antifreeze

gunsavy

Registered
If my bike is just sitting for the winter what kind of coolant should I use
Posted via Mobile Device

Just send it my way, I'll garage keep it above freezing and promise to never ride it, or even think about riding it, I mean the thought will never enter my mind to ride it, I just would never, ever, ride it. I mean it.............

A 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze that is safe for aluminum and distilled water.
+1 ethylene glycol

over marketed propylene glycol .. can be had for less $$ under other names. (around $14 a gallon "Sierra" brand at Ace Hardware)

"Engine Ice" proper is around $40 a gallon.. nothing wrong with the stuff but the price is outrageous is all...

Does have some advantages.. non toxic, easier to clean up, slightly higher boiling point

EDIT: Napa has it also..

683009.jpg
Qty
btnAddItemsToList.gif

Antifreeze - LowTox - Gallon Product Line: Prestone - Regular States
Part Number:
PAF AF555P
Price: 11.39

Last edited:
I like Engine Ice, but prefer the OEM B.M.W. stuff (cheaper than Engine Ice). Whatever you use, just be sure it is either very low in, or has NO silicates in it.

Silicates are an often demonized component of antifreeze/coolant formulations. Silicates aid in inhibiting corrosion, and aid in maintaining a more alkaline pH. While many JIS engineers specify NO SILICATES in their products (as in most Japanese motorcycles), there are applications where silicates are called for.

oh, on the question about distilled water. I use normal tap water. Is there a difference seriously?

The biggest, and most important difference is mineral content. You need to watch the pH level of your final mix, which can be affected by the minerals in tap water. You also want to minimize crystallization, and hard deposits forming on your pump components, and in the radiator, as well as all of the coolant passages. I would suggest distilled as your first choice, and tap water only when distilled is not available.

Back