An Opinion Is Worth 1000cc's

I miss my '05 Gsxr1000 quite often. I loved the lightness of it, and the brute power.. But the comfort level was unacceptable for me, and from the pics I've seen, I think we are about the same "build"...

Let's just say I have more "upper body" weight than lower body. The Gsxr was just too much on my wrists for everyday riding. Fun riding it was awesome, freeway riding SUCKED!

I miss my '05 Gsxr1000 quite often. I loved the lightness of it, and the brute power.. But the comfort level was unacceptable for me, and from the pics I've seen, I think we are about the same "build"...

Let's just say I have more "upper body" weight than lower body. The Gsxr was just too much on my wrists for everyday riding. Fun riding it was awesome, freeway riding SUCKED!

The 09 up gsxr is closer from the bars to the seat. It doesnt stretch you out like the 01-08 Gsxr 1ks! Reason why I got one, its narrower and smaller in all the right places. You sit up more, and I can ride it for several hours without any issues!

Already have my dream 1000.

2.jpg

War69, its seems like you and I have a few of the same toys in the stable! Love the look of the Taylor made system! Come on Dan, be apart of TEAM GIXXER!:poke::laugh:

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

0K6X0247.jpg

Wow! You guys are full of good information. Thanks a lot for all the comments. :thumbsup:

I got the May Sport Rider in the mail today. The 2012 GSXR is on the cover with a full write up.

Well, of the 3 you listed i would take the Gixxer, always loved the Gixxers. I could not come close to riding any of these to their potential, so that doesnt factor in for me, I just like the Zuk. BUT, When I do get a 1K, you know what it will BMW. :laugh:

wallpaper_1440x900_S1000RR_01.jpg

Well, of the 3 you listed i would take the Gixxer, always loved the Gixxers. I could not come close to riding any of these to their potential, so that doesnt factor in for me, I just like the Zuk. BUT, When I do get a 1K, you know what it will BMW. :laugh:

Oh, I'm well aware of how you feel about it. :laugh:

White's has a sweet 2011 blue/white GSXR-1000. Who know's what I'll end up doing though...

Thanks for posting, Tim. I'm did a little shopping around yesterday, but today I'm heading to a dealership that should have all of these bikes (and a lot more) under one roof. That should make for better comparisons.

I still haven't been able to find any power numbers for the 2012 GSXR, but I did look up the 2011. I didn't realize that it was so much stronger than the CBR and R1. Do you have any idea how much difference there is between the brakes on the 2011 and 2012?
If you could swing it I would look around for a clean, low mileage used 2011 ZX10 or possibly even BMW 1000. Even the 2008-2010 3rd gen 10's are awesome bikes, as well as a few years old BMW in excellent shape. New bikes are a poor purchase, they depreciate badly and quickly, and you can find a nice used R1 or CBR for WAY WAY less than a new one, and they're basically unchanged. Even the GSXR hasn't gained a single hp according to this months Sport Rider magazine. Just a few VERY minor tweaks. In this economy, clean, low mileage used is the smartest choice imo, some awesome deals to be had out there :laugh:

If you could swing it I would look around for a clean, low mileage used 2011 ZX10 or possibly even BMW 1000. Even the 2008-2010 3rd gen 10's are awesome bikes, as well as a few years old BMW in excellent shape. New bikes are a poor purchase, they depreciate badly and quickly, and you can find a nice used R1 or CBR for WAY WAY less than a new one, and they're basically unchanged. Even the GSXR hasn't gained a single hp according to this months Sport Rider magazine. Just a few VERY minor tweaks. In this economy, clean, low mileage used is the smartest choice imo, some awesome deals to be had out there :laugh:

I know what you mean about saving the money by going with used. I've just never been able to trust a used sport bike. Maybe if it were going to be a track only machine, but for my primary ride... I just don't know. It would have to belong to someone I know, who has taken good care of it. Of the three sport bikes I've owned, all were purchased new, but they were non-current model years. So far, that has saved me several thousand dollars off of MSRP.

I think I've pretty much narrowed the search down to two bikes. One is a 2011, the other is a 2012. We'll see what happens... :laugh:

I know what you mean about saving the money by going with used. I've just never been able to trust a used sport bike. Maybe if it were going to be a track only machine, but for my primary ride... I just don't know. It would have to belong to someone I know, who has taken good care of it. Of the three sport bikes I've owned, all were purchased new, but they were non-current model years. So far, that has saved me several thousand dollars off of MSRP.

I think I've pretty much narrowed the search down to two bikes. One is a 2011, the other is a 2012. We'll see what happens... :laugh:

which ones, which ones? :laugh:

Seriously tho Daniel, why are you thinking of letting the busa go anyways?

Honestly, (yes i know this is a busa forum) but I could never have a busa as my everyday ride even tho I love the way they look. They just aren't my type of bike. They are too big for my taste and feel like I am IN the busa riding. I prefer to be on a smaller bike where I feel ON TOP of the bike. I, personally, am more confortable on my CBR and GSXR than on a busa for that reason only. Is this the case with you?

The only concern I have with you and a smaller bike is simply the long distance riding ability. You are at least 6'2" and when you are that tall or more, it starts to feel cramped on a liter bike. Do you thing you could make the ride we did the other day on a liter bike? Have you sat on one long enough to get a feel where your legs are compared to the busa?

Just questions I think of when someone is thinking of going from a bigger bike to smaller :beerchug:

On the other hand, Ronnie seemed to do ok on that GSXR the other day and he rode way further than we did.. And you have him by quite a bit in the age department.

I understand your sentiments :thumbsup: But I've personally bought and owned many low mileage, clean pretty much stock sportbikes of all types and ages.....never had a problem. If you get one thats stock or very close to it, and low miles, you're usually getting a bike that hasn't been ridden as much as parked in the garage and admired. You'd be amazed how many folks buy a bike then never ride it :laugh: As long as its clean, low mileage, and not safety wired and all stock (bodywork and all) it'll usually be a pretty good bike. Thats why clean stock bikes are sometimes worth almost as much, or more then modded bikes, because guys who are hard on their bikes usually mod them up pretty good. Guys who leave them stock are usually mostly cruisers :laugh:
Either way though enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

Dan with whichever one you get... I hope you are happy with it, be it new or used! If its a GSXR let me know, I am here to help! :rulez::laugh:

which ones, which ones? :laugh:

Seriously tho Daniel, why are you thinking of letting the busa go anyways?

Honestly, (yes i know this is a busa forum) but I could never have a busa as my everyday ride even tho I love the way they look. They just aren't my type of bike. They are too big for my taste and feel like I am IN the busa riding. I prefer to be on a smaller bike where I feel ON TOP of the bike. I, personally, am more confortable on my CBR and GSXR than on a busa for that reason only. Is this the case with you?

The only concern I have with you and a smaller bike is simply the long distance riding ability. You are at least 6'2" and when you are that tall or more, it starts to feel cramped on a liter bike. Do you thing you could make the ride we did the other day on a liter bike? Have you sat on one long enough to get a feel where your legs are compared to the busa?

Just questions I think of when someone is thinking of going from a bigger bike to smaller :beerchug:

On the other hand, Ronnie seemed to do ok on that GSXR the other day and he rode way further than we did.. And you have him by quite a bit in the age department.

Jay, you bring up some good points. I haven't completely decided just yet, but only one of the two bikes is a 1000. :laugh:

I know what you mean about being in the bike vs being on it. I think it would be comfortable enough, but I'm not sure for how long. I've sat on several of them, but haven't been on an extended ride. I asked Ronnie several times how he felt throughout the day riding that GSXR, and he always said he was fine. I was surprised to hear it since he probably did 300 miles that day. So the long range comfort issue is still a big question mark for me, but I know it wouldn't be like the Busa.

The 1000 idea sounds great, but I'm not sure it's the best way to go right now. We'll see soon enough.

Not to create suspense or anything... :laugh:

Back