Cooling Fan Relay

_01

Registered
are relays something that can intermittently fail? i have been having issuse with my fan kicking on when it feels like. fan turns on sometimes and i can put 12v to it to turn it on so that tells me the fan is good. temp will go up to the red while in traffic when the fan isnt on and temps drop as soon as i get moving. i replaced the sensor on the radiator and the one on the back side of the engine. also did my best to get all the air out of my cooling system. last thing i can think of is that relay. mods to the cooling system are rcc electric water pump, muzzys fan, gutted thermostat. bike also has fresh fluids and sensors as mentioned earlier and a newer rad cap.

are relays something that can intermittently fail? i have been having issuse with my fan kicking on when it feels like. fan turns on sometimes and i can put 12v to it to turn it on so that tells me the fan is good. temp will go up to the red while in traffic when the fan isnt on and temps drop as soon as i get moving. i replaced the sensor on the radiator and the one on the back side of the engine. also did my best to get all the air out of my cooling system. last thing i can think of is that relay. mods to the cooling system are rcc electric water pump, muzzys fan, gutted thermostat. bike also has fresh fluids and sensors as mentioned earlier and a newer rad cap.
My advice is to fit a new relay just to eliminate the old relay as being faulty.
You could test the relay, yes, but as @Mr Brown said they either work or they don't, as a rule. Replacing it will eliminate the relay as the possible cause.
You could also perform a continuity test on the wiring in that circuit starting at the thermoswitch in the radiator and following the circuit from start to finish.

Back