"Paypal" emails

LadyHawk

w00t!!
Donating Member
Registered
I've been getting a lot of emails from "PayPal" to verify my account or stating that my account has been suspended. These are scams. They are trying to get your log in information.. read the tips below from PayPal's website.

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:
Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.com
Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".
Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.
Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security
How can I tell the difference between a real PayPal email and a fake one?

The term spoofing and phishing have been used to describe the act of collecting personal information using a fake email in order to commit identity theft, credit card, and Internet fraud. If you click on a link included in an email you're not sure is from PayPal, make sure the address at the top of the browser window you're brought to reads exactly www.paypal.com/us.

PayPal emails will address you by first name, last name, or business name, and NOT by Dear PayPal User or Dear PayPal Member.

If you are ever uncertain about the validity of the email or the email links, open a new web browser window and type in www.paypal.com/us.

If you think you have received a fraudulent email, forward the entire email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it from your email account.

I reported them as well seems to have taken care of it
wink.gif

Yeah I've been getting those also. I noticed when I clicked the link the site looks like paypal.com, but the web address is waaayyy off!

Got this one a while ago. I didn't click the link. I reported it. It appears to be a phishing scam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Paypal Member.
Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your paypal account and ensure a safe PayPal experience.We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us.

Click Here http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_merchant-outside and enter the details requested.

After you verify your information, your account shall be returned to good standing and you can continue to have full use of your account.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
Paypal , Inc.

I got this response from PayPal:

----------------------------------------------------
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We
can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal.
The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or
used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully.
Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this
website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this
fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal Account
and change your password and secret question and answer information. Any compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate
parties.

Back