably incorrect. You need the relay, in any case.

I've found the instructions at the cited link (PipeFighter's instructions) to be helpful. Among my own difficulties, for a Cali bike (obviously doesn't affect the original poster) there is a charcoal canister under the right rear body work).

I have not installed my AudioVox yet, but have done some 'investigation'.

Captain did in fact install one on his bike. There's a thread from the past month discussing the task.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene.../113017-ordered-new-cruise-control-today.html

One of the links in the cited installation directions refers to how to wire the relay. Sorry, I don't recall which link it was. I downloaded the information myself, but if you go to the links, and follow each, you'll locate the one you're looking for within 5 minutes. My thanks to PipeFighter for posting his article in the first place. My understanding is that the brakelight wire energizes the relay's primary coil when the braklight comes on, then the secondary (normally open) goes closed, grounding the servo lead (the 'purple' wire, I seem to recall).

Alan

Last edited:
You need the relay. The Gen II has LED brake lights from the factory. Not sure which colors go where, but the relay should have the blades labeed. Heres a diagram. Not sure what color the GenII brake light wire is, it's BLUE in the diagram.

relay diagram.jpg

Last edited:
More info. I called AudioVox and got a real person. He looked up some stuff in his computer and shot back with: you need the relay because the is not enough difference in power between running tail lights and brake lights; cut the yellow wire off of the relay; take the blue and black wires of the relay and ground them; run the white wire to the negative side of the brake light; and, hook the red wire to the purple wire on the servo. This is great stuff. Now my 10 amp TURN fuse blows when I hit the hand or foot brake.

Then you have it hooked up wrong. The AudioVox finds ground through the brake light bulb when the brake lights are not lit. Sending power to the brake lights interupts the ground and disengages the cruise control. LEDs do not provide the connection for the ground when not lit. The relay provides the ground.

The relay coil needs to be unpowered when the brake light is not lit and powered when it is lit. The CC ground wire (purple) needs to go to ground when the relay coil is not powered and be open when the relay coil is powered.

Can you post a closeup pic of the relay that shows the markings for the blades?

Wire color isn't consistent relay to relay. The relay should have a diagram molded on it or the blades labeled. Its very simple to wire in. 2 blades (86 and 87A) go to ground, 1 blade (85) goes to the brake light wire. 1 blade (30) goes to the CC disconnect. Blade 87 can just be capped.

Standard SPDT Automotive Relay blades.
85 is coil +
86 is coil -
30 is accessory in (C)
87A is accessory out when coil is not charged (NC)
87 is accessory out when coil is charged (NO)

Last edited:
Back