Gen Ii Fans Not Coming On

Rob hayes

Registered
I've seen a couple posts on this, but nothing has really helped, thought I'd see if anyone had any other thoughts. It's a 2008 and it recently started overheating when idling a while or cruising really, really slow, like under 10 MPH, for a bit. The only change was that I had the ECU flashed, more on that in a bit.

If I jump across the relay, I get power and the fans spin up. So fans are good and I've got good power to them. Right now I just have switch wired up to manually control the fans (and yes, I know plenty of folks will say to just be happy with this, but I want the stupid fan setup to work properly).

If I put some jumper wires in place to pull the relay out with the switch side hooked up and hit the relay coil side directly off the battery, it clicks and the fans come on. So I know the relay is good.

I checked continuity between the coil side wiring and where it comes out at the ECU connector, good checks there.

My temp gauge works, and per the tuner I've worked with, the temp gauge is driven from the ECU same as the fan logic, so the temp sensor is working and the ECU is getting that signal.

I had previously had the ECU flashed, so I contacted the tuner who did it. He had changed the temp range, at my request, and he also noted that the fan fi light was turned off. I've been wanting to do more with the ECU, so I bought a Woolich setup and pulled up the ECU. I turned off the no fan fi setting, double checked the temp range (it's a drop-down, so no real chance to get it wrong) and the bike now throws a C60, aka fan relay, code. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

The thing is, I can't honestly recall the last time I noticed the fans on and I can't recall the last time I was actually in a long idle situation, or cruising for a long time under like 10 MPH, for me to have overheated, so I can't say how long this has been an issue.

The one thing I can't find is an actual part number for the OEM relay that should be there. I'm not convinced the relay that is in it is the OEM relay, but I can't really tell.

Last edited:
Water pump? Poor circulation. A partial blockage somewhere in the system, radiator, airlock? Fans won’t come on, if there is no water around the temp sensor.
The temp gauge is responding fine, even get the nice little red light when it goes into the red, which to my understanding means the temp sensor is picking up properly.

The temp gauge is responding fine, even get the nice little red light when it goes into the red, which to my understanding means the temp sensor is picking up properly.
If you have bad circulation, due to a failed thermostat, collapsed hose, failed water pump or other type of blockage, you will still get a working gauge but also overheating.

Sorry, I should have stated in my original. While idling I can let the bike get hot, and then flip on the switch to manually turn on the fans and the bike cools down rapidly. I'm taking that as a good sign that water is actually flowing in all the right places.

Does sound like it's the relay.
I agree, I just can't figure out why. I've tried 2 different relays, tested them out, and had a friend test them to ensure they were good. My concern is maybe they aren't the same specs as OEM so maybe I have more resistance or something else on the coil side and that's causing problems.

Back