Manually running fan from battery with key off, sorry if explained before

stepaukob

Registered
I want to be able to run my fan manually with key on or off on my 2002 Busa.

Many people here have write ups on how to add an overide switch but I think they can only turn fan on with key in the on position. I want to be able to run my fan while the bike is off.

Here are my thougths:
Battery > Inline fuse > Swith (Double pole, single throw)> Fan

I think I would need a Double pole, single throw because from what I've read, the fan comes on when a ground is acheived by a relay. So I'm guessing I would be safe with DPST switch?

Can I just jump into the fan wiring right at the fan with this setup and not cause any issues with relay or temp sensor functioning? I would rather keep relay and sensor operational in case I'm foolish enough to let anyone else ride my bike or forget to turn fan on myself.

Also, thoughts on wire guage and fuse size for two fans with this setup. Thanks for any info

Unless you have an electric water pump, there is no point running the fan without the motor. The water has to be able to circulate through the block and radiator to cool it off....

Then you would need to leave the engine running so the oil can circulate. Same principle. Blowing ambient air on the surface of the compressor isn't going to cool it down. It gets hot from the inside out, and needs to cool that way also.

A turbo timer leaves the engine running for a certain amount of time after removing the key and locking the car........

I've never heard of this but that's what I was trying to accomplish.

After reviewing what you guys wrote and researching I guess just staying out of boost for a bit prior to shutting down would accomplish what I needed.

Thanks for information, guess I didn't think it all the way through.

Turbo timers are popular with the ricer crowd, made by HKS, GReddy etc. The problem is that when you shut down a motor without letting it idle first, the oil stops circulating long before the compressor wheel stops spinning. This leads to the wheel essentially cooking itself in the non-circulating oil, and will lead to premature failure. This is solved by letting the engine run at idle for 2-3 minutes before shutting down. The compressor wheel spins at up to 30k rpm, so you can imagine it may take a little bit for it to slow down.
Link to an HKS turbo timer is here not suggesting you buy anything from them, just the first one I found on a google search. Not even sure it could be adapted to bikes, but you can get an idea of what they are.:beerchug:

Last edited:
I seem to remember some turbo charged cars have an oil pump that keeps going for a while after switch off but I don't know how you'd achieve this. I agree with the other member, just let it idle for a while before switching off, and don't rev it, just switch it off.

Well funny you asked
I put a switch in the left inner and wired it direct to the fan with a fuse but not for the same reason i have tried to figure out why the fan will not turn on and yes the fan relay and the temp sensor have been replaced any Ideas??

The button 002.jpg

a turbo timer is NOT a ricer device, they're useful in turbo'd applications. or, just don't drive like a jackass ALL THE WAY to where you're going. take it easy the last couple minutes and you can just shut it down. some vehicles (porsche, audi) have an additional oil pump that circulates oil after the motor is off, the fans on the oil cooler continue to cool the circulating oil until the temp comes down to a preset level.

a turbo timer is NOT a ricer device, they're useful in turbo'd applications. or, just don't drive like a jackass ALL THE WAY to where you're going. take it easy the last couple minutes and you can just shut it down. some vehicles (porsche, audi) have an additional oil pump that circulates oil after the motor is off, the fans on the oil cooler continue to cool the circulating oil until the temp comes down to a preset level.
Did I hit a nerve?:lol:
You know anything made by HKS or GReddy is pure ricer material....
Works well, but that's the crowd it became popular with.

Did I hit a nerve?:lol:
You know anything made by HKS or GReddy is pure ricer material....
Works well, but that's the crowd it became popular with.

lol, why not just buy a turbo timer for 50 bucks and wire the sucker up?
apexi-turbo-timer.jpg

they're pretty easy to wire up as well.

Well funny you asked
I put a switch in the left inner and wired it direct to the fan with a fuse but not for the same reason i have tried to figure out why the fan will not turn on and yes the fan relay and the temp sensor have been replaced any Ideas??

For one you need to take a meter and see if your getting amps or just ohm it and see if you have connection. Take one end of wire with one lead and put it on the other end of same wire and c if your meter makes noise. Check each wire from ur fan and to relay. Then ohm out the fan motor. That's a start and it may have short somewhere

I installed a kit several years ago on a friends turbo diesel Ford F350. It had a timer on it so that when you turned the motor off an electric oil pump came on and circulated the oil through the turbo and oil cooler for what ever amount of time you set it for. It also could be wired to come on when you first turn the switch on to pre-lube the turbo on start up.

Back