And again..you NEED one of these

TheDude27

Donating Member
Registered
First off I want to thank Rhythm for hooking me up with the killer price.  Thanks man... On to the review:

Installation:

(Sorry didnt have my camera with me so no pics right now, might take some when I do the dampner mod tho)

Pulled the fairings and the nose(yea probably could have just pulled the nose but since this was the first time taking the fronts off I wanted to see what the deal was).  Unplugged the connector for the lighting in the nose then replaced the high beam with an 80W yellow bulb I picke up off a ricer(car) store on the internet.

Onto the HID, removed the screw holding the stock bulb and biiiiiing off flies the metal holder (probably unscrewed the wrong screw, oh well). Got lucky and found it no problem, pulled the stock off and put in the new (yes you need the foam gasket in there) lining up the tab so that the bulb is properly aligned. After 5 mins of playing with the holder thingy got it back on properly.
Now I wanted to hook all the connectors up to make sure the thing worked before I mounted everything.  pluged the 2 waterproof connectors in and then noticed that the supplied plug from the lighting harness to the ballast wouldnt fit.  Not sure what happened here but no big deal...I removed the spade plugs from the plug on the HID kit but cutting them out of their connector and then heat shrinked some tubing to leave only the necessary part of the connector exposed.  Pluged white into white and black to black/White.  Turn on the key and viola light.  I left it on for ~10mins at this point since the instructions say to burn them in the first time you use them.

Now to find places to mount the ballast and ignitor.  Ignitor was easy, I used the top turn signal lens mounting screw on the right side and an couple of small washers to mount the ignitor (with the bulk of the ignitor facing towards the fairing).  This essentially took up zero useable space behind the fairing.

Now to mount the ballast.  I used the metal bracket that the gages are connected to.  Drilled a 1/4 hole(Carefull not to go into the gage cluster) below the existing oblong hole and mounted the ballast with the tab BEHIND the bracket using a small 1/4-20 grade 8 bolt and nut with red loctite.  This gave me plenty of space for the bulb housing to sit and easy access to the ballast plugs in case I needed to get at them for some reason.  Also it lets full air circulation around the ballast to keep it reasonably cool.  
  I then made sure that everything was zip tied properly so there wouldn't be any problems with loose cables getting anywhere near any steering components and buttoned her up.

HID impressions:

After turning on the light intitially it was hard to tell how bright it was since it was ~5pm and sunny.  But looking into the light housing for a second and having those sun spots in my eyes for about 5 mins let me know they were pretty damn bright.

So I loaded the wife and took off for a ride.  I started noticing how ridiculously bright it was when I saw the reflection from the HID on street signs and the sun was still fully out.  fast forward to sunset.  WOW...yea, everyone needs these, my one headlight on LOW was equivaltent to at least 2 low beams from a good car lighting system and the 5K light is so brilliant white it made seeing things on the road very easy.  You can tell it hurts the cagers eyes a bit as I got brighted once with only my lows on (bastid was too quick for me to demonstrate what bright really was (HID plus upgraded 80W High beams)) so I tried to ride a little further back when following cages.  Although its probably not as bad as riding with both beams on all the time like i used to since the HID is aimed downward more than the High beam, I still took a little pity on them and rode further back.

Fantastic mod, Its like wielding the light from the SUN as your own personal flashlight.  I will never be without HID on a bike again.

Another satisfied HID addict!
smile.gif

It's amazing how much better things become when you can see!

I love my HID.. its super bright. I probibly could adjust it up some more.
also thanks Rhythm for the hook up

super.gif
Good deal fellaz, I'm always glad to hear the postive feedback from you all that have purchased a Xenon Kit and lQQkn fwd to seeing everybody here get one soon.
super.gif

Also dont forget, if anyone is looking to purchase a full kit Scorpio alarm designed for motorcycles contact KS-Waterbug for group discount.

Ty

super.gif

Agreed. I got the 5000K myself and yes, bright maybe a understatement.

I swapped the wiring on mine so I can control my HID (still in the LowBeam housing) with the OEM highbeam switch on the clutchside handle. This way, my "highbeam" becomes the constant "on" and I can leave my HID during the day, but flip it on at night after I started my bike.

Just something to consider.

While riding my friends R1 the past 3 days, I got a chance to see my bike cruising without me on it, the dang HID's are bright as fugg! They hurt my eyes when he came up behind me. ( My friend was riding my bike ) I might have to aim the low beam down a tad. NJ.

DSCI0017.JPG

hey dude27, which application did you get? i threw the 10K kit on, and i get flashed by lexus', infiniti', bmw's, its a real head turner as well. well dude its a little too late to tell you this now, but i through mine in without having to remove the nose or fairing...:blush: i simply took out the innner black plastic panels and that saved alot of time... NJ, adjusting the beam wont help to much.... the busa headlight housing is constructed for halogen bulb applications. putting the hid in scatters the light, like the sun, thats why bmws and such have small controlled housing...
wink.gif

hey dude27, which application did you get? i threw the 10K kit on, and i get flashed by lexus', infiniti', bmw's, its a real head turner as well. well dude its a little too late to tell you this now, but i through mine in without having to remove the nose or fairing...:blush:  i simply took out the innner black plastic panels and that saved alot of time... NJ, adjusting the beam wont help to much.... the busa headlight housing is constructed for halogen bulb applications. putting the hid in scatters the light, like the sun, thats why bmws and such have small controlled housing...
wink.gif
Running the 5K (brilliant white color) kit, supposedly the most light but not as much bling factor, although I dont know if anyone needs this much light
smile.gif
I'm glad this worked out so well I really didnt want to mount those tiny PIAA lights but I really needed more light for distance rides.

I took the black undernose piece(and the top 2 black covers that are in front of the tank) off as well and didn't look like enough room in there to do everything that way? How in the hell did you manage removal/mounting in that tiny space? Do you hands now look like you unsucessfully tried to defuse a bomb??? haha
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back