Cooling Fan NOT coming on,

chillcat34433

Registered
Newbie here....I did alot of researching on the issues involving this. I tested the Fan (good), there was NO fan relay on the bike when I bought it, someones chop-shop I guess. I installed relay and still no fan coming on, coming on after warming up 5 mins or so. How long should I allow it to run before the fan should kick on? I haven't owned the bike long at all. I jumped the connectors on the Fan switch and fan comes on fine. Perhaps either I didn't allow the bike to idle long enough or maybe the actual switch is bad. Thankyou for any suggestions!!

QUICK SUMMARY: Fan kicks on if I bypass the fan switch, I'm either not allowing bike to get hot enough or perhaps faulty switch. I plan to get back on it in the morning, but wanted some feedback tonight. :)

It should come on right as the needle passes the half way mark on a gen 1. Not sure about gen 2, but i'd assume it's the same?

ok, cool. So I'll def check that out, mine is a 99 btw. Before I post another thread on another topic perhaps you can assist. The guy before me changed the fuel tank to the next one up, I keep meaning to check the VIN # on the engine and verify its originality. Assuming its just the fuel tank swap, my fuel-level sender is not working. Do you know if the unit should work just swapping out the tanks or am I looking at something more?

Has the coolant been changed recently? May have air in the system that needs to be bled. Could be a bad temp sensor, bad radiator cap, etc.

Check the simple things first. Start with the fuse! If you have power on both sides of the fuse, check for power at the relay you installed. Work from the fuse block forward until you find the culprit!

You should have power to the fan at 220 degrees or so. Let the engine idle until the temp needle reaches the red to make sure the electrical system is functioning at all.

ok, cool. So I'll def check that out, mine is a 99 btw. Before I post another thread on another topic perhaps you can assist. The guy before me changed the fuel tank to the next one up, I keep meaning to check the VIN # on the engine and verify its originality. Assuming its just the fuel tank swap, my fuel-level sender is not working. Do you know if the unit should work just swapping out the tanks or am I looking at something more?

The '99 and '00 fuel tanks have external fuel pumps. You can get the others to work, but it's a bit of extra work. I'm fairly certain you would have to do something REALLY wrong replacing a tank to mess up the cooling system.

'99 and '00 have different ECU's than all other years. The motors are basically the same, but if a motor swap was done with an '01 or later, it would have needed a new ECU and harness, or an entirely new charging system in order to work. Which I doubt is your problem.

I'd double and triple check the stuff you wired in recently was done correctly, or even necessary. Are you certain you let it get up to the proper temperature for the fan to kick on before you decided it was broken?

Then, as Tuff said. Work your way from there.

Back