Paypal scam email going around.

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
I just got this email...

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Dear PayPal Customer,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Case ID Number: PP-206-472-957

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

To secure your account and quickly restore full access on your account, we encourage you to log in and perform the steps necessary to restore your account access as soon as possible by clicking the link below:

Please click here to restore your account access

Failure to verify and/or update your personal records, or if you choose to ignore our request, may result in further limitations or eventual account closure.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. account.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

To modify your notification preferences, log in to your PayPal account, click the Profile sub-tab, then click the Notifications link under Account Information. Changes may take up to 10 days to be reflected in our mailings. PayPal will not sell or rent any of your personally identifiable information to third parties. For more information about the security of your information, read our Privacy Policy at https://www.paypal.com/privacy.

Copyright © 2008 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.[/quote]

It seems very real and I clicked on the link to see what was going on. The site looked just like the legit paypal site. But when I took a look at the web address at the top of the screen I noticed the web address was http://magicsells.biz/images/cgi-bin/webscr.php?cmd=_login-run
This is obviously a phishing site. So this is just a heads up to any people that may get this email. They almost had me!

this is actually an really old phishing scam..... good to be reminded of it however, most use paypal or one of the major banks.. RULE IS: never open links contained in email....

Some were "really good" and they presented a "flash" box that covered the address bar in the web browser... bad news..

The new Internet Explorer will catch these as long as the "phishing filters" are turned on

beerchug.gif

Always go directly to the site , NEVER click the link the e-mail provides it will be false .

there is that one and a chase bank one too. I'm always phishy about stuff like that
laugh.gif

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm so trusting, I'd probably lick the link without evening thinking. I need people to open my eyes to these kinds of things!
clap.gif

When paypal sends emails it is always addressed to you personally. If it is not addressed Dear (the name on the account) it is a spoof, YOU WILL NEVER RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM PAYPAL ADDRESSED DEAR PAYPAL CUSTOMER.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, the bad news is they probably get a bunch of folks.

there is that one and a chase bank one too. I'm always phishy about stuff like that
laugh.gif
I pull one or two of these file sets every month off servers..  Hackers get into client accounts through vulnerable scripts and launch the email barrage...  

I STRONGLY advise you run IE7 with phishing filters active if you are at all susceptible to clicking on things you probably should not..    IE7 will attempt to block your access to these sites when they appear to be an IP based site OR the name on the link and the actual site address are different..

laugh.gif
I pull one or two of these file sets every month off servers..  Hackers get into client accounts through vulnerable scripts and launch the email barrage...  

I STRONGLY advise you run IE7 with phishing filters active if you are at all susceptible to clicking on things you probably should not..    IE7 will attempt to block your access to these sites when they appear to be an IP based site OR the name on the link and the actual site address are different..
i have a phishing filter threw yahoo who uses norton now. are you familiar w/ this filtering
rock.gif

Thanks. I got one of those as well as one from EBay as well a few years back. The one from EBay said I MUST use the link and that I can't do it from their home site.

That right there was a big red flag...

Back