Another worthless LEO

Lurch

The milkman cometh!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Let me start by stating "NOT ALL LEO's ARE BAD, THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD ONES!"
I live on the Wisconsin, Illinois border so I do a fair amount of riding in Illinois. My brother and I went for a ride today that took us into Lake County, IL. We started to get thirsty so we stopped at a pub that I know the bartender at. We both had sodas and left. As we pulled out, we pulled up to the stop sign. Yes we saw the State Police car at the gas station watching us and the rest of the bikes. We pulled up side by side to the stop sign, came to a full and complete stop. Both feet down and waited for the opposing car to cycle thru the sign. We left together form the sign and no we did not take off flying. About 1/2 mile down the road the state boy pul;led up along side us and told us to pull over. No lights, no sirens and on the wrong side of the road. He told us we ran the stop sign and that what we did was wrong and illegal. We said that we were sorry but it is legal in Wisconsin. He said he talked toa Wisconsin state tropper and was told different. I exp-lained that one of my riding buddies is a state trooper and he disagrees. The cop got upset and said he was going to write us. He comes back after 20 minutes and said he was just giving a verbal warning. I said I would double check the Wisconsin law when I get home. He gets upset and starts to write me. Says I need $75 bond. I said I do not have the cash, so he follows us back to the gas station to hit the ATM. While I am getting cash, my brother sees him looking through the state statuetes for the law. Guess he could not find it, he did not write me after all. When I got home, I went on the internet to find the laws. Illinois DOES NOT have anything on the books relating to Lane sharing. (Not on the books, NOT Illegal) Wisconsin has a law stating that it IS LEGAL to share a lane.
Sorry this is so long but I just had to vent. By the time he let us go we lost 1.5 hours of ride time.
Thanks guys and gals

What a pain dude! Question...Why would you have to give any LEO money/cash there on the spot? I live in TX so I am not familiar with ever having to give on money/cash on the spot.

they eat too much cheese up there, we are friendly in Oklahoma.

Sounds like you started a small pissing contest with him. Even though he was wrong you need to let him off the hook and not make him appear like he is ignorant of the law.
He made a big mistake stopping you in the first place and was probably trying to find a way to get out and still save face.

If he is smart he won't stop anyone again if he is not sure a violation was committed.
We expect LEO to never make a mistake .... reality is they do. We all do.

It sounds like it was a slow day on the road. I mean, if that's all he had to pull you guys over, not a major crime. My son is a cop and we lane share all the time here in New York.

What a pain dude!  Question...Why would you have to give any LEO money/cash there on the spot?  I live in TX so I am not familiar with ever having to give on money/cash on the spot.
I live in Wisconsin so even though I was 1 mile from the line I was out of state so they require you to post a bond so you show up in court or pay the ticket.

Sounds like you started a small pissing contest with him. Even though he was wrong you need to let him off the hook and not make him appear like he is ignorant of the law.
He made a big mistake stopping you in the first place and was probably trying to find a way to get out and still save face.

If he is smart he won't stop anyone again if he is not sure a violation was committed.
No I was very nice to him and only explained that I would verify the law in Wisconsin so I od not get popped here at home.
Having been a Fire inspector for the local fire department I understand that there is NO WAY possible to know all of the laws. But when he started quoting Wisconsin laws incorrectly I just said I would check.
YES as soon as he let us go he pulled over antoher pair of bikes for the same thing. He had been sitting in the parking lot all afternoon doing this. I did not know what he was stopping for until after he got us.

im orry but i woulda said write my ticket and ill see you in court i wouldnt have dealt with the harrasment and then after i went into court i woulda made him feel like a **** by bringing a copy of the law with me and telling the court that i was ever so nice to make the cop a copy for his records.

Im all for working with LEO's but this guy just sounds like he wants to be a ball buster so he woulda been told write the ticket and lets not waste any more bs time out here on the street.

hmmm...sorry to hear you got messed with bro, sounds like another kid who got picked on in grade school finally got his badge
guns.gif

cmon up to Mil-town bro, they only get mad when you block the entrance to the Donut-shop 'round here
cool.gif

im orry but i woulda said write my ticket and ill see you in court i wouldnt have dealt with the harrasment and then after i went into court i woulda made him feel like a **** by bringing a copy of the law with me and telling the court that i was ever so nice to make the cop a copy for his records.

Im all for working with LEO's but this guy just sounds like he wants to be a ball buster so he woulda been told write the ticket and lets not waste any more bs time out here on the street.
Oh I was disappointed he did not write me. I wanted to see the State Stat he referenced. And I did plan on showing up with the law/ or lack of in hand.
Click for published info.
Yes it is from 2006. I will call the state on Monday morning. I just don't want to get popped again and lose valuable ride time. That is what upset me the most.

hmmm...sorry to hear you got messed with bro, sounds like another kid who got picked on in grade school finally got his badge
guns.gif

cmon up to Mil-town bro, they only get mad when you block the entrance to the Donut-shop 'round here
cool.gif
You are so right Big D. Even Greenfield ain't that bad. I lived there for 8 years. I will get a hold of you when I get back from Japan in August. I leave Tuesday, after have been gone the lst 2 weeks. That is why I was so pissed he wasted so much of my ride time.

OHHHHHHHHH I forgot his name was Hand. Yes MR. Hand. for those of us old enough to remember the movie. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Just thought it was funny.

No I was very nice to him and only explained that I would verify the law in Wisconsin so I od not get popped here at home.
Having been a Fire inspector for the local fire department I understand that there is NO WAY possible to know all of the laws. But when he started quoting Wisconsin laws incorrectly I just said I would check.
YES as soon as he let us go he pulled over antoher pair of bikes for the same thing. He had been sitting in the parking lot all afternoon doing this. I did not know what he was stopping for until after he got us.
sounds like you were trying to have the last word. That usually costs money.

banghead.gif

I'll have to chime in and say that your approach to his "ignorance" may have been a bit argumentative. We all know that cops don't like to be questioned or talked back to. If he said he was going to let you off with a warning, that would have been the cue to "ZIP IT" and roll out.

Oh I was disappointed he did not write me. I wanted to see the State Stat he referenced. And I did plan on showing up with the law/ or lack of in hand.
Click for published info.
Yes it is from 2006. I will call the state on Monday morning. I just don't want to get popped again and lose valuable ride time. That is what upset me the most.
Sorry to hear you had trouble with one of Illinois most notorious. I won't even go into my opinion of the Illinos State Police as that is beside the point. I actually won't go into my opinion of any officer that would make a stop such as this because in my opinion it is petty BS.

I will add that had the trooper written you the ticket he would have been in the right to do so. The link you posted from the AMA even has the correct section of the IVC (IL Veh Code) It states operating two abreast is not referenced, however directly below that there is a link for lane splitting. I will add that I believe it is poorly written but wouldn't press my luck to go to court and challenge it in hopes of getting a ticket dropped.

Interesting story.

Glad you didn't get written, but who takes 20 minutes to run to licenses and registrations ?

I will tell you the law in Vermont on this .

No motorcycle shall be within 10 feet of another M/C ( Except when in a parade.)

Go chew on that one.

I for one like the 10 foot buffer zone and it applies to cages also
thumb_up.gif

Back