Another noise that i can't figure it out.

night_ryder

Registered
I am hearing a clicking or knocking noise whenever i go over a bump.  Sometimes i can hear it when i'm going down the road and hold in on the clutch other times i can't.  I mainly happens when i hit a bump.  Also, i can feeling it in the handle bars when it knocks or clicks, it doesn't feel like it is shimming.  The noise sounds like it is coming from the front end of the bike.  I first thought it may be the front sprocket, but it doesn't sound like it is coming from there.  Could it be the chain, stabilizer, or what?
It is a 01, 7100miles.

<!--EDIT|night_ryder
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146795553 -->

Could it be the brake shoes bouncing in their holders making the sound? I know my Roadstar makes a very audible clunk from the brakes when I hit bumps.

Ok, i took off the right and left side fairings tonight and looked it all over and found nothing. Put them back on and tightened them down. Started my bike and the noise was still there, but i do think that it is in the front area and not the sprocket/chain area. I did notice that i can just move it and turn the handle bars and hear/feel the clunck. I did also check to see if the triple clamp was loose and none of the bolts weren't but i didn't check the bolts that go through the top of the clamp. I haven't looked at the brakes yet, but now i will. If it is the brakes how can i hold them in place better.

i have alittle bit more info that may help me solve my problem. When i take the plastic that goes under the fairing that surrounds the headlight off, the noise seems to go away. If you listen for the noise you can hear it, but now it is real faint. If you put the fairing back, then i can hear the noise like before.
I just want to know what is making the noise, so i can go to the strip this friday night

Re: Another noise that i can't figure it out.

I too have the same problem. I've changed the steering cone bearings, front wheel bearings, serviced the forks, tighten all bolts and nuts I can find and changed the triple clamp rubber mountings, but the damn sound is still there. Sometimes it get so bad that I swear something is about to fall off the front end. Can someone PLEASE HELP cos its driving me NUTS. I'm thinking of letting go of my bike and getting another if I can't solve this problem. YES!! It's that serious. HELP HELP HELP......

dumb answer but could it possibly be the actual horn knocking of the front fender every time you hit a bump? that particular sound is VERY loud. don't ask me how, but that was an issue of mine a while back when i installed a new horn. just reach back towards the front fender to feel any deep scuffs. :whistle: good luck!

dumb answer but could it possibly be the actual horn knocking of the front fender every time you hit a bump? that particular sound is VERY loud. don't ask me how, but that was an issue of mine a while back when i installed a new horn. just reach back towards the front fender to feel any deep scuffs. :whistle: good luck!

+1 I had that noise also after lowering the front of bike, sure enough as soon as the horn broke noise was gone... also make sure the front wheel fender is secure an has no play.

Also remove an inspect the pads maybe a pad cracked in 1/2 :dunno: just food for thought good luck:thumbsup:

Its was my brake pads making the noise when the rotors were warped a little. Are you using HH pads by chance?

I am hearing a clicking or knocking noise whenever i go over a bump. *Sometimes i can hear it when i'm going down the road and hold in on the clutch other times i can't. *I mainly happens when i hit a bump. *Also, i can feeling it in the handle bars when it knocks or clicks, it doesn't feel like it is shimming. *The noise sounds like it is coming from the front end of the bike. *I first thought it may be the front sprocket, but it doesn't sound like it is coming from there. *Could it be the chain, stabilizer, or what?
It is a 01, 7100miles.

<!--EDIT|night_ryder
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146795553 -->

An 01 with 7100 miles; Sounds like self destruction due to not enough riding :rofl:
In all seriousness I'm glad you got it figured out, safety is paramount.

does the noise go if you keep a little pressure on the front brake lever whilst riding those bumps ( pad chatter :whistle:

Ok,I might have the solution.
The problem is that the aftermarkt of not original pads are maybe slight smaller then the stock ones.
So to solve the problem wihtout damaging or endagering yourselve of your bike I came with a solution.
You just have to find a thin piece of metal and put it ni between on the lower part.
Be sure that the piece of metal is long enough to hold both of the pads up.
You don't have to worry about the piece of metal falling cause it will be held by the disc itself on the innerside and with the padcover on the outerside.
Hopefully this will "solve" the noise issue.
Thanks for reading and ride safe.

It's probably one of your front brake discs is loose, the supports or shims (don't know the exact name) that attach the disc to the sprocket with time they tend to get a little play, wich is fine if one is a little loose, they are designed to give a little when applying the brakes and makes that clicking noise when the brake is applied...just tap the discs with a rubber hammer , no brake applied and you'll find out if you have some play...maybe is time to get new discs..

thanks for the info. I love the search button. My front end started chattering and it seemed really bad. Bystanders were looking at me funny. I narrowed it down to the front brakes by pressing the handle during the time I hear the noise. It immediately goes away. 40,000 miles, I guess it's time for some new rotors and a caliper cleaning.

JD

Back