Any experience with one of these?

I've never flown one personally, but a friend of mine does. He's actually building a 1/7 scale F-14 right now.

That is awesome! I'd love to own one but considering my first nitro RC car lasted all of 5 minutes before the crystal popped loose....I watched in terror as the car made a 60 mph arc across the parking lot before smashing head on into a concrete curb. There were several pieces I couldn't retrieve because they landed on the roof of the school. :whistle:
Good news is I complained to Tower Hobbies and they sent me every part I needed to rebuild it for free.

I'm picturing one little malfunction or mistake with that jet and $10K will go up in a puff of smoke. And if there are people around, body bags may be involved!

there was a website call "flyingGiants" that had a lot of "competition" video of 3d flying and the jets... I posted a video a couple years ago that played against "the sandman" and it was awesome.... The RC guys can really make this stuff look easy..

*from the link Jesse provided*

This is for F=MA ....:laugh:

Just liked you explained how you came to your screen name :thumbsup:

FORCES ON AN AIRFRAME

"The dynamic pressure on an airframe is defined as the maximum pressure force available in a flow field relative to the true airspeed. These forces are defined by the equation: q = 1/2 σ V ^2 with "σ" defined as air density on a vehicle and “V” as the velocity in ft/sec.

An example of force (pressure) acting on the forward facing surfaces of a typical model jet such as a BVM Ultra Bandit is:

25.2 lb/sq ft at 100 mph

56.7 lb/sq ft at 150 mph

100.8 lb/sq ft at 200 mph

157.5 lb/sq ft at 250 mph

226.8 lb/sq ft at 300 mph

308.8 lb/sq ft at 350 mph

The effect of speed and radius of the turn on “G” forces is:

F = (mv^2)/r where “F” is force, “r” is radius, “m” is mass and “v” is velocity

As the true airspeed of an aircraft doubles from 150 mph to 300 mph, it experiences four times the “G-loading” when performing a simple level turn of a similar radius. This means that even a large ¼ mile radius (1320 foot) turn requires a hefty 4.56g “pull” at 300 mph under standard, sea level conditions while it’s only 1.14g at 150 mph. Additionally, when this turn radius is halved to 1/8 mile, the load factor doubles to 9.12g! Thus it is easy to envision how more aggressive maneuvering required to keep a 300 mph aircraft in comfortable visual range or to set up for speed runs can easily impact huge aerodynamic loads on a structure.

Every control surface has a critical flutter speed dependant on its area, weight, hinge moment, and electro/mechanical control system."

Last edited:
Flying the Ultra Bandit

I'll admit...I had no idea that RC jets like this even existed for public amusement. I'm completely fascinated!
And once again ....the org has caused my wallet to go into hiding as I ponder yet another expensive hobby. Thanks a lot Jesse! :poke::moon:

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
go on my owens10101 youtube page,
that 1 flys at over 180mph at half throttle... and its single turbine £2,200 for 1 turbine tho!

owens10101

look though my vids and search rc, its amazing

those planes are nuts. You've got to have some deep dedication to go to these levels. Deep pockets help too. :bowdown:

From the size of it looks like a Yellow Aircraft model but not 100% sure. They make some pretty awesome stuff.
Linky:Yellow Aircraft: Jet Models

I saw a guy on youtube wreck a 8 engine B52 RC jet. Thing looked like a real jet down to the smoke and fire. So lets see $3k per engine times 8 equals a change of underwear!:laugh:
Linky:
- RC B52 bomber crash[/url]

Left the P.A. announcer speechless. Sad to see.

That is awesome! I'd love to own one but considering my first nitro RC car lasted all of 5 minutes before the crystal popped loose....I watched in terror as the car made a 60 mph arc across the parking lot before smashing head on into a concrete curb. There were several pieces I couldn't retrieve because they landed on the roof of the school. :whistle:
Good news is I complained to Tower Hobbies and they sent me every part I needed to rebuild it for free.

I'm picturing one little malfunction or mistake with that jet and $10K will go up in a puff of smoke. And if there are people around, body bags may be involved!

I'm curious about the potential liability of the builder/operator of the RC model for personal and property damage in a worst case scenario. This one could get ugly.

*from the link Jesse provided*

This is for F=MA ....:laugh:

Just liked you explained how you came to your screen name :thumbsup:

FORCES ON AN AIRFRAME

"The dynamic pressure on an airframe is defined as the maximum pressure force available in a flow field relative to the true airspeed. These forces are defined by the equation: q = 1/2 σ V ^2 with "σ" defined as air density on a vehicle and “V†as the velocity in ft/sec.

An example of force (pressure) acting on the forward facing surfaces of a typical model jet such as a BVM Ultra Bandit is:

25.2 lb/sq ft at 100 mph

56.7 lb/sq ft at 150 mph

100.8 lb/sq ft at 200 mph

157.5 lb/sq ft at 250 mph

226.8 lb/sq ft at 300 mph

308.8 lb/sq ft at 350 mph

The effect of speed and radius of the turn on “G†forces is:

F = (mv^2)/r where “F†is force, “r†is radius, “m†is mass and “v†is velocity

As the true airspeed of an aircraft doubles from 150 mph to 300 mph, it experiences four times the “G-loading†when performing a simple level turn of a similar radius. This means that even a large ¼ mile radius (1320 foot) turn requires a hefty 4.56g “pull†at 300 mph under standard, sea level conditions while it’s only 1.14g at 150 mph. Additionally, when this turn radius is halved to 1/8 mile, the load factor doubles to 9.12g! Thus it is easy to envision how more aggressive maneuvering required to keep a 300 mph aircraft in comfortable visual range or to set up for speed runs can easily impact huge aerodynamic loads on a structure.

Every control surface has a critical flutter speed dependant on its area, weight, hinge moment, and electro/mechanical control system."

How did you know I'd be along to view this? :laugh:

The b-52 video Haya01B posted looks very much like an accelerated stall, where the wing loading in a turn overcomes the amount of lift the wings are capable of providing.

It looks eerily similar to an event that occurred with the real deal fifteen years ago.

Airplanes are good at a lot of things...violating the laws of physics is not their strong suit.

Don't play this unless you are comfortable seeing a plane crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that one, pilot was a reckless, risk-taking type, allways buzzing
the tower etc.

Remember that one, pilot was a reckless, risk-taking type, allways buzzing
the tower etc.

There's a two word phrase you never want to hear someone at the controls of the airplane you're on say...any guesses what the phrase is?

Back