Gen 2 overheat on a Friday night- followup

ottafish

Registered
A few weeks ago my bike overheated and dumped all coolant - home on a tilt tray...
First chance I've had to get back to the bike.
New thermostat - fitted
New temp sensor / sender - fitted
New radiator cap - fitted
New coolant - filled.
Few start-ups, check coolant, top up, lean bike left/right a few times, squeeze hoses, bleed screw, etc..

Found out the cause of the initial problem is the fans aren't turning on... at all.
* Fuses good
* checked relay, contacts close under 12v - appears good
* Jumper the fan side wiring on the relay connector plug, both fans work.
* Coil side Orange/white has +12v once ignition is turned on
* Coil side Orange from relay to ECU plug continuity fine
* (only thing I can't check is the resistance of the coil as I don't have a new one to compare to)

My only thought now is a ECU fault.(I haven't touched the ecu yet and don't know the history)
I either need to find a Gen 2 Australian ecu to borrow to test, find one on ebay to buy, or set up a manual switch and hope to heck I remember to turn it on
Damn....

The AU ecu don't come up for sale often , but I have seen on evilbay from time to time . I know when you get your ecu flashed , the go usually is to set your fans to come on at a lower temp . It wouldn't hurt to get the ecu flashed anyway , and same time checked out , or even get a Suzuki shop to check your untouched one . The dude that flashes your ecu can also ensure the dealers diagnostics still have access . Does seem real strange , hope you get this fully sorted bro .

I will look into the 2013 Busa workshop manual when I get back to work at the bike shop on Monday.
I'll see if they give any resistance specs on the fan relay coil as you are interested in knowing.
If it's the same relay as the 1999-2000 (not sure offhand) here's the test from the service manual . . .

IMG_2461.JPG

Last edited:
The AU ecu don't come up for sale often , but I have seen on evilbay from time to time . I know when you get your ecu flashed , the go usually is to set your fans to come on at a lower temp . It wouldn't hurt to get the ecu flashed anyway , and same time checked out , or even get a Suzuki shop to check your untouched one . The dude that flashes your ecu can also ensure the dealers diagnostics still have access . Does seem real strange , hope you get this fully sorted bro .
I did not know there was a difference in ECU from AU or The USA or EU. I have learned something today

There is an led next to the key cylinder if the bike has an immobilizer.
That is where the wiring from the ecu plug goes.
The immobilizer is included in the country code in the ecu.
As said, U.S Busa doesn't have it, but some other countries do.
You can also use any ecu from any gen2 or Bking, regardless of country, you just need to flash the ecu to the needed country code.
All gen2 and Bking ecu's are 100% physically the same.
Flash an ecu without a factory immobilizer, and flash it as an immobilizer/another country code, and you will lock the ecu, and permanently from my personal experience.
The locked ecu strangely will still start a different bike though.
Always check the country code in Ecu Editor.
It is supposed to default to the U.S, but it got me years back.
I flashed a gsxr750(no immobilizer), and did not notice that version of Ecu Ed for gsxr's did Not default to U.S, but EU/Europe...with an immobilizer...and it permanently locked to that bike.
Switched ecu's between 2 same year 750's(2011 or 12, don't remember).
The locked ecu with the immobilzed flash(and uneffective U.S reflashes)worked fine in the other bike. Strange.
Even Smith had never seen or heard of that happening.
So be aware and be careful.
Always check the country code before flashing!

Back