running bike off of different battery?

merisey

Donating Member
Registered
I've heard you can't jump bikes. While I wait on my new battery to get here can I run my bike via cables off of my lawn mower so that I can flush my coolant? Or do I have to wait 2 weeks to ride again? Got alot of my to do list done this holiday weekend, it's killing me to see it sitting in the garage.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have also but BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO REVERSE the battery cables, and whatever you do, and I know a lot of old school gear heads used to do this to trouble shoot there older cars, Removing the positive battery cable while the bike is running to trouble shoot a charging issue, This technique used to work on cars before the ECU's came out but now you are at high risk of a surge getting back and blowing the ECU.
Becareful with jump starts, your actually safer bump starting it rolling down the driveway. that would be my first method before jumper cables and taking a risk of arching the positive against the frame fround etc.

Don't know what a lawn mower battery looks like, you can jump it with a car battery just do it with the car off. I did it once with a car running and fried my stator at least that is what I am blaming for it. The burning smell hit me as soon as it fired up and the bike died shortly after that.

Back