Another PayPal scam email...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Just got an email showing to be from service@paypal.com . It said it was a receipt for a payment from my account to "Eluxury Time". The contents of the mail was an image instead of text like PayPal sends in real receipts. Didn't even look real... but it said a payment was made from my account to eluxury for $290 and had a clickable link to "dispute the charge", which is obviously what they wanted me to do... I didn't click it. I simply went to my account via the secure main URL to paypal and confirmed that there hadn't been any transactions on my account, just to satisfy myself that it was totally bullshit. And it was... no transactions on my account for months now and never one to these idiots.

So, if you get a mail that appears to be a receipt for a transaction you haven't made, sign in on PayPal via the secure URL ( https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_home ) and check your account. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IN ANY MAIL TO DISPUTE THE CHARGE OR ANYTHING ELSE! I have no idea what would happen if I clicked the link, but I'm not gonna try it to see...

Man, I wish I could get my hands on just one of these scamming mutha fuggers!

Also, fwiw... if my email browser hadn't been set up to block images in incoming emails it would have opened and looked sort of like a PayPal mail... I still wouldn't have clicked anything, but some folks probably would have.

These emails are everywhere....I get a few a week to a couple of my generic hotmail accounts claiming the my eBay account has been used to make fake bids.....the problem with all of that is that the email addy they are sending to, is not tied to any eBay account.

This is a good reason to open special email address for yourself that only get used for specific reasons....like bill paying/eBay/PayPal etc......and then NEVER use them for anything else...especially unsecure sites. Not even for the h.org!
I pay a small fee each year to keep my own domain and have organized my own email accounts according to what i do with them. Hence...I never get spam, unless its through one of the hotmail accounts I have had for many years.

Treat your email addy like a SSN ....and get a "hotmail" type for everyday usage....that way when things go to the hotmail account, you already know it's a scam.
wink.gif

You can forward them to abuse@paypal.com but chances are they are coming from offshore and there isn't anything paypal can do about it.

<!--EDIT|DennisH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129598232 -->

shame there isnt a virus you can send them that sends everything on their computer to the feds and then makes it crash.

Back